after 3 mins

Options
hey i tried doing an aerobics excerise and could not last any longer than 3 minutes ... y is that and what can i do to improve ... i feel so ashamed by it

Replies

• ideretic
    Options
    Hey! I think that you just need to build some stamina ... f.e. when i started working on elliptical machine i couldn't do it more than 5 mins.. now I can go for more than an hour... maybe you need to start slow and than pick up the pace?
  • blondie76
    blondie76 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    dont be ashamed! keep trying it will improve, especially if you have never done that activity before!
  • sharnie_007
    Options
    maybe i should keep trying every day ... and then see if i can go for the whole 20 mins by next week :) or the week after ... i just cant beleive how unhealthy i am . .considering i do lots of walking and am fine!!
  • ractayjon
    Options
    3 minutes today - 4 minutes tomorrow - you have to build up cardio stamina --
    If tomorrow you do 3 minutes and are needing to quit - slow down and bring your heart rate back to a normal level and then start again.
    good luck!
  • ukheather
    ukheather Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Keep trying, even if it is for 3 minutes a day. After a while you should be able to do more.
  • gummibaehr
    Options
    I started swimming laps one month ago. When I started, I felt like I was going to die after about 3 laps. I kept at it and kept pushing myself to go a little further every time. I'm can now swim 36 laps straight! Which is a whole mile! So keep at it, don't give up, and you'll get there in no time! :-)
  • lindsay1982
    lindsay1982 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    3 minutes is 3 minutes more than before, just work at it slowly, but do not push too hard, or you will hurt yourself and be back at square one. One day at a time!! Keep it up, you are worth this!!
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I moved to my second video in a progressive exercise program this weekend. The first one was getting routine so I thought I could handle the move up. Hmmm...kicked my butt three days in a row. Not just kicked my butt, but I just couldn't do half of what they were doing on the video. Funny thing is a few months back I felt the same way about the first video.

It's really frustrating when you feel like you aren't going to be successful, but the important thing is that you are moving and changing your habits! Maybe you could switch to something where you could feel success more quickly. This guy does a great begining T'ai Chi routine that helps build your core, helps with balance and increases flexibility. I used it when I was at my peak weight and it made me felt great. I only have it in VHS so I can't do it anymore, but I've considered getting his more advanced stuff on DVD.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=david+dorian+ross
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I started out that way too!

3 minutes on the elliptical at level 1 and I was sweating profusely, my legs quivering and I basically crawled off the machine. But I refused to let it beat me!

Every day, I added 1 minute to my time before I would allow myself to quit. WHen I could do 30 minutes, I started increasing the difficulty level. After 3 months, I could do 30 minutes at lvl 10, and only break a sweat the last 10 mins.

8 months later, I can do 45 mins at max level and in order to break a sweat, I have to run on the dang thing :tongue: .

Just keep trying and keep pushing yourself a little further every day. It will happen. There is absolutely no shame in trying!!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    There's two (at least) main aspects to exercising/sports. The physical side and the mental side. You need both and one can take out the other quite easily.
    You could be the fitess person in the world ... but if you're mind is not in it, you won't be able to "out fit" anyone.

I'm guessing when you started the exercise the first 30-60 seonds was great .. no problem .. just chug along "this isn't as bad as I thought". And then, all of a sudden, it got harder, like smacking into a wall. The heartbeat increased, your breathing became eratic, then the mind starts going "I'm going to die", "I can't go on", "this is hard", and before you know it, you can't go on and you stop. ... feeling completely defeated and in short time.
    Sound familiar ? Maybe, maybe not.

Anyway. So, your mind can be a big detrement to your exercising (just like it is when snacking).
    When you start exercising, you know you're physically out of shape and we're most definately mentally unprepared too. But you can start getting mentally in shape first. While your not exercising, you can imagine yourself on the bike or going for a run or whatever that exercise is. See yourself doing the exercise with a nice steady pace, and, let your mind learn how to stay concentrated on positive images of YOU doing exercise. Learn how to control your breathing too. Do this while sitting on your couch watching TV. Just imagine yourself doing the exercise while controlling your breath.
    When you come to actually do the exercising, start of by simply recapturing those mental images and then concentrate on your breathing to keep pace. Just breath nice and smooth and let your exercise follow that pace. Within your mind, don't let the negative thoughts come in. If they do, acknowledge them, and let them pass. You can't not think of them because it's like saying "don't think of a banana". What did you think of ? A Banana right ?
    You need to acknwoledge it, then think of the positive. You may also want to come up with a small mantra you can say to yourself which will keep the negative at bay and yourself motivated... and/or listen to music.. but just don't have it playing ... really listen to it. Get in tune with the beat- get lost in the tempo and rythym and sounds.
    Also, don't "clock watch". But, do set yourself up with small times to begin with. Like start with 5 minutes on easy everyday for a week. Then do 10 minutes, then, still do 10 minutes but increse to medium effort. The whole time, keeping those positive thoughts and steady breathing. You'll need that for when it gets really hard and your will power is truely tested. If you set up small and make those targets, all the while keeping your mind in check, then the physical will come and before you know it, 30 minutes feels just like 5. You've learnt to get into the zone/pocket. As you get physically stronger, you'll start to get mentally stronger too. A because you're now mentally stronger, you can push yourself further ... and so on and so forth.

It's the same approach to many different sports. It's the basic mind of matter/concentration/being in the zone approach. When you're in it, you don't know you are and anything becomes possible. Often, when you feel like giving up, you still have plenty in the tank. You usually only need to give up when something really hurts or your vision starts going etc. You'll know it ... but if it's just a little trying and it's your head, not your body telling, you to stop, you still have some gas in the tank.
  • bethie0828
    bethie0828 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Perhaps chuck the "areobics" dvd for now and try a modified tape. I started out with Walk Your Way Slim from Prevention fitness systems. No equipment, and it has three different levels being performed at the same time by three different ladies. You can then keep using the tape as you progress. There is a website on the box...www.anchorbayentertainment.com/fitness

I also like to check ebay for cheap tapes/dvd