Heavy Squats makes you SHORTER...

Options
2»

Replies

• macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Buy the hang upside down board thingy advertised late at night to counter the squats. It is suppose to make you taller.:laugh:
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Don't do it. I was almost 6 feet before I started squatting, now I'm only 5'2". It's just crazy.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I did end up shorter because of a direct result of my scoliosis.
    My GP never told me that it can actually make the curve worse :noway: .. Well, apparently it can. :sad:
  • mfkn_Titanium
    Options
    hmm....that's funny. I've been doing heavy squats since March. Last time I was at the doctor's office she measured me at 5'5" - I was 5'4.5" the last time I went (and all growing up I was closer to 5'4 3/4". My thought is the extra weight I've lost and the new confidence I have - I'm standing up with better posture now. So for me, nope, didn't get shorter, but am standing taller! (And my squats are currently at 160# which is heavier than my bodyweight...they're not crushing me!) :)
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Well, considering that I do up to 175 squats a day, based on this theory, I figure I'll basically be non-existent at some point...

Sometimes, the BS is just laughable! :drinker:

why on earth are you doing so many reps?
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Cartilage is kind of like a sponge. When you compress the cartilage, the fluid is expelled from it. When pressure is released from the cartilage, the fluid is sucked back in and fills it back up. Unlike a sponge, however, cartilage is a little more dense and it takes a little longer for the fluid to suck back in. This might cause a slight difference in height temporarily, but nothing that I would think would be significant.

Generally, it is accepted that strength training prevents the loss of calcium in the bones which is really the only clinical way to cause a significant reduction in height.
  • bigaris911
    Options
    When playing football in HS I used to do squats all the time.

I'm 6'6.... and if I was taller I must have been sasquatch!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Well, considering that I do up to 175 squats a day, based on this theory, I figure I'll basically be non-existent at some point...

• 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Spinal compression.

Think about it. Your spine was designed to hold up your body weight. Without strengthening your back, and throwing heavy weights onto your shoulders, your spine will be taking most of the load.

It was never designed to regularly hold such weight on your shoulders.

lyra__dude_wut__by_aku641-d4nxigd.png

Spinal compression is temporary.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    I think if that were true, then half the people in mfp would be "little people". Except the ones who were already short before they started. They would be dwarfs.
  • dlzal
    dlzal Posts: 7
    Options
    29.png

Sounds legit.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    as everyone has already stated, there can be a slight difference from start to finish of your reps. but you'll get that back while you sleep.

in fact, many ppl who lift heavy in complex movements, find that they measure TALLER b/c their posture improves so much when the body has the proper muscle structure.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    29.png

Sounds legit.

Strong first post has been quoted
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options

Out of all the comments, this is the only one that caught my attention...why?!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Out of all the comments, this is the only one that caught my attention...why?!

THIRDED?!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    pretty sure anything that makes your back stronger gets you to stand up straighter and therefore you get taller. Also you start walking proudly and occasionally peacock.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    This is genius.
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Well hell. At 5'3 I definitely don't want to get any shorter. I better stop.
    NOT.