What to Do When You Want to Throw It In and Eat?

Options
So I need some advice and strategies. I know there are a lot of smart and experienced people on MFP -- and I need your help!
What do you say to yourself or what do you do on those really BAD days -- the days when you want to eat and eat and eat, you are craving sugar (or chips or ice cream or everything), and you don't care about your goals and plan. You just want to throw in the towel, rebel, and eat!

I feel like I'm in the honeymoon period of living healthy. I've been strong and solid for almost two weeks, but in the past, I've crashed and burned somewhere in the first two months, and I want to figure out how to NOT do this--to sustain these changes long term.

Please share any ideas or things that work for you! Thank you sooooooooo much!

Replies

• kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    The best thing I have found for myself personally is distraction. I just try and do anything else but be in my kitchen when I start feeling that way. Good luck. I know that isn't the greatest advice...I don't quite have it under control yet.
  • pamperedlinny
    pamperedlinny Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    Couple of things I've found that help.

First, I can't say enought about distraction. Get busy. Get up and out and do something or sit and get lost in a book. But distraction is great.

Second, learn to make substitutes for your fave comfort foods. Make onion rings using Fiber One cereal and bake them. Make chili cheese "fries" by baking butternut squash. One part of this is the calories are way lower. Second is if you cook it (especially stuff you bake instead of fry) it takes a while longer to get done giving you time to think about it. You get the distraction of being busy and then the wait time for it to be done. By the time you get to eating it you will have wasted some time and might not even want as much of it.

Third, when you really just can't say no have a little bit. Have a single scoop of ice cream in a cake cone (only 20 calories for those) or get the small fry from McD's. Have just enough to satisfy the craving without undoing everything you've worked for.
  • nadiamode
    Options
    Couple of things I've found that help.

First, I can't say enought about distraction. Get busy. Get up and out and do something or sit and get lost in a book. But distraction is great.

Second, learn to make substitutes for your fave comfort foods. Make onion rings using Fiber One cereal and bake them. Make chili cheese "fries" by baking butternut squash. One part of this is the calories are way lower. Second is if you cook it (especially stuff you bake instead of fry) it takes a while longer to get done giving you time to think about it. You get the distraction of being busy and then the wait time for it to be done. By the time you get to eating it you will have wasted some time and might not even want as much of it.

Third, when you really just can't say no have a little bit. Have a single scoop of ice cream in a cake cone (only 20 calories for those) or get the small fry from McD's. Have just enough to satisfy the craving without undoing everything you've worked for.

this.. this.. THIS!
    totally helps and i vouch for every point.