More than just weight loss

Options
As I'm getting thinner, I'm reminded about the true win of getting thinner- the creation of a truly better person.

As an overweight, professional woman, I've had to compensate for the fact that I don't get hired or promoted based on looks. Nobody wants me on their team for the same reason why they want the 26 year old thin blond down the hall. Outside of the office, I've come up with ways to get mechanics to give me a discount, or cashiers to give me a coupon, or store clerks to go the extra mile to help me find what i want.

How? I've had to develop a personality. Mine often involves humor, but it also involves a big, genuine smile when appropriate. I'm nice to waitresses, coworkers, and strangers. I know that any reciprocation isn't going to be because I'm the hot 45 year old... It's going to be because i'm nice and I'm funny, and like a lot of overweight people... I'm sensitive. not to my own feelings, but to others.

I don't have room to be sensitive to my own feelings. When you've been overweight for so long, you can't let things bother you and you can't take things personally. The boss buys the receptionist lunch, when you've been the one working so hard lately and she's sitting their filing her nails and being *****y to everyone? well yeah. She's super pretty. Of course he wants to buy her lunch. you get it. To make yourself feel better, you remind yourself that you earn more than her too, so it's fair. Don't think about it.

Then you start to lose weight.

You're able to dress better and look healthier. Shopping for clothes isn't torture anymore and you start fixing your hair and makeup a little better. For all the same reasons why they may have overlooked you as a person before you lost weight, now they are noticing you. Not only do you look like you have it all together, but you do...

Because now you're not just healthier and more active, but you're still nice. You're still funny and sensitive to other people's feelings. You still don't take things personally and now you know what it's like to be invisible and to be seen. You're never going to be the *****y attractive one because now you've spent years working on your inside and the outside has just fallen into place.

Replies

• GrandmaSue16
    Options
    That was wonderful! You have the right idea! Love this post.
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    Beautiful! You've said what I've always known was true..blessings to you and your journey.:flowerforyou:
  • Nufraser
    Nufraser Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    OMGoodness, simply amazing and true! Kudos to you for being able to shine forth no matter what the circumstance.
  • purpledelight
    purpledelight Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    YES YES and Yes! To everything you said! :)
  • retrosandy1
    Options
    LOVE THIS !! YOU HAVE A real gift !! you should write books !! FOR SURE !! XOXOXOXOXXO

SANDY
  • amenok
    amenok Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Beautiful! :) Yes i definitely agree! It'll all be worth it in the end!
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    :heart: :flowerforyou:

simple and true
  • samblanken
    samblanken Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Well Said!
  • Lizzyton
    Lizzyton Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So refreshing!
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS !! YOU HAVE A real gift !! you should write books !! FOR SURE !! XOXOXOXOXXO

SANDY

aww, thanks. I do write a lot, but mostly articles and white papers for work.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wonderfully written. thanks for sharing!! :flowerforyou:
  • marvelmo
    marvelmo Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    well said!
    thanks for the post
  • candctaber
    Options
    so true!!!
  • virginia65us
    virginia65us Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is so insightful, and so elegantly written.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    It's a good anecdote and offers a good reason for us to try to be complete people. In my view, it's also important that we recognize that the 26-year old thin blonde down the hall may already be a complete person.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Love it!
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Very enlightening. Nice story.
  • Mamabrandyk
    Options
    Absolutly! Great read for my morning, thanks!
  • Rebel73
    Rebel73 Posts: 12
    Options
    So much of what you say is true. Having been picked on as a child for being overweight, I know the pain it can cause and as a result I believe I am a more sensitive and compassionate person because of it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I don't know about this... Being fat doesn't make you a good person. I've met plenty of horrible fat people. Struggle can make you a stronger person, but thin people can grow from their struggles the same way fat people can (but don't always). Some fat girls DO get hired based on their looks, and there are loads of skinny girls who don't.

I'm just generally not a fan of the "fat people have more personality!" thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!