eating before working out in the AM

Options
I get up at 3:45 to be at the gym for 4:15. I do not want to get up any earlier to fit in eating something. What do you guys eat before a morning workout to keep the energy going? I was thinking just making a carnation instant breakfast shake with a banana mixed in.

Replies

• SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 4 and in the gym by 4:30 so I know what you mean about not wanting to get up any earlier. I do a stack of Pre-workout supplements to get my energy up, that's about it and during my workout I'll drink some BCAAs mixed with glutamine. So nothing solid until after my workout. I don't mind not eating anything before.

Your shake idea sounds good.
  • Inforthelonghaul
    Options
    I get up at 3:45 to be at the gym for 4:15. I do not want to get up any earlier to fit in eating something. What do you guys eat before a morning workout to keep the energy going? I was thinking just making a carnation instant breakfast shake with a banana mixed in.

There are various debates over the issue of eating prior to exercise. One theory is that if you have an empty stomach then the body is forced to tap into your fat supplies for its energy, though there are counter arguments to this.

Carb depleted training is one of the methods use by the British cycling team and as you know it didn't do them any harm in the Olympics.

Personally I prefer to exercise, that is aerobic and HIIT, on an empty stomach but soon after food for weights.
  • seekingstrengthX2
    Options
    I don't get up quite that early, but still... if it were me, I'd just eat a banana on the way to the gym.
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Eat the night before... this is known as carb backloading and is very effective for building muscle and getting lean.

Then all you need for your AM workout is a black coffee.
  • bpmartyr
    bpmartyr Posts: 141
    Options
    Eat the night before... this is known as carb backloading and is very effective for building muscle and getting lean.

Then all you need for your AM workout is a black coffee.

^^^ this
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I just usually eat one of my homemade protein bars.
  • Ani1273
    Ani1273 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just drink some tea to stay hydrated before my run maybe a banana for the sugar and carbs. I have a question on morning food in response, I've been trying to figure out something good to eat after a run, any suggestions for this? I don't want to bulk up, I'm trying to go for lean but I know protein helps rebuild muscle, so I'm torn on a healthy post run breakfest.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before my workout... whatever I had for dinner the night before is usually enough. If I'm racing, especially if it's a longer race, I may have a banana or something before, but generally speaking I don't eat prior to a workout.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I just usually eat one of my homemade protein bars.

^this
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Unless I am running for well over two hours I don't normally eat anything before running in the morning. I usually only drink a cup of coffee or tea.
  • triskaidekaphile13
    triskaidekaphile13 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    The day I didn't eat much protein the day before, I ended up having a grey out after C25K. Since then I've drunk water before going and ensure that I get enough protein the day before I run. I eat a banana after my cooldown but whilst walking home and then more water and then wholemeal breakfast cereal and fruit.

I find that if I do anything before I set off to exercise, the time just slips and I feel less like going. Now I make the bread, drink the water and I'm off with a banana in my pocket.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I agree with the coffee, a little caffeine will go a long way in an early morning workout!
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30, gym at 5. I eat dinner fairly late- usually 8pm and I have a protein shake with unsweetened almond milk before I leave the house
  • runware
    Options
    Muscle milk that way it is low in sugar and high in protein.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything before working out
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Though I don't get up as early as you but if I need a quick breakfast I tend to make up hot milk with whey protein, it keeps me through the morning. It works well with cold milk, or water, just that it's cooler here at the moment so something warm helps me go :D
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

There are so many myths about eating. You don't have to eat when you don't feel like it. Eat later when you feel like it.

I just read this procedure from Rusty Moore on Fitness Black Book that says that heading to the gym fasted and skipping breakfast is the best way for your body to internally create HGH which gives you many health benefits including helping you lose weight and become stronger. So I tried it recently. I wrote about the experiment here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/745151-i-got-a-compliment-from-rusty-moore-from-fitness-black-book

Anyway, now that I've lost 60 lbs and gone from being obese to super lean and fit at age 50 and maintained for over a year and now at almost 52, I will never again let anyone pressure me when to eat or what to eat. I decide. I own my body. I will skip what ever meal I want, eat when I want, or not eat when I want. I'm not paleo but they have something right about understanding we were designed to eat and not eat since we were hunter gatherers. Modern health has many myths.
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    try several different things and find what you like--i used to just do a little yogurt, but now i mix up a protein shake and drink 1/3 before my workout and the rest afterward.
  • KimberlyDCZ
    KimberlyDCZ Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I used to just grab a Slimfast because I'm not a big breakfast person and I wanted to save my calories for post workout but my blood sugar would drop before my workout was over. Now I eat a banana or grapes, string cheese, and natural almonds on days I workout in the morning. I also can't take multi-vitamins on an empty stomach and I like to take those early, so breakfast is a must for me.
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I didn't used to eat before working out in the morning on the weekends, but I have changed that. I generally just make a bagel thin with some butter and salami. Protein and carbs. I find that I do feel better after the workout if I have eaten and it is something you can make and then take with you to eat on the way to the gym as I totally understand not wanting to get up earlier than you do! I already get up at 4:45 just to get to work on time during the week!