Heartrate monitors...

Options
Hi! I am thinking of purchasing a heartrate monitor. Are the ones without the chest strap any good? What would you recommend? Thanks!!

Replies

• EmLikesToWin
    Options
    Hey there,

I just got one with a strap and it's amazing. If you want to track calories only consider one with a strap. You'll need to hold your fingers over a strapless one to get a HR read so I don't see the point. You'll be surprised at how inaccurate the hand monitors are at the gym of the cardio equipment after getting one.

If you're worried about comfort please don't. I've had mine for just over a week and I forget I'm wearing it now. They have improved amazingly!!

I have the Polar FT7 and got it for cheap on eBay.

Good luck :)
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am thinking of purchasing a heartrate monitor. Are the ones without the chest strap any good? What would you recommend? Thanks!!

No, don't buy one without the chest strap. They either require you to hold your finger on the watch or are sketchy at keeping a good measurement. If you're going to measure heart-rate you need a sensor over your heart. Get a Polar FT4. They're around $60 and they work really well. If you're running on a treadmill most of them will pick up the signal from the Polar and display it right there in front of you so you never have to grab the hand sensor to see your heart rate or even look down at the watch.

The chest straps are comfortable. You won't even think about it when you run. The photo below, it's the black strap.

91966-CS.jpg