butternut squash - Need simple recipes

Options
monicalosesweight
monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
I just bought a bag of pre-cut cubes of butternut squash and I want to know the best way to prepare it. This will be the first time I've ever tried Butternut Squash so please give simple, easy ways to prepare. Thanks.

Replies

• melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'd make it into a soup.

Chop some onion and sweat in a little oil. Add the cubes of squash and let them coat in the oil for a minute. Pour in some stock. Simmer until tender (20-30 mins). Blend if you like a smooth soup, serve sprinkled with grated cheese, crumbles of crispy bacon, croutons, sunflower seeds, anything to give a bit of crunch.
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Roast it. I like to put it in a baking tray with some garlic and rosemary and then spray with oil and then cook until its soft. About 30-40 mins. It's gorgeous that way and you can add it to risotto or pasta as well as having it as a side with meat. Nom nom.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    bumperoo
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Roast it. I like to put it in a baking tray with some garlic and rosemary and then spray with oil and then cook until its soft. About 30-40 mins. It's gorgeous that way and you can add it to risotto or pasta as well as having it as a side with meat. Nom nom.

This. You can also toss it in a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar prior to roasting. It will be sweet and lovely. Like me.
  • Tunky1963
    Tunky1963 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I slice it up and layer it with slices of baking apples, then I either add water or a little apple juice. Sprinkle some brown splenda on the top, cover with foil and bake. It's really good!
  • jenzjourney
    jenzjourney Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is how I have made it before too ;) Really tasty!

This. You can also toss it in a mixture of olive oil and balsamic vinegar prior to roasting. It will be sweet and lovely. Like me.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amybeth83
    amybeth83 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My absolute favorite way to make butternut squash is with sugar-free maple syrup (you could also use regular syrup, but this has less calories).

I spread the squash out on a baking sheet and add just a little bit of water to the pan to soften the squash. I bake it for about 15 minutes, tossing it once to soften the squash. Take the squash out and add the sugar free maple syrup - I usually do a few drops per piece depending on how large they are. You can also add a sprinkling of cinnamon on top, OR pumpkin pie spice...this really tastes wonderful. Once you've added the maple syrup, bake for another 30 minutes or so until it's soft and caramelized on top.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yum. They all sound amazing! I'm going to have a tough time deciding which to pick. Wow. Thanks guys! I'm planning on actually making this tomorrow so this was perfect timing. I decided to hold off the other day due to a delay in frozen meat. Grin. The nice part is that now I have a large variety of amazing recipes to try out.
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Onions - 1/2-1 cup, chopped
    Garlic - 2 cloves, minced
    Butter or oil, 1 tbsp
    Squash - Butternut, 2.5 cup, cubes
    Apple- 1, small, chopped
    Chicken Stock, 2 Cup

Sautee your onions and garlic in butter or oil until soft. Add butternut squash and apple and cook for a few minutes. Add the stock and let it simmer until everything is very soft. The length of time depends on the size of your squash and apple chunks. I suggest cutting them small so they cook faster. Blend with an immersion blender, or in batches in a regular blender (make sure not to fill the blender all the way, because the soup will expand as you blend it and you don't want it to explode and burn you). Thin the puree out with water until it's the desired consistency (I used about a cup of water). This makes about 3 cups of soup (more if you use more water to thin it out) and it's just over 140 calories per cup of soup. I like to top the soup with chives and a dollop of creme fraiche (You can also use sour cream or even cream cheese instead) to make it a little creamy.
  • SonoraflowerKim
    Options
    Bump...

I will be using this thread in about 3 weeks as we have about 200 to harvest in the family garden.

I know we do a "pumpkin" pie but use butternut squash instead.

I'd suggest going to www.allrecipes.com to see what they might have there too :-)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I just bought a bag of pre-cut cubes of butternut squash and I want to know the best way to prepare it. This will be the first time I've ever tried Butternut Squash so please give simple, easy ways to prepare. Thanks.

I just put it in Pyrex pan with some water and bake them in the oven. I top them with a tiny pat of butter or ghee, or olive oil and sometimes a bit of honey, and sometimes nutmeg.
  • GreyhoundGuru
    GreyhoundGuru Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • jkmiller82
    jkmiller82 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I made this recipe a couple weeks ago, it was great and easy to slim down with some small substitutions (light cheese, skim milk, etc)

http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/11/roasted-butternut-baked-penne/
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Soup is the best way to go, but if you have the time, homemade ravioli with pureed squash filling is amazing! The squash makes for a creamy filling without the guilt of a bunch of cheese. I think Cooking Light has quite a few good recipes.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    My absolute favorite way to make butternut squash is with sugar-free maple syrup (you could also use regular syrup, but this has less calories).

I spread the squash out on a baking sheet and add just a little bit of water to the pan to soften the squash. I bake it for about 15 minutes, tossing it once to soften the squash. Take the squash out and add the sugar free maple syrup - I usually do a few drops per piece depending on how large they are. You can also add a sprinkling of cinnamon on top, OR pumpkin pie spice...this really tastes wonderful. Once you've added the maple syrup, bake for another 30 minutes or so until it's soft and caramelized on top.

this. except, i put mine in a casserole dish, melt a tablespoon of butter (or spread) and 2 tablespoons of maple syrup. mix this together, and pour it over the chunks, stir it up, and bake about 35 minutes. i put the top on it too, to keep in the falvor.
    also really tasty with acorn squash
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Take cube. Wrap in wonton wrapper. Boil in water like ravioli.
  • lhather
    lhather Posts: 25
    Options
    bump :happy:
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Take cube. Wrap in wonton wrapper. Boil in water like ravioli.
    Love this idea! Do you use anything as a sauce or eat them plain?
  • janiegross
    janiegross Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks