Chocolate Covered Strawberries - made easy!!

Options
In the spirit of Valentines Day - I wanted to share w/you all how easy it is to make homemade chocolate covered strawberries from the heart. I made these for a friend's b-day and they came out awesome! Everyone loved them! Don't spend your money buying them already made - it gets expensive. Plus, doing it yourself adds a personal touch not to mention easy on the pockets. The pic below is my end result. I did them all by myself and was so proud. 

One container fresh strawberries - $2.50 to $3.99
Baking chocolate squares or Nestle Chocolate Chips one bag - $2.00-$4.00
Nestle white chocolate chips one bag - $2.00 to $3.00
Toothpicks - .99C
Wax paper - $2.00
(I usually pay no more than $10-12 for all of the above)

Rinse/wash strawberries and set aside to dry or make SURE you pat them COMPLETELY DRY. Melt chocolate chips/chocolate squares in microwave safe bowl in the mic to melted smooth consistency and stir. (mic times varies – mine usually takes 60 seconds). In a separate bowl, do the same with the white chocolate chips. ***warning – white chocolate consistency is NOT the same as chocolate but it will melt, just comes out a little thicker. Poke toothpick through “dry” strawberry and use it as a handle to dip the strawberry in chocolate bowl and swirl until strawberry is almost completely covered in chocolate. Let excess chocolate drip back into the bowl. Set on wax paper and repeat.
If you want to make cool designs – once I finish dipping strawberry in milk chocolate and put on wax paper – I will dip a fork and swirl around in the white chocolate and let the white chocolate drip in a zig zag design onto strawberries. REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT.
***IMPORTANT – please make sure those strawberries are dry, do not dip wet strawberries into chocolate, you will contaminate the chocolate.
****While you are making your delicious chocolate strawberries – if the chocolate starts thickening in the bowl – stick it in the mic for a few more seconds.
***approximately 50-70 calories per chocolate strawberry.

HAPPY V-DAY!!!

PIC-0414.jpg

Replies

• pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    YIKES - working on pic sowwy
  • EKarma
    EKarma Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    yeah! I'm gonna do this with my daughter and fiance for Valentine's. I think that it'll be something special all of us can do.. Thanks for the idea!!!:heart:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this nice idea! I will make this into a fun kid activity so we can all make our own yummy, not so unhealthy, treat!
    :flowerforyou:
  • NykkieC
    NykkieC Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    This looks SO good - thanks for sharing!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    :love: :love: :love: Yummy!
  • emilyfh
    emilyfh Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    wow thanks for the idea, was thinking you can also cover 1/2 the strawberrys in the white chocolate and half the strawberrys in the dark choc, and design with the opposite color chocolate. Thank you so so much, fantastic idea. :bigsmile:
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is there a decent baking chocolate that would be the diet or sugar-free version?

I love, love, LOVE chocolate covered strawberries. So for 70 calories a pop and having an entire batch looking at me, it might be too tempting to resist.

Any ideas??
  • Brenna
    Brenna Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Is there a decent baking chocolate that would be the diet or sugar-free version?

I love, love, LOVE chocolate covered strawberries. So for 70 calories a pop and having an entire batch looking at me, it might be too tempting to resist.

Any ideas??
  • pannellkat
    Options

Any ideas??

I'm searching on google but cannot come up with anything. I see sugar free chocolate "sauce" but I don't think it is the same.
  • mrsgiffin
    Options
    those look AMAZING!!!!!!

301739.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • pannellkat
    Options
    Thank you!
  • tasha30
    tasha30 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    CUUUUTE!! TOo bad I cant eat strawberries :cry:
  • Taradise
    Taradise Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    bump.... I'm gonna try these this weekend. Thanks
  • pannellkat
    Options
    Good luck! It is easier than it sounds and looks. Let me know how it came out.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
    bump
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
    bump
  • stephcheers
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
    Great idea!
  • spritie
    spritie Posts: 167
    Options
    just use a low fat, sugar free or dark chocolate chocolate as the chocolate component.

If having a whole batch looking at you will be too tempting. don't make a full batch...

set aside a specific number of strawberries to put chocolate on, don't melt all the chocolate and then have a mixture of chocolate covered and non chocolate covered strawberries

Or instead of decorating the chcolate with chocolate drizzles etc. skip the chocolate coated part and drizzles lines of chocolate on all of the strawberries.....
  • jcrider
    jcrider Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I made some last weekend for my hubby and I (we celebrated last weekend) and they came out so good, and very inexpensive like you said.

I went to Publix this weekend and they wanted $5.99 for 6 chocolate covered straweberries! I couldnt believe it!!
  • antheadian
    Options
    looks delicious!!