Hairy Dieters

Options
Hi Gang,

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I just love the Hairy Bikers new book and tv show - How to Love Food and lose Weight.

Those from the UK are most likley to know what I am talking about, but the basic premise of the book is a day to day cookbook that has all of our favourite types of food, including bad for you foods but tweaked to be better for us either by reducing the portions, calories, substituting ingredients etc...

Example recipies are - Skinny Lasange, replacing the pasta with blanched leek sheets, really really tasty and far less carbs than if you had the pasta.

When you watch the tv show, not only are Dave and Si seriously likeable guys but they use their own recipes to lose weight themselves, they have lost 3st each in 3 months ! - I know some of the nutrionist guys out there might have a thing to say about that, but that is serious weight loss.

Now I know that some people may say "Nothing new here" but this book has really really helped me lose the weight I have lost so far (12lbs) yet still eating really well, with the right nutrients to maintain a healthy balance. Yes I go to the gym aswell but combine the 2 together and getting fit and losing weight is no longer a chore, in fact its amazingly rewarding.

So it may not be everybodies cup of tea, but thought I would mention it on here as its working for me and I love it !

Cheers
Gav

Replies

• thethei
    Options
    Couldn't agree more, if you are into curries - try the recipes they are awesome and it's working for me too.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I watched the show but I have yet to actually make a recipe, not sure that I will. Glad it's working for you though!
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    |'ve used slice zucchini strips as a pasta-substitute before. It works great! Never hear of using leeks though. Will have to try that one. :bigsmile:
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    sounds interesting and I'd like to get the book. .... I went online to the Scooby Workshop to figure out how to eat more to lose weight. He breaks down in simple terms the basic ways to lose weight without suffering. Substitutions - like this book you like, is one way he says people can easily lose weight. I like that idea far more than eating a mere 1200 calories a day.
  • kazhowe
    kazhowe Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Me and hubby have tried some of their recipe's - got them online as I haven't been able to get hold of the book yet!! They are delicious :drinker:
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Love them and love the book!

Just not sure how those two strapping men managed on 1200 cals a day!
  • nixxy74
    nixxy74 Posts: 106
    Options
    Me and hubby have tried some of their recipe's - got them online as I haven't been able to get hold of the book yet!! They are delicious :drinker:

hi

i got a copy at the weekend from waterstones no problem!
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It was great wasn't it! I am still waiting to get the book & plan to try some of the recipes.
    Lovely to see my mate Liz on the show - or less of her anyway!!
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I ordered my copy from the book people - loads cheaper than everywhere else and they had them in stock when everyone else had sold out :-)

I love it - made a few of the recipes and everyone is a success!! xx
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    As a hairy dieter myself i'm a massive fan of the bikers. They're top blokes!

I'll have to treat myself to their book and do a few of their meals.

Also, you're wearing a pink floyd t-shirt and that makes you cool :)
  • LivingInPuglia
    LivingInPuglia Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I loved the show, going to get the book. Have made the Chicken Korma and the Chicken Bake - Spanish Style. Both are great.

But a word of caution .... you may need to check the calorie count on some of the recipes .... eg the Chicken Bake - Hairy Bikers say it is 370 cals per portion but I couldn't get it lower than 500 cals per portion. In the recipe they don't give a weight for the chicken thighs ..... a little confusing
  • Tazzymk
    Tazzymk Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I will check that out, thanks for recommending it. Can always use new meal ideas the whole family will enjoy. :wink:
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Have to first an foremost say I love Si & Dave I love their series including this one an their recipe books

I've tried there Redo roast curry chicken and skinny lasagna both turned out so well thoroughly recommended both!!

Big thing for me though was how they did it, not my thing, I just can't eat that lower kcals without turning into a prize B* but am so pleased it worked for them!
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Yes I go to the gym aswell but combine the 2 together and getting fit and losing weight is no longer a chore, in fact its amazingly rewarding.

So it may not be everybodies cup of tea, but thought I would mention it on here as its working for me and I love it !

It is definitely my cup of tea. The pies are amazing with so little calories. Since my husband bought the book for my birthday I make my own muesli and beef burgers on a regular basis. The stuff is really simple to make and since August, my birthday and also when I joined here I have lost 4lbs.

Good on you for losing 12lbs Gav
  • martazdz
    martazdz Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I got it last week cheap from tesco, haven't cooked anything from it yet but can't wait, everything looks so yummy :)
  • ruthio77
    ruthio77 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Also, you're wearing a pink floyd t-shirt and that makes you cool :)

This is an actual fact! :happy:
  • Alpina483
    Alpina483 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Did not know there's a book but loved the show. Thanks internet for being able to )) Adjusting favourite recipes to cut calories but keep the flavour sounds like a very reasonable approach to me. There were a few stretches though, but it's in the nature of TV shows I believe. Take the meat, etc.
  • lynz4589
    lynz4589 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Got the book at the weekend, have a day off on Friday and so will not only be planning my weekly shopd around the recipes but also have a "dinner party" with my sister and her boyfriend on Saturday. Theres only the 4 of us so a great way to experiment. Going to cook the skinny lasagne and the swiss roll as a treat :) If it works as well as I think it will then Im making my family a swiss roll for christmas lol. Cant wait, spent most of Sunday morning reading through the book and I actually think their recipe for the haddock and spinach could make me want to eat fish (never actually tried fish before without bread crumb!)
  • janjoy50
    Options
    I had never ever watched the Hairy Bikers programmes until the Hairy Dieters series. They are top blokes. They are genuine friends and whats more they are both genuinely pleased for each others weight loss and everyone elses who took part in the series. They both have great families too. I did pick up their book in WH Smiths but didnt buy it because I always find it difficult to adapt some recipes for one person. I must say that a lot of what they talked about in the series I sort of knew - its putting it into practice that is the hardest part sometimes.
  • tinz75
    tinz75 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I'm almost living out of this book at the moment, top recipes, haven't had a bad one yet.