Anti-Depressants

Options
Has anyone ever gotten off or tried to get off their anti-depressants. I talk Welbutrin (an extremely mild med used for anxiety &/or depression). Any advice?

I dont want to take a pill my whole life.
I don't want to talk to my DR about this b/c I feel like many DR's are all about medicating.
I want to look more to natural remedies. I exercise a lot, but maybe spend more time doing med intensity cardio rather than just relying on all the high intensity sports I play. Maybe certain foods help with seretonin in the brain.

Anyone experience this, have any suggestions, or comments.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• metalpalace
    Options
    Sadly medical drs major curriculum is in pharmaceuticals and internal medicine.

Explore yoga :) Yogas greatest benefit is the unity of mind body and spirit. It teaches you how to be calm in uncomfortable situations. Try out all kinds of yoga it is really wonderful stuff and sooooooo good for you :) Your dr sadly probably wouldnt know much about it :(
  • monica1515
    Options
    That is a fantastic idea! It'd be great for me as an athlete to do yoga as well. As I see you have a health/fitness background - you know many athletes are not as flexible as they should be and do not have full range of motion. I'm guilty of this (especially with my hamstrings).
  • RubyRedGrapeFruit
    Options
    I agree with the yoga sentiment. It has been extremely helpful for me to be more mindful of certain feelings in every day life.

If you'd like to decrease/change your medication, talk to your doctor first. Never stop taking an antidepressant without talking to your physician. Also, people react differently to medications, so maybe your doctor can prescribe something else or give you other alternative options. It never hurts to ask and you may be surprised by the answer you get. If not, get a new doctor!

Hope this helps!

Abby
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    What are you doing (daily) to ensure your wellness, other than taking your meds?
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    I went off welbutrin twice. The first time I started to ween off for about 2-3 weeks but then I got dumped so I decided I needed to stay on it :grumble: , so then about 4 months later I tried again. My doctor had me go off of them slowly, I would start by taking one every other day, and then every two days, and then every three. I think I did each stage for a week or two, until I was down to no pills. I don't recall feeling weird without them, or experiencing any weird side effects.

Anytime I have felt depressed though it is because something going on in my life, like a crappy job, or getting dumped, or losing my mother.....so for someone who may be depressed due to chemical imbalances, I am not sure what it is like for them to go off meds, because I would assume they would be in the same boat as they were before the meds (not saying this is you, but in my experience, going off welbutrin only really worked well because time and counseling had helped get me past whatever devastating blow life had handed me, and I felt it was time that I could do ok without the pills, if that makes sense).

The second time I went off was because I didn't feel like they were doing any good because I was on a generic this time. I think that time I just stopped taking them, I'm not sure. But I would definitely run it by the doctor and talk about how to slowly ween yourself from them. Good luck!
  • amthomps521
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants for most of the last 14 years-mainly Celexa. The first few years I tried several times going off (I first experienced problems requiring treatment when I was pregnant with my second child-that was rough!!! ) but I was not successful. Since then I have become much more physically active and I have lowered my dosage on my own and I feel great. I confided in my doctor and he suggested waiting until after winter to try going completely off- which was my plan. I have also read that as for supplements Omega-3 may be helpful with the brain serotonin connection, so you might want to check into that. Good luck, you can always go back on if it doesn't work is what I tell myself. I think trying yoga may be a great idea too.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I probalby should be taking an anti-depressant, but I've never found one that works for an extended period (if at all), so I tough it out. I haven't had too much success with natural remedies either, but everyone is different. I plan on trying Sam-E in the near future. :)
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants for most of the last 14 years-mainly Celexa. The first few years I tried several times going off (I first experienced problems requiring treatment when I was pregnant with my second child-that was rough!!! ) but I was not successful. Since then I have become much more physically active and I have lowered my dosage on my own and I feel great. I confided in my doctor and he suggested waiting until after winter to try going completely off- which was my plan. I have also read that as for supplements Omega-3 may be helpful with the brain serotonin connection, so you might want to check into that. Good luck, you can always go back on if it doesn't work is what I tell myself. I think trying yoga may be a great idea too.

If you do come off of the Celexa, do it extremely slowly. I took it for a couple of years, and when it started losing effectiveness, I came off of it, but I think I rushed it- even though my doctor thought it was fine to stop it cold turkey. I got extreme headaches that became constant head pain, and it hasn't gone away. It seems to be fairly common with Celexa withdrawal.
  • metalpalace
    Options
    I agree... Range of motion is important no matter who you are. Flexibilities is something i've always struggled with but I've come a long way thanks to yoga :)
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Not all MDs are all about medicating and stopping anti-depressants can result in major side effects including suicide. Tell your dr that you're committed to getting off it and need help & guidance. If s/he can't do this, get a new doctor ASAP!

Don't take brain chemistry too lightly, you should be under the guidance of someone with proper credentials.
  • bby_baer
    Options
    I would suggest going into your local natural foods/supplement store and ask them what they suggest. My mom has a degree in naturopathy and works at one. My doc tried putting me on antidepressants, but they all have the opposite on me so I can't take them. There are many many different things out there that can/may help you naturally. I think that would be the best way for you to get the info you need on all of the options. Different things work for different people, so it is important to know and understand all that is available.

It is possible to maintain mental health without the meds : ) Hope you find what works best for you.
  • bby_baer
    Options
    I probalby should be taking an anti-depressant, but I've never found one that works for an extended period (if at all), so I tough it out. I haven't had too much success with natural remedies either, but everyone is different. I plan on trying Sam-E in the near future. :)

I have not tried Sam-E myself, but have heard positive things about it. Hopefully you have the same experience : )
  • smileydays
    smileydays Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I took Zoloft for 2 months, and felt suicidal all the time. It kept me up all night so I couldn't sleep and I was exhausted during the day. It was the WORST 2 months of my life. After calling my doctor and talking to her, she said these were normal side effects and that they should subside after a month or two. They never did. I kept calling, making complaints, saying I was crying ALL the time. I was so horribly depressed and exhausted, I decided to stop taking the medication, cold turkey.

Let me tell you, it is HARD! I experienced nausea, dizziness, fever, etc. I couldn't even get out of bed for two weeks. This will be the hardest 2 weeks to a month of your life. But the after effect is well worth it! (At least it was for me. :] )

After that two week period, I decided to exercise instead of taking those pills that made me feel like crap. I am SO GLAD that I made this decision because I couldn't have lived another day like that. I am happier, I sleep well at night time, and I enjoy my life.

I wouldn't suggest cold Turkey, maybe take a pill every other day for a month, then take another pill every three days for a month and etc until you feel comfortable without it.

Good Luck!!