1/2 Marathon Runners - your take on walkers?

Options
Some local friends and I would like to possibly walk some of the 1/2 marathons in our area and someone suggested even if walkers are permitted (assuming you can complete it in 3 hours, which I believe I could do) some of the runners dislike having walkers. Do you find this to be true?? I can't see the problem since if I am walking, all the runners are pretty much going to be out ahead of me right from the start. Do they stagger the start so that the runners start first and walkers start second? The only problem I see is at the start if everyone starts at the same time. If that is the case, I could probably jog until all the runners have passed me.

Replies

• brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    The issue runners have with walkers is that they have to pass them. If your intention is to walk, line up towards the back of the pack (or even line up on the side and wait until they pass). Self police please. There is nothing more annoying in a race (any race) to have walkers line up near the front.
  • Wimpey
    Wimpey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My own opinion is that it is not an issue as long as you place yourself at the back on the start line. If there are laps of the course you stay either on one side or the other and if in company some consideration is given to oncoming runner and the group stand aside.
    Is the same principle if slow runners are lapped by the fast ones, if everyone shows consideration we are all happy!
    But it is great to see people of all ability on a race day, out there enjoying themselves.
    Hope you enjoy taking part!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Yep. As the previous posters stated, line up at the back so runners don't have to weave around you. On a lap course, stay to the right, don't walk 3 (or more) abreast taking up the entire course. All things I consider to be common courtesy.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Thanks very much for the replies, these are some great tips.
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I don't mind walkers but I prefer it when they start at the back & are easy to pass. Runners are generally to the right, walkers on the left. You'll be able to observe the flow pretty easily.

And please be considerate at water stations- walkers in groups can easily overwhelm the station & runners get out of their groove having to stop to queue for water. Not a big deal, but it's appreciated when walkers let runners go first since walkers aren't generally working on a best race record.

Enjoy your races!
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    My own opinion is that it is not an issue as long as you place yourself at the back on the start line. If there are laps of the course you stay either on one side or the other and if in company some consideration is given to oncoming runner and the group stand aside.
    Is the same principle if slow runners are lapped by the fast ones, if everyone shows consideration we are all happy!
    But it is great to see people of all ability on a race day, out there enjoying themselves.
    Hope you enjoy taking part!

^^^ This!! Couldn't have said it better!!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Like several others have said, I don't mind walkers as long as they line up at the back of the group at the start line. I ran a half marathon on Sunday - it's a smaller race so there are no corrals - and I was very frustrated by the number of walkers that were near the front at the start. I had to do a whole lot of dodging and weaving the first mile. Another thing is - don't walk more than two abreast; there were several groups of walkers that were walking four and five across and it was difficult to get around them.