Thoughts on Ready To drink Diet Shakes any suggestions?

Options
I feel like I am asking a loaded question here, but I swear my intentions are good.

The reason I ask, is I have a weird work schedule that has me working right through supper with no break (I don't work enough hours for a full supper break). So it's really hard for me to eat a proper meal at suppertime. I go in at 3:00 and I'm certainly not ready for supper at 2:30pm. I always eat a good breakfast and lunch on days I work, but I find supper to be a struggle. What usually happens is I'm starving and on my way home I take a turn through the drive through and ultimately order something that isn't even close to being a good choice.

So I've been thinking about having some sort of ready to drink "diet" shake or protein shake or whatever that I can drink (eat?) while at work and still get a proper nutritional meal out of it.

Anyway- Are there ones out there that are better then others? Which ones taste good? A gal at work suggested the regular chocolate Kirkland brand at Costco. Does anyone have any thoughts?

For those of you who use them to replace a meal on occasion has it impacted (either way) your weight loss?

Replies

• LSwan2
    LSwan2 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi, cwade, I haven't been at this very long, but I have used the equate brand from Walmart and I just bought the slim supreme brand from Meijer and I have found them to be very helpful. They are nutritious and give you necessary vitamins and can fill in the blank until you can do something different. I would recommend using the meal shake for a meal. :) Linda Swan
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Can't ya bring a sandwich, salad, soup or something to eat? I work that shift too and I just bring something to eat on my break. 5-10 minutes is all it takes to eat, I mean they can give ya that!~
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I drink protein shakes, but I don't replace a meal with them.
    This was in interesting article I read (It could be wrong, it did not have 'written by Jesus' at the bottom)
    http://herbalwater.typepad.com/ayalas_herbal_water/2012/01/study-shows-liquid-calories-trick-body-and-mind-to-overeat.html

Basically it boils down to...when your body is hungry it wants food. Taking something high calorie in the form of a liquid doesn't satisfy this urge. Just like people say 'If you think you're hungry try drinking water' because that might be what the body wants.

I've tried slimfast, Ensure, and....gaaaaaaaaaaaaaah what was it called?
    I can't remember...but everytime I used them I still felt really hungry.
    Not to mention the carbs on some of those suckers (Though that doesn't apply if you're not watching carbs.)

I'll be interested to see other people's replies on this topic though. :)
  • babersbh
    Options
    I find that I never have enough time to have a decent breakfast either so I have been using Body by Vi shakes. They fill me up, are quick and easy to make and seem to give me more energy, plus are loaded with extra fibre and vitamins that I normally wouldn't be getting.
    I have never made one ahead of time and drank it later, so not too sure how well that would work for you, but they have definitely worked well for me! :)
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i've given a few of them a try, though i doubt giving you brands would be helpful because i'm in australia. they were handy in tiding me over, but i reckon having them for dinner would leave me hungry in the middle of the night - they don't seem to last as long as a real meal. I'm with 30purple.. why don't you take a sandwich?