My story. (Some humor included.)

Options
TinGirl314
TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
Ok so there was a post asking to hear people's stories. Apparently it's gone...Wouldn't you know I ended my post with 'I hope this board never crashes because I never want to type all of that again.'?

So. I'm going to post my story here...LOL.
Warning, it's a mouthful.

" My story was very slow for a very long time.
I've been obese since I was about eleven years old. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was fourteen and was in plus sizes by the time I was 15/16. The funny part was that I spent half of my life on a diet...I tried the Atkins diet for almost two years, I did a three day diet they gave to surgical patients for the week before. It didn't take long before I completely gave up. The highest I remember my weight being was 370. I refused to weigh myself for about two years. It kind of shook me up, but I didn't think it was possible. I met my second boyfriend when I was 23...I wasn't sitting in the house all day. I would go to work for ten hours, and go straight to his house. The weight started falling off...and during our first two years together I managed to get down to about 280. My ex and I had begun going to the gym together at night, it felt really good. We enjoyed doing it together too. It was great. Then my Borderline Personality Disorder started to peak, and I stopped doing everything. It ended up breaking us up, and the next two years were devoted to mental health. My physical health wasn't even on my mind. The health problems started to creep in during my relationship with my ex. I had a pancreantitis attack due to high triglycerides. I remember the doctor telling the nurse to wait to see if I was going to need a room. It was pretty bad. My blood sugar rested at about 400 daily. My blood sugar was stage two hypertensive. I just stopped going to the doctor.
It was pretty uneventful, until I was with C (Another now ex, but best friend.) C was not like the people I had around me normally. It was completely normal for him to wake up and being doing things (Errands, cleaning, hiking, shopping, moving things, clearing a garage) from the time he woke up till the time we went to bed. He also got me to stop eating out all the time...which is probably the healthiest thing I've done. Toward the end of our relationship, and even now after, he has completely turned his health around. I never thought he was heavy to begin with! He had muscles, he was really strong and never seemed out of breath like I was. I've watched him drop about 50 pounds. he is in the best shape of his life.
While I'm watching this happen one day on the way to work I feel a pain in my chest. I called my boss and said that I thought I needed to go to an urgent care center. After getting my EKG when the nurse came in I expected to hear that everything was fine and that I'd be heading to work soon. The nurse said that the lead doctor would be in to speak with me in a minute.
Okay.
She said that my EKG was abnormal, and that they thought I should go to a hospital right away. She said it might be nothing but what they found requires more testing. At the hospital the nurse explained to me that my EKG showed permanent damage that frequently occurs after a heart attack. I wish I could say that I did something right away, but for a few weeks I didn't really do anything. I knew what to do, but I didn't think I could do it. With some more encouragement from C I started moving more, and watching what I ate. It took a solid two months for me to learn everything. I was shocked by portion sizes and how many calories certain things were. Maybe I wasn't doomed by PCOS and diabetes. I managed to get from 273 back to 260, and then I found MFP.
I started logging everything. At first I signed up for the 2 pounds a week thinking it wouldn't be hard...no. Lol.I moved things around and tried different activities, got a membership at Planet Fitness. Settled on 1700 calories a day and half of my earned calories. Since August 8th I've lost 16 pounds, and recently bought my first pair of 18 pants since 8th grade. I even own a pair of 16/18 leggins. The funny thing is it isn't even hard anymore. The hunger has subsided, things taste differently. I usually eat around 130-150 grams of carbs a day which has resulted in me having two hypoglycemic episodes this week. x.x My blood pressure is down from 150-160/120-110 to 137/80. Everything just falls into place. It's so much easier being able to talk to everyone else who is in my shoes and seeing people's success stories.

And here we are. 244 and counting.
Thanks for this thread, I'm looking forward to reading people's stories.
I hope this board never crashes because that was a lot to type. :p"

Just in case anyone is feeling defeated tonight, you can do this! Really. :)

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. You've had a hell of a lot of obstacles and have a tremendous attitude -- thanks for sharing your story!
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    You really understand yourself, I admire that. Stay on your path, sounds like you know the direction. Bless you.
  • sevencallmemom
    sevencallmemom Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You go girl!
  • quillsHP
    quillsHP Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you. You've overcome so much and you just keep going. In short...YOU ROCK :D
  • lwoodroff
    lwoodroff Posts: 1,431 Member
    Options
    well done, and well done for listening to your body and doing something every day to help it!
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time to re-type that is it was great to read - you have had a lot of obstacles and have come out really strong - great job :)
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, your support means a lot. :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!