Late night snacking dad is looking for support

Options
Hi Guys / Girls,
I'm a 105kg dad and due to bad lifestyle choices I'm at the weight I am today. Just got the app that brought me to this site. I'm a bit of a quitter and always start things off with the best of intentions. While the profile pic may seem I'm taking this too lightly I'm not. I just need to laugh about how I find myself to ashamed to take my top off to walk down the beach.

I'm generally a confident person, but as summer approaches (I'm in Australia) I'm more and more aware about the bulge around the guts that is slowly spreading outward and upward.

I've been guilty of eating large chocolate bars just before heading to bed on a very regular basis. Would love to hear from anyone keen to offer support to keep this going for longer than a week.

Replies

• GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Whenever I'm hungry at night I look at other peoples before/afters here on MFP I read their stories, they didn't get where they were by eating bad late at night, so neither will I. Eventually I forget about the food and lose track of time looking and reading success stories. I also look at pictures of myself before any weight loss, looking at yourself naked also works. :) best of luck.
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night snacking Mum, I'll tell you off if you'll tell me off for it!
  • Kashton2011
    Kashton2011 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    How about putting less tempting things in your cupboard/ fridge for when you're snacking i.e. carrot sticks, peppers, celery etc and stop buying chocolate bars and keeping them in the house. Easier said than done I know but start with little changes - get snack size chocolate bars instead?

I recently got a hypnotherapy cd which talks about imagining yourself with a gastric band and I listen to it when I'm going to bed, I wasn't a huge believer but I have definitely noticed a difference in that I'm not tempted to snack right before going to bed - maybe something to look into
  • Mamboth
    Options
    How about putting less tempting things in your cupboard/ fridge for when you're snacking i.e. carrot sticks, peppers, celery etc and stop buying chocolate bars and keeping them in the house. Easier said than done I know but start with little changes - get snack size chocolate bars instead?

I recently got a hypnotherapy cd which talks about imagining yourself with a gastric band and I listen to it when I'm going to bed, I wasn't a huge believer but I have definitely noticed a difference in that I'm not tempted to snack right before going to bed - maybe something to look into

Your 100% right of course. In my defence this is my first day (and I can honestly say I've been very good) although my weak time is right upon me now. The other thing is other members of the family tend to buy rubbish that I then hoover up and tend to get into trouble for the next day ;)

But I'm done with that, and those suggestions of yours are the items that I shall be eating. Temptation will always be there due to others under this roof.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Right now there is a tub of choc chip mint icecream in the freezer, as well as a whole heap of chips & cookies. I don't eat them anymore. Say that. I don't eat them anymore. Then think about how good you will feel for NOT eating them. FOr knowing that it's there & you don't touch it.

It's hard when others buy the stuff you no longer should eat, and you cant force them not to buy them..... but you can force yourself not to eat it.

1st day of the rest of your life mate.

BTW don't worry about the topless thing..... I'm female & at my heaviest I was topless at the beach..... but that was BEFORE I realized I was fat. You men have it easy....
  • MiniCooperDeb
    MiniCooperDeb Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Don't want to be harsh here, but each candy bar you eat, each kilo you gain, is another step towards diabetes. I know from experience. You do not want to be there.
  • Its_Nat
    Its_Nat Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Log it all before you eat it.. plan your day, plan your food.

If you have calories left over, then eat the appropriate amount of your 'treat' for those calories. Banning chocolate, or your favourite items from your life won't last. But 'fitting' them into your life will make it not seem like a diet, but the all important lifestyle change.

Aussie here as well.. and I fully plan to feel comfy in my bikini (or, at least at my age probably a one-piece lol) by Christmas!

Go you!!
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night snacker as well so I have to cut myself off after dinner. If I let myself eat anything I start to eat everything!
    I make sure I eat all my calories during the day and have a filling dinner so I know I won't be really hungry later.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I am hungry in the evenings so I save all my calories up and begin eating after 4pm every single day. It works for me :). Finding things that you can live with the rest of your life will be he most important changes you can make. Replacing the bad habits with healthy ones. Don't look at it like a diet, you have to make a serious change, or your life will be most likely shorter, and not of good quality in the later years, plain and simple. Once you make the changes, everything seems to fall into place. I am the healthiest I have ever been at 40 years of age. Take control of your own body and don't make excuses. Move your body, eat well, and get a lot of friends here to kick you in the butt and to motivate you. Everytime I get down and log on to see what everyone else is doing, I get reinspired. Hang in there. Only you can make the final decision, are you ready for it????
  • viclaw81
    Options
    Late night snacking mum here! :)

I find it's boredom or when I'm really tired that I want to eat.

I try and make it a rule not to polish off any of the kids stuff. It goes straight in the bin. I used to always be thinking that you can't waste food but then someone pointed out that I'm not going to solve world hunger by putting leftovers into MY tummy!

Also, I try and say to myself that I know what it tastes like and I can have it some other time..,....I need to take this advice on though as I have serious issues with the dreaded munchies!

Lastly, as someone else said - look on here to take your mind off it and I also like looking for different workouts on youtube. I lost a couple of hours watching clips of the Insanity workouts on there to give me some ideas for my own workouts.

I'm with you though...it's a tough nut to crack! :)
  • kramnikyad
    Options
    Hi there

To be honest your story sounds a hell of a lot like mine... I have 2 wonderful kids but for too manh years have been eating all the wrong things and not doing enough exercise. Took family on holiday this year and had to go in the pool and help wife as youngest was only 9 months old I felt so fat and ashamed that once we got home i vowed to do something about it. Been using this app for about five weeks now and lost 18lbs (about 8kg). I too struggle with snacking but have found by not buying them and making sure I have plenty of fruit and vegetable sticks available it helps. Don't get me wrong i still have the odd biscuit or treat but allow these in my daily calorie allowance. Snacking is an addiction and to stop dead is so hard so I am weaning myself off them and to be fair the more weight i lose and the better i feel the less i want the snacks as i know i am doing the right thing for me and my kids.

If you want to add me please feel free.

Mark
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I'm a snacker between 3pm & 5pm!

Even worse now that I have 2 little 1's that are so time consuming & draining. Haven't had a full nights sleep in god knows how long which in turn reeks havoc on my eating. (excuses excuses) :laugh:
  • presscilla
    presscilla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Oh man! I feel your pain! Try not to eat at least two hours before bed time. If you must celery and or carrot stix and an ounce or two of protien like tuna, turkey or chicken. The protien will help with the hunger pains.That late night craving is the worst. You can also try drinking a big glass of water and give yourself a few minutes to think before you eat.

Whatever you decide count every calorie that you intake. Remember, you didn't gain it over night. It's going to take you some time to retrain yourself to eat right. We all have our good days and bad days. Including the chocolate cravinga, just take it one day at a time and you should be successful.

Before you know it you won't be cheating you will be choosing a meal plan that fits your needs the best.:smile:
  • yoyogirl68
    Options
    Hmm, yes, I hear you. I was a Cadbury Family Block girl myself.

I have only been here for 5 days, but the best thing about it, is that I am online at night, and I can't type and eat at the same time without getting food in the keys. I'm dreading summer clothes coming out - ugh...

I've started a combination of BodyTrim and Think Slim today and the protein only eating takes care of the carb cravings. While the Think Slim motivational tapes take care of the mental side of things. And drink more water drink more water drink more water!!! Most important.

So my suggestions for you late night snacking are 1. stop it. 2. find something else to do.

Nothing tastes like being slim feels.

Good luck!!
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Step, away from the fridge

:laugh:
  • Em_runs_away
    Em_runs_away Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Did you manage to distract yourself last night? I didn't do brilliantly but not terribly either, today's a new day and all that!
  • Mamboth
    Options
    I did really well to be honest, hard for a guy in sales ;)

I just stayed firm and said no to the normal rubbish, although I did have a few sticks of sugar free gum (but I need something right!!). I don't believe in all that nay saying about diet gum and drinks. Sure water is better and I've been drinking plenty again today. I'm looking forward to my dinner which will be a Thai Noodle soup with chicken breast thrown in with some Coriander.

Thanks for asking anyway...it really is good to chat with a few people as you feel your not alone, and the truth is I work from home so I am most of the time. I could sneak food and nobody would know, but I feel like I might be able to stick with this. People like you help, but I must say I also love scanning things into the Ipad app. I'm a gadget person and it makes me enjoy even a glass of water more. Strange I know...lol

I guess your in the US or something as my test is coming shortly 7pm ish here....I'll report in. Tell us how you go today, I've ready to pull you back into line...like we promised :laugh:
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!!!!! you need to take charge and kick some butt! You can do it!, this is a great site for support!
  • Antlady69
    Antlady69 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! Just sent you a friend request ;)
  • alan589
    alan589 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Andy

I was a late night snacking dad too and I weighed about 110 kg and had been around that for years, I am 48yrs old.

I started watching what I was eating at the beginning of August and started using mfp a few weeks later. I now weigh about 95Kg!

I am on 1530 cals a day and it is working for me. I try to leave a few cals in hand of an evening to have just a litttle bit of what I really like but I weigh it to make sure that I dont cheat.

Also, I have all but given up the booze as booze and snacking for me were intrinsically linked. It does require discipline but it is so worth it.

Go for it.