What are some good healthy smoothies to try?

Options
I like smoothies and want to make them in my diet more regularly, however, I am a smoothie noob. The most popular I've heard of are Slimfast's smoothie's, are they good? Bad? Should I make my own instead? Are smoothies even that healthy at all? Any tips will be appreciated!

Replies

• bohrsy88
    bohrsy88 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    slimfast isnt very good for you.. it helps with calorie control but there is a ton of sugar in them!

do you have a juicer/blender? I juice all the time..and have some tasty recipes! can send you some if you like! :) much healthier for you :) x
  • GreyEyes21
    GreyEyes21 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I know of people who use slimfast for weight gain (strange I know). As Bohrshy88 said they aren't good for you. I also have good protein shake recipes if you want :)
  • hughv1
    hughv1 Posts: 10
    Options
    I love smoothies and depending on what you throw in them they can be a super-healthy. I feel more comfortable whizzing up my own rather than using the slimfast style ones - if I chop up and freeze the fruits I like to have in them ahead of time then I find they're still about as convenient as the powdered shop-bought ones!

My favourite breakfast at the moment is:

1 frozen banana
    80g frozen strawberries
    1 cup low fat milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla essence = 238 calories and super filling, particularly if you throw in a tablespoon of LSA for another 30 cals.

If I have calories left for dessert I love:

1 frozen banana
    1 cup low fat milk
    1 tablespoon cacao powder = 224 calories.
  • drcrisos
    drcrisos Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning. Took some getting used to, but wanted to find an easy way to get in my veggies.
    I played around with veggies and fruits, and found what works for me.

handful of Kale or Spinach
    Broccoli
    Cucumber
    parsley
    ginger root
    couple squirts of lemon juice
    whey vanilla protein powder to help me be full longer

I add blueberries on occasion or some pineapple/apple - but found that makes it too thick for me.
    I have a blendtec blender that makes blending anything simple!
  • YoSoyFiesta21
    Options
    I also play around with fruits and veggies.
    Here's what I currently throw in mine

2 scoops - Strawberry flavored protein powder
    1 handful - baby carrots
    1 handful - spinach
    1/2 - banana
    1 cup of water (this can vary depending on how soupy/thick you want your smoothie
    1/4 cup - peaches
    1/4 cup - blueberries

Might be overkill on the fruits, but at least you're getting your daily value.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    dashingdish.com has some awesome ones that you can make that taste like desserts.

Also, I bought a variety of flavored protein powders and also liquid flavorings to make my own flavors. I use coconut flavoring in a chocolate protein powder for example. Peppermint flavoring in mocha protein for a peppermint mocha.

2 tablespoons of sugar free instant pudding mix (any flavor you like) into any flavor protein you want to use mixes up the flavor variety a little bit too. ( I have tried and liked the following sugar-free instant pudding flavors.....cheesecake, vanilla, chocolate, and banana.)

If you want more of a fruity, icy type protein shake, use vanilla protein powder, plenty of ice and then a a True Lemon packet or True Lime, True Grapefruit, True Orange.....etc.

I like to put a little canned pumpkin in vanilla protein powder for a pumpkin shake.

Sometimes I freeze these the night before sometimes and they slowly thaw at a rate that keeps you sipping the shake and full all morning or afternoon long.