Risks of too much iron

Options
smelons
smelons Posts: 450 Member
I've recently started taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement which incorporates my full day's iron requirements (I was taking it as I was more concerned about my calcium intake, as I don't eat dairy), but the past couple of days, I've eaten good amounts of iron on top of the supplement and was wondering if consuming so much could cause me problems. I haven't finished logging today's food, but my iron totals are already at 162...

Replies

• momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Biggest concern with excessive oral iron is constipation. Nausea is also common.

What is the reason for the additional iron? Are you anemic? Have you checked your ferritin and Transferrin Saturation (TSAT) levels?

Check out the fact sheet from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a lot of it does not pertain but towards the bottom they talk about toxicity. Tolerable upper intake recommended by them is 45 mg/day.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/
  • smelons
    Options
    Biggest concern with excessive oral iron is constipation. Nausea is also common.

What is the reason for the additional iron? Are you anemic? Have you checked your ferritin and Transferrin Saturation (TSAT) levels?

Check out the fact sheet from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), a lot of it does not pertain but towards the bottom they talk about toxicity. Tolerable upper intake recommended by them is 45 mg/day.

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Iron-HealthProfessional/

Thanks, I'll have a read of the fact sheet. I've got Endometriosis, so suffer from heavy periods, so try to keep my iron intake at a reasonable level. As I mentioned before though, I was taking a multivitamin and mineral supplement, mainly to up my calcium levels as well as for the other benefits. I just so happens that this tablet supplies me with my full RDA of iron.

How would I check my ferritin and Transferrin Saturation (TSAT) levels? I assume through a blood test at my doctors?
  • momar74
    momar74 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Blood test from your doctor would test for this. He or she would also do a hemoglobin, hematocrit and other items. Hemoglobin is the indicator for anemia while ferritin and TSAT are for iron. Good luck!!!
  • LDragonfly1980
    LDragonfly1980 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My doctor said that if I have "blackened" stools ( nice! ).....then you are having too much iorn. If you are finding things normal in that department.....then I wouldn't worry to much. I take a multi vit with minerals as I have to have more iodine to help keep my thyroid functioning healthily and to absorb iodine you have to have certain vitamins as well as well as these help absorb more of the nutrients. The only other way I can get Iodine is if I cover all my food with Salt! And that is not going to happen as far as I am concerned :o)

The biggest factor with Iorn is a blackend look to your stools. If that happens then try and find something that does not contain it.
  • smelons
    Options
    Thanks both! I'll keep an eye on my, er, deposits for anything unusual... :)