hard to stick to diet

Options
I find it very hard to stick to my diet.I have 4 kids and a husband who dont need to diet,but I still have to cook their meal and watch them eat their snacks and goodies and it's starting to get to me!!

Replies

• jeanniebouchard
    jeanniebouchard Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Im in the same boat as you. I have 3 kids with all different ages, so its very hard. You just have to try to find stuff to cook that you can get and that other stuff give to your kids. The stuff I cant eat I try not to make much of it, so after my kids plates are made there is no more for me.. I also try to drink a bunch of water while I cook.. Just think every time you want to cheat just think you want to do this for your kids. You wouldnt want your kids to be in the same spot when they grow up. What you do is what the learn and take with them when they became an adult.. You can do it!!!!!
  • rockyandjuice
    Options
    Thakyou so much!!
  • JackLSelf
    JackLSelf Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Don't give up!! I have a similar problem. My wife is 5'2" and 110 pounds. She can eat anything she wants and not gain an ounce. I can walk past a pack of cookies and gain weight. I allow room in my diet for limited quantities of things I really like.Then I budget my calories for the day to include these items. That way I do not feel deprived and still get to feel good about getting healthy.

12128895.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    it is a challenge for me too.
    One thing that helps is sometimes I eat a little bit of something I wasn't planning to eat and I weigh and measure it. so tonight I had chicken breast, sweet potato and broccoli for dinner and then I weighed one ounce of breaded pork chop that I had made for the famiy and added it to my plate. :)

a little off topic but had to share this also: I have started eating dip with everything! I make the dip with one tbs of greek yogurt (plain), one tsp or less of hot spicey mustard and a dash of tumeric. sometimes hot sauce too. i dip veggies in it, use it as a salad dressing, put in on my sweet potato, dip pretzels in it. And I haven't tried this yet but will soon: sandwich spread or mayonaise substitute for egg salad or tuna salad sandwiches. i think the spice helps suppress apetite a bit.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Are you making it harder for yourself that it needs to be?
    I can't see your diary, but so many people set themselves unrealistic goals and end up eating 1200 cals/day. And set themselves arbitrary rules about when they are allowed to eat and what kinds of food they are allowed to eat. And how many hours they MUST exercise every day.
    If this is you - then maybe rethink how you are approaching this change in your eating and exercise habits

- You don't have to have a HUGE calorie deficit to lose weight. You just need to eat a bit less than you are burning and if you are logging accurately you should lose weight.
    - You don't have to eat special "diet" food. Eating moderate portions of regular healthy family food should be no problem.
    - Snacks are hard - but maybe encourage the whole family to choose healthy snacks (which doesn't have to mean low calorie, "special" foods) and only buy the less healthy options for treats now and again. And just buy as much as they will eat on one occasion so it's not sitting there tempting you.
    - Exercise is good for everyone, start planning family fun times that keep you moving - like going for a walk to the park (or beach, or river or whatever you can get to) or go for a family bike ride or play Wii together.

I've been working on this for over 18 months now and the conclusion I've come to is that while a short term "diet" will let me lose some kgs, the only thing that will keep me healthy for the rest of my life is setting up good eating and exercise habits. Surely this is something you want to teach your kids too?
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Don't call it a diet. Call it a lifestyle change! :smile: Dropping the lbs and gaining them back shortly after isn't fun. Aim for goals that are attainable and start out slow if you need to. Its ok to get some snacks that are just for you and of course as others have mentioned maybe budget your calories so you can have something sweet or something you just love to eat so its not so cold turkey from the diet you're used to :flowerforyou:
  • LauraAnn52
    LauraAnn52 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Look at how you eat as a life style change, not a diet. And try and work in some healthier, lower calorie meals and snacks for your family as well as yourself. Your whole family will benefit. Don't despair. You can do it. And remember, you are the boss of your kitchen!
  • quiltingducky
    quiltingducky Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am cooking for a teenage son, a mid-20s son, and a husband. Imagine their appetites!! LOL Yes, it can be challenging and for the most part I eat what they eat, but there are some days that I decide to make something different for me. Sometimes it can be just a sandwich or a salad or maybe even soup and a salad.

One night this week I will be making burgers for them and I bought a pack of garden burgers so I can have a burger too 'cause they are lower in calories. I could have a beef burger, but I don't want to use all those calories for just that. Or if we order out from a pizza shop, I always order a salad and they then have their pizza or hoagies. I'm just determined right now that I am going to find ways to cope with sometimes having to make 2 meals. You can always change up your family's meals to incorporate them into your lifestyle. I guess i am pretty lucky in that I can eat the same things over and over again w/o getting tired of them.
  • ConstanceMarieRuff
    ConstanceMarieRuff Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I am in the same position with my boyfriend and family. You just have to be strong and take it one day at a time. You can get through this. (:
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Don't call it a diet. Call it a lifestyle change! :smile: Dropping the lbs and gaining them back shortly after isn't fun. Aim for goals that are attainable and start out slow if you need to. Its ok to get some snacks that are just for you and of course as others have mentioned maybe budget your calories so you can have something sweet or something you just love to eat so its not so cold turkey from the diet you're used to :flowerforyou:

Love this perspective. I eat whatever I want but I never want french fries. I'm never on a diet, I just change it. Being "on a diet" sounds like self-deprivation. Don't be too dramatic with your changes either or you enter the yo-yo effect. Things take time.
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Here is how I look at it. Skinny doesn't mean healthy. If they are eating junk all the time, they are at risk to become overweight and unhealthy just like anyone else. Junk food isn't allowed in my house. If my kids want a snack, they pick fruits or veggies, or other healthy snacks. Dinner is whatever I fix for them. If they don't like it, too bad. Rule in our house is "You get what you get and you don't throw a fit." Always has been. Trust me, there are many nights there are tears because my kids don't like what we're having. But guess what? They're starting to like the stuff now. They won't be deprived, they'll be healthy. You can sneak a lot of good stuff into their meals without them knowing. Replacing high fat/calorie foods with something just as yummy but healthy. It can be done. Just be sneaky. One of my families faves is Stuffed Shells made with cottage cheese instead of ricotta. It is so stinking good, and only 340 calories, with 160% vitamin A, 50% vitamin C.
  • caseyjade88
    caseyjade88 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want. I just eat it in limitation. If I want chips, I take a small handful, put it on a napkin, and put the bag away before I even start eating them. Then I eat them slowly, savoring the taste. Not only does this prevent me from eating too many chips, but it also prevents me from craving them every day... in fact, it's stopped me from craving it for weeks! I usually end up telling my husband to finish off the bag. Telling yourself you can't have something will only make you want it more. Limitation is the key, not deprivation. The only diet that will truly work for you is the diet that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Also, another pointer... Don't tell yourself "I can't eat this." Instead, tell yourself "I don't eat this." Over time, it tricks your brain into thinking you don't like it anymore! :wink: Good luck!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I find it very hard to stick to my diet.I have 4 kids and a husband who dont need to diet,but I still have to cook their meal and watch them eat their snacks and goodies and it's starting to get to me!!

A calorie deficit is hard to lose weight is hard. I know lots of ladies with families who are doing it and cooking for their families. But it's HARD, for everyone. No way around it. No easy path for anyone. You just have to decide what you want, keep your eye on the prize. Nothing matters except calories and exercise, day in and day out. There is nothing exciting about the process for anyone. The excitement comes when you get your victories and you ride one victory to the next, building momentum. It's kind of like working hard at a job or school, it's the day to day grind that brings you the graduation certificate or what ever you were working towards. When I'm cooking for others I drink lots of water, eat first, and chew gum sometimes or brush my teeth. Yes, it is hard. Not just for moms with families, but hard for everyone. No way around it.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    Are you making it harder for yourself that it needs to be?
    I can't see your diary, but so many people set themselves unrealistic goals and end up eating 1200 cals/day. And set themselves arbitrary rules about when they are allowed to eat and what kinds of food they are allowed to eat. And how many hours they MUST exercise every day.
    If this is you - then maybe rethink how you are approaching this change in your eating and exercise habits

- You don't have to have a HUGE calorie deficit to lose weight. You just need to eat a bit less than you are burning and if you are logging accurately you should lose weight.
    - You don't have to eat special "diet" food. Eating moderate portions of regular healthy family food should be no problem.
    - Snacks are hard - but maybe encourage the whole family to choose healthy snacks (which doesn't have to mean low calorie, "special" foods) and only buy the less healthy options for treats now and again. And just buy as much as they will eat on one occasion so it's not sitting there tempting you.
    - Exercise is good for everyone, start planning family fun times that keep you moving - like going for a walk to the park (or beach, or river or whatever you can get to) or go for a family bike ride or play Wii together.

I've been working on this for over 18 months now and the conclusion I've come to is that while a short term "diet" will let me lose some kgs, the only thing that will keep me healthy for the rest of my life is setting up good eating and exercise habits. Surely this is something you want to teach your kids too?

^^^ This is awesome.
  • californiagirl2012
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want. I just eat it in limitation. If I want chips, I take a small handful, put it on a napkin, and put the bag away before I even start eating them. Then I eat them slowly, savoring the taste. Not only does this prevent me from eating too many chips, but it also prevents me from craving them every day... in fact, it's stopped me from craving it for weeks! I usually end up telling my husband to finish off the bag. Telling yourself you can't have something will only make you want it more. Limitation is the key, not deprivation. The only diet that will truly work for you is the diet that you can live with for the rest of your life.

Also, another pointer... Don't tell yourself "I can't eat this." Instead, tell yourself "I don't eat this." Over time, it tricks your brain into thinking you don't like it anymore! :wink: Good luck!

I like this too. When I was in a calorie deficit I ate what every I wanted. I just kept my calories within the budget set for myself. I always at food I loved, and I always wanted more. But I would eat my allotted amount and tell my self I could have more tomorrow. I did that day after day for two years.

All the skills you use during the weight loss phase you will use in maintenance. You can have everything you want, just not all at once. You still have to balance things out. It is a lifestyle change. I've been maintaining a year now and I still need to keep track and keep in budget, it's just that the budget is not a deficit anymore, it's a maintenance budget, but it's still takes diligence. Everything I learned in my journey still comes into play.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

u can still eat goodies... just not as much as you normally would.
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    here are a few tips that I found to work for me:
    1. Make MFP your home page
    2. Log in EVERYDAY, read the message boards... post.. Keep your mind actively thinking about it.
    3. Don't try to change too much at once, Implement 1 change every week or so. Little tweeks over time seem to work best or at least better than butt load of change all at once
    4. Always be honest. We al fall on our way to the top, be honest, no one is judging you here... we all support eachother
    5. Keep trying new things until you find what works for you (It took me a while to find my plan and it works great for me but I wouldn't push it on anyone else)
    6. Its easier to lift weights than the burdens of carrying weight.
    7. take it one day at a time.
    8. Have a cheat day or meal, where you eat what you want
    9. Try to talk to yourself as if you are talking to your child or loved one. Often times the thing we need most is to be a better friend to ourselves.
    10. Smile. :)
    I don't wish people good luck, I never had it and don't need it! Luck doesn't get you through this... hard work does!
  • Charie1981
    Charie1981 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If you need friends add me I am always looking for motivation.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    just cook something healthy and yummy for all of u...im the only one on the diet but both my parents eat with me for dinner [mainly cause my mom cooks] lol
  • coffeemommaof4
    coffeemommaof4 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am also a mother to four kiddos 3,4,6, and 8. And a very hungry husband :-) I still cook for them and make adjustments.....veggie stir fry for me instead of steak. Chicken tacos instead of beef. And if I know there is a meal where I cannot make an adjustment I will eat before them so that I am not hungry.....and then I just get a jump on the dishwasher :-)