Unexplained Weight Loss?

Options
There are a lot of smart folks on here so I want to know what you all think of this.

I've struggled with my weight since I was a kid and I joined this site about two years ago to get into better shape and health.
I lost a good amount before life made me put it aside for a while (and I was at a healthy place that I was comfortable with) and I was happy I could maintain that loss fairly well with only a little gained back.

Recently, however; I have not only been able to maintain but I'm losing again... with zero effort. I know, "lucky you!" right? But I'm starting to get worried. Granted I am still a bit chubby in places but I'm smaller than I've been in years and it seems like it keeps coming off no matter what I eat. I joined back up to see if I could track my eating habits and see if there is a reason for this. I eat more/worse and work out significantly less than I did when I was losing 1-2 pounds a week. Now I've lost about 10lbs in about 6 weeks and it just doesn't seem right. Otherwise I really feel fine. My family doesn't think this is something I should worry about 'cause I'm not a stick figure or anything and I'm not super tired. I've had no stomach issues or anything either. Like a lot of people around me, I have had some kinda cold/low fever thing for a few weeks but nothing severe. I'm only getting worried cause this is so abnormal for my body and it doesn't seem to be stopping like I thought it would.

Should I see a doctor about it or is it likely I am just being paranoid?

Thank you ahead of time for your answers! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't hurt to get a check up from your doctor
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of smart folks on here so I want to know what you all think of this.

I've struggled with my weight since I was a kid and I joined this site about two years ago to get into better shape and health.
    I lost a good amount before life made me put it aside for a while (and I was at a healthy place that I was comfortable with) and I was happy I could maintain that loss fairly well with only a little gained back.

Recently, however; I have not only been able to maintain but I'm losing again... with zero effort. I know, "lucky you!" right? But I'm starting to get worried. Granted I am still a bit chubby in places but I'm smaller than I've been in years and it seems like it keeps coming off no matter what I eat. I joined back up to see if I could track my eating habits and see if there is a reason for this. I eat more/worse and work out significantly less than I did when I was losing 1-2 pounds a week. Now I've lost about 10lbs in about 6 weeks and it just doesn't seem right. Otherwise I really feel fine. My family doesn't think this is something I should worry about 'cause I'm not a stick figure or anything and I'm not super tired. I've had no stomach issues or anything either. Like a lot of people around me, I have had some kinda cold/low fever thing for a few weeks but nothing severe. I'm only getting worried cause this is so abnormal for my body and it doesn't seem to be stopping like I thought it would.

Should I see a doctor about it or is it likely I am just being paranoid?

Thank you ahead of time for your answers! :flowerforyou:

It never hurts to check with your doctor. However the following might help:

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, allergies, hormones, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.
  • FoodandFitness
    FoodandFitness Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Go visit your doctor.

Continue to monitor your weight and record your eating habits.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    See your doctor. If they don't know what is going on- see an oncologist. I have had many friends who have suddenly lost weight and it ended up being cancer. One friend had a blockage in their liver. Early detection is very important. If it ends up being nothing - rejoice!
  • mzfitns
    mzfitns Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would make an appointment with your Dr. , but it sounds like you might have had a bout of mono. Low grade fever, some slight tiredness. The test is pretty simple and can tell you if you have encountered the virus recently. Hope this helps.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    If it feel wrong, see a doctor.
    Is it possible that you kept more of the good habits than you realized? You rejoined to check. Even if you're not being as good as when you were losing weight intentionally, maybe you're still being better than you thought, and after a bit of a plateau/reset, your body is now ready to lose again (eat more 2 lose weight?).
    But if you're worried, go see a doctor and check. You know your body best, and stressing about it isn't good for you either.
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    I agree that it couldn't hurt to at least see what a doc says.
    Thank you all for helping me feel less weird about doing so.
  • Threebabymama
    Options
    I would get your Thyroid checked. There are 2 types of Thyroid disease. One that makes you gain weight, Hypo or one that makes you loose weight, Hyper. So just get it checked out.

Hooray for extra weight loss though. Check with your Dr if you are really worried. :)
  • ChassityGetsFit
    ChassityGetsFit Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It very well could be that your body has gotten used to what you were doing before and by taking a break your body readjusted. I've heard Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels (and others) say that in order to get your body out of the plateau that you should eat more and work out less. Perhaps that is what you started doing and your body responded. Sometimes I even lose weight when I'm not eating my healthiest and I wonder why, and it was probably something to do with my body readjusting. It never hurts to see a doctor if you are concerned. The only thing that could happen is either they tell you something is wrong and then it was good that you went, or they tell you you're fine and it will put you at ease and reduce stress! :)
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    It very well could be that your body has gotten used to what you were doing before and by taking a break your body readjusted. I've heard Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels (and others) say that in order to get your body out of the plateau that you should eat more and work out less. Perhaps that is what you started doing and your body responded. Sometimes I even lose weight when I'm not eating my healthiest and I wonder why, and it was probably something to do with my body readjusting. It never hurts to see a doctor if you are concerned. The only thing that could happen is either they tell you something is wrong and then it was good that you went, or they tell you you're fine and it will put you at ease and reduce stress! :)

Some other have said this too and I have never thought of it before. I hope this is what is happening but I'll still go to a doctor just to make sure. The body can be so weird! :tongue:
  • ColeyCannoli
    Options
    See your doctor. If they don't know what is going on- see an oncologist. I have had many friends who have suddenly lost weight and it ended up being cancer. One friend had a blockage in their liver. Early detection is very important. If it ends up being nothing - rejoice!

Whelp, that's terrifying. Though this totally gives me a good reason to tell my family I'm not completely nuts.

I'm sorry about your friends. :frown:
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stripeybelly
    stripeybelly Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    See your doctor, but don't freak out too much. Unexplained weight loss could be a lot of things. Overactive thyroid is the first thing that comes to my mind (as someone else mentioned). Does need treated though, so don't just write that off!
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    You have a point. However I don't think that will result in a 10 pound weight loss in just 6 weeks. I agree that only a doctor can give you the best answer to this.
  • RumAndEthics
    RumAndEthics Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Get it checked out...unexplained weight loss is also a symptom of diabetes. But if its not that or any of the above mentioned, then well done ;)
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You should definately see your doctor. I wouldn't freak out because it could be many things. However, I have known people who lost weight for no reason and they were later diagnosed with cancer.
  • mjtull
    mjtull Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How many calories does fitness pall say you ate during this unexplained weight loss? If the calories don't add up consider thyroid, depression, stress,illnes .
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    My 22 year old son started dropping weight fairly rapidly right after the beginning of the year.

He was running a slight fever, off and on.

I kept asking him if he felt okay, because something just wasn't right.

He started getting really tired. Like every time he sat down for a few minutes he fell asleep.

Well, he was working two jobs, going to school full time, and has a girlfriend. Of course he's tired.

Then he started getting really pale. Really pale. Like vampire jokes pale.

He kept telling me he was fine and he just hadn't been in the sun much and he had the 40 lbs to lose.

Then one day he said hey mom, what are these bumps on my neck? Swollen lymph nodes. He finally told me there was one under his arm that had been swollen for a couple months.

I made him go top the doctor at that point.

He was admitted to the hospital that night and diagnosed with stage 4 Hodgkin Lymphoma that week. He started chemo therapy at the end of June. He will continue to receive chemo every other Friday through December.

It hasn't been easy, but the good news is Hodgkin's is curable and he is responding very well to the treatment. He's not completely out of the woods yet, but it looks like he will be okay.

I should have trusted my mother's instincts and made him go get it checked out earlier.

Please, go to your doctor. Unexplained weight loss, combined with low grade flu-ish symptoms should NOT be ignored.

Good luck to you, I really hope it is nothing.
  • GabyG69
    GabyG69 Posts: 213
    Options
    Definitely go see your doctor.. I've known of people that started losing weight without trying to and were later diagnosed with an overactive thyroid.. Good luck!