Buying a Home!!

Options
Ok, my husband and I are thinking of buying a house when our lease is up on our apartment. Does anyone have any advice on this or have any dos/don'ts or pros/cons? I'd appreciate them all because this is a big thing and neither of us has ever owned a home and it's kind of scary. Thanks all:flowerforyou:!

Replies

• Ruger2506
    Ruger2506 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Know exactly what you are getting into and what the numbers are. I will be selling my 4th home and I lost my azz on this one. Not cause I bought in an up market or anything either. I just ended up moving away from the home many years earlier than I thought I would. In the end we will have paid around 100k to live in this house for 40 months. We should have rented this time around. Of course we don't know how to predict the future.

I would plan on buying low, remodeling how you want it (doing the work yourself) and staying there at least 15 years if not 30.

It used to be you could buy a house, fix it up and sell it for a nice profit. I did it 3 times. However things have changed.

!!! Get an inspection done and keep an open mind. All cosmetic work can be redone to your liking relatively cheap. Structural stuff is much more costly and a pain to deal with. If a house is ugly but structurally sound, use that to your advantage and get it cheap.
  • mrstravisjones
    mrstravisjones Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Don't listen to banks when they tell you how much you can be prequalified for. They don't usually have your best interest at heart. My husband and I stayed about 20% below what the bank said we could afford. I suggest you do the same thing to prevent becoming house poor. Keep in mind that if you stay somewhere with and HOA, your monthly costs will be even higher because of dues. Take that into consideration and choose a cheaper house to compensate. Check crime rates in your area. When you have some options, get on zillow.com to review the cost of homes and frequency of sale in the neighborhood and surrounding area. As the previous poster said, the bones are the most important thing to look at when making your decision, but at the same time be realistic with yourself. Don't buy an extreme fixer-upper if you're not willing/able to put the time in to renovate it. Also don't just think about your current situation. When looking at a home, try to think about your future. Will this home work for you 5... 10 years from now? Also.... (this is very important to me)... pick a home with more than one bathroom! :-)
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Ok, my husband and I are thinking of buying a house when our lease is up on our apartment. Does anyone have any advice on this or have any dos/don'ts or pros/cons? I'd appreciate them all because this is a big thing and neither of us has ever owned a home and it's kind of scary. Thanks all:flowerforyou:!

Buy a house is very complicated. There are more costs related to it than "just buying" after you buy, there is a whole slew of start up costs for a home. So keep that in mind when building your nest egg.

whether you're staying 15 yrs to the rest of your life, go for a 30 yr loan. You can refinance later.
    Realistically know how much you can afford. Your monthly mortgage should never ever be more than 1/2 your monthly income. Preferably MUCH less than that.

Put your life plan in check and explore your goals. Are you going to start having kids in less than 4 years? Make sure it's in a good school district. Talk to the neighbors, and look at the school statistics and the dynamics of the area you're living in. Is it going to suffer "white flight", how much are the taxes? (we live in PA where we have townships. We're 2 houses down from the line and they pay more taxes over there)

figure out what exactly it is you want and don't compromise, so you don't fall in love with a house. THIS is sooo difficult! To fall in love with a house only to find out you can't have it.
    we had to have a walk out basement, 3 bedrooms and 2.5 baths. I refused to buy anything with a lot of wallpaper, especially border. (super pain to get rid of and I hate the look, it's just not me) we found 'that' house. It had cracks in the foundation. can't buy it. I was so so sad! The other house? backed up to a cemetery, yeah. not buying THAT one!
    When looking at a house go straight to the basement and examine it thoroughly. Look for cracks, black mold, very new or shoddy remodeling, flood stains and what the water heater looks like. people typically have their home inspected before selling. If they have simply ask them "does the basement have black mold or cracks" they have to disclose. 2nd, check the plumbing by running the water in the sinks, inspect under the sink fr water stains and flush the toilets.

If you have demanding jobs or life, don't buy a fixer-upper. -some- remodeling (so long as it isn't plumbing or electrical) is one thing, but more than 30% outside of painting? nightmare on your life, marriage and bank account. If you find what you love but an area needs a little TLC, figure out how much time and $$ it will take.

Good luck!
  • ctooch99
    ctooch99 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Will be buying my 2nd soon as a result of a divorce and I learned SO much from the first experience. Where I am at 45 now, I am looking for a home in move in condition, so I will pay a bit more for it.

But If you are younger, you certainly can take on some stuff on your own, but definitely watch out for these things (based on my experience):

1) Don't deal with a pushy realtor who tries to sell you fast on the first thing you see - make the realtor earn his/her commission - he will tell you things like "well there is no perfect house" - BS - it is a buyers market now and be demanding on him or tell him to pound sand - get what you are after - now is the time that you can do this - be tough.
    2) Realtor will tell you you are offering too low a price because he wants to close fast - again tell him to pound sand - it's a buyers market and most sellers are moving on their asking prices now.
    3) Be careful of location - not just the physical house. I have found some really awesome houses in really crappy locations that are not obvious at first glance - LOCATION IS EVERYTHING - Google Maps has changed the game on this - search your homes on realtor .com then use Google street view to look at the area - you can rule out houses fast just doing this. You don't want to be near major roads, convenient stores, attractive nuisances or neighbors that have all kinds of garbage in their yards - you can clearly see all this on Google maps - it's a wonderful advantage.
    4) Take a check list when you do visit houses - don't just look at the pretty counter tops or the paint color. Look at things that are not obvious - does it have adequate electrical service? are their any ceiling spots indicating leaks or mold? any cracks that might indicate termites? are there water stains in the basement? When was it last re-roofed? How old is the water heater? Are the windows in bad shape? Is the plumbing up to date? Des it have central AC? Does it have a history of permits for all improvements that were done to it? Be picky - you will be thankful later on trust me. Sellers try to hide stuff - they do.
    5) Find the biggest, nastiest most stubborn *kitten* home inspector you can find and gladly pay him his fee and let him off his chain - make sure he goes through every nook of the house and be present when he inspects it and make him look at stuff you don't like. Roof leaks, pests, foundation cracks, everything! Make sure he looks to see if there are abandoned in-ground oil tanks in the back yard (I had to deal with this - total night mare). if he finds major issues the homeowner will need to fix them, deduct adequate amounts from the home price to cover the repairs, or release you from your bid to buy the house and refund your deposit.

it is scary but very rewarding and worth the effort - good luck!
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Don't buy above your means. Do a budget and figure out what you can afford. Just because you get approved for a certain amount does not mean you should take out that large of a loan. Don't mix business with pleasure (i.e. don't buy from family or friends). While that may have worked out for some, it can definitely ruin a relationship if everything does not go exactly as planned. Good luck!!! :)
  • lavieboheme1229
    lavieboheme1229 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Ok. Accountant talking here. Biggest piece of advice: Know EXACTLY what you are going to paying every month.

This sounds easy, but it isn't. For example, you will pay more for a $180,000 house on 4 acres than for a 195,000 on half an acre. Insurance and property taxes are something you seriously need to consider.

What we did- the realtor sent us listings. These listings have the real estate taxes on it. I used the interest rate we were prequalified for, and used online calculators to figure out how much the mortgage payment was. Then, I added $100 for PMI, $50 for homeowners insurance, and 1/12 of the real estate taxes (a months worth), rounded that up, and added it to the total. I printed each listing, and wrote how much our monthly payment would be. If we could afford it, I showed it to my fiance. If we couldn't afford it, it got tossed.

We live in NH on 3 acres. My Principal and interest is $950 a month. My total bill is $1,710. Just for reference.

Also, realize your utilities will likely double. For example, we were in a 1,000 sq ft apartment and paid about $100 in electric and gas. Now, we pay about $200. And we don't have to pay for water and sewer.

Final bits of financial advice. Your mortgage payment should not be more than 20% of your NET salary. AKA- what goes into your checking account every month. You WILL qualify for more than that, but don't do it! We qualified for $450,000, and could afford $200,000. And finally, make sure you have at least $1,500 left in your savings account when all is said and done. **** is going to break. And it will break in the first week. And it's going to suck. But you need to fix it. And you can't be house poor.

Message me if you have any specific questions. Good luck! Enjoy the process!
  • brainfreeze72
    brainfreeze72 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Remember, you can paint and repair and add rooms or tear down walls. You can't change the location of the size of the land (unless there's an empty lot bordering or course). We looked for over a year at a whole slew of homes. We were choosy but when your spending hundreds of thousands of dollars on the biggest purchase of your life, why wouldn't you be. We got a referral for a great home inspector, had a lead inspection done (important if you have or are planning ot have little ones). We bought a big house on top of a hill but with only 3 steps to get into the first floor. In our area it's very hilly but my husband is looking at knee replacement surgery and difficult maneuverability in his senior years so we didn't want a lot of steps leading up to our front door.

It was our personal preference to live on our own lot with a single family house. Partly because I don't want an HOA telling me what I can & can't do to my own house, partly because of our dogs and partly because I didn't want the added monthly expense of HOA fees.

I agree with checking out the crime statistics, the schools, the neighbors etc. Also, GET A REAL ESTATE LAWYER. There were 3 leins on our house from the previous owner and these all got taken care of in the sale. The folks selling did not have their own lawyer and ended up using ours (who also happened to be a family friend that we trust completely). Oh and check city laws on breed restrictions of dogs are in your life or will be. We have two "Pitbulls" so it is important to us to live somewhere that they are not required to be muzzled simply because of their breed.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    as said before, know your utility cost will increase. if a used home, see if they can provide utility statements to give you an idea of the cost. know exactly what you can afford a month and go below that amount. say if you two can afford $1200/mo.....shoot for something more in the $900/mo range. This gives you a little extra because unless you are buying new...there will be other costs down the road. hot water heaters don't last forever, air conditioners/heating units sometimes fail, things get damaged and need repair. If you are buying new home, you can get the warranties to cover appliances, ect....
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! :) I bought my first home with my fiance, two years ago!

I agree with everyone else's advice.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Don't. I'm serious, home ownership is the biggest financial drain you will ever get into. All that stuff you call the landlord to fix? Yeah, you pay for that now. And things never break when you have extra cash lying around...

But if you decide to go through with it, here are a few things I've learned from my nightmare.

1) Find a reputable home inspector who has been in the business for years, preferably one with a background in the construction industry. DO NOT use the one the realtor suggests. Also don't depend solely on any inspection that the current owner may have done. Their guy might be good, but you can't take that risk.

2) Try to get your mortgage through a company who won't sell your loan. When my ex and I bought the house I still own the initial mortgage was sold before we made the first payment, then again in 6 months, and again in another 6 months. At that point we found a company that doesn't sell their loans and refinanced through them.

3) As others have said, DO NOT trust the bank when it tells you what your maximum price is. Try to spend as little as you can while still getting what you want. Yes, it's a tough balancing act, but you'll be better off in the long run.

4) Realize that life situations change fast. You could get an awesome job offer on the other side of the country, you could have triplets, you could lose your job completely. Don't buy something that could become a problem later (too small, too big, too expensive).

5) If you can, avoid HOAs like the plague. Nothing worse than dealing with the neighborhood lawn nazi or having to get some committee's approval to make a change to *your* property.

I understand that I'm probably a little jaded about my experience and that most people love (or at least don't hate) being homeowners. Just go in with your eyes open, get your own home inspection and don't "fall in love" with a place and let that overrule your head.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Figure out what you can afford and stick to it. Also be prepared for lots of upfront costs, moving expenses, and any kind of remodling you are thinking about.

As for remodeling, we learned that you price it out, then double it bc no matter what you do, there will be surprises.
  • Cat52169
    Cat52169 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Best advice I can give is buy a home that you can afford comfortably and still have money for a savings account and get a 15 year mortgage or less. You really aren't saving money by getting a 30 year.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Get Pre Approved for your loan BEFORE you start looking so that you stay in your price range and once you find a home, aren't surprised if you're NOT approved.
    There is a great book "Home Buying for Dummies" and the first couple of chapters goes through getting ready to buy a home financially. I recommend it.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    We just bought a house about a year and a half ago, and the biggest thing is to decide whether or not you want to live in that same spot for at least 10 years, since if the economy dips lower then you're basically stuck or you lose money and make sure you can REALLY afford it. It's not really a very good investment, like many people try to tell you, but if you want something that is YOURS and you can do whatever you want to it, then of course you can move forward. It's a money pit, due to redecorating, repairing, etc. so make sure you have a good chunk of money in savings for those emergency fixes and for redecorating to make it your own.

My biggest advice is make sure you can afford it, even if one of you loses your job, or if you have to replace the furnace a year after moving in. I'm glad we bought our house, since we have remodeled to make it ours, but we have lost money (house is worth less) since the economy dipped further, and we are constantly repairing or putting money into fixing things that are less-than-perfect or that we want to make ours, and we're pretty much stuck living there longer than we initially anticipated or we'll have to rent it out if we want to see a return on our investment.
  • hooperkay
    hooperkay Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    go to bank get preapproved. So you'll know exact note and have bargining power. Always offer like 20,000-30,000 less than listed price (at least) they can only say no or make another offer. When I bought my house a few years back, I offered 40,000 less than the listed offer and they took it cause they needed to move right away. You never know. It is nice to buy something and have immediate equity!! Good luck
  • jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else and will add, recognize that there are a ton of little costs involved in owing your own home versus renting. Not that you shouldn't buy but, depending on what you currently do now in the way of upkeep, you may need to buy tools, a lawn mower, grass seed, a ladder, etc. If your new home is bigger than your current home, there'll be furniture, etc.

My advice is to find out all the costs associated with purchasing the home i.e. land transfer taxes if there are any, legal fees, additional fees if you buy new (development, etc, that aren't sometimes put on the price up front) AND then brainstorm for all the stuff you'll want/need to buy in order to be realistic about the costs.

Owning your own home is fantastic but it can add up quickly.

We were lucky, we bought way under what the bank told us we could afford in our mid 20s, prepaid every cent we could, bought wisely when we sized up, sold at the height of the market the second time, sized down and were done with our mortage by the time we were in our late 30s. Meanwhile, a number of our friends have all sized up to these huge monster homes and are in loads of debt :(
  • reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Don't be house poor. Set a budget and stick to it.

Make sure your credit scores are over 740 for the best rates. (You can check your credit reports for free each year, but you will not get your scores. Just review the reports and make sure everything is correct.)

Find a realtor you trust. If they're pushing you to spend more money than you're comfortable with, get a new one.

From now until closing, save save SAVE. You'll have closing costs, moving expenses, new furniture and appliances to purchase, etc. Save your cash and be prepared.

Yes, it's worth it in the end. I bought my first home a year ago with my husband (then fiance). We worked our *kitten* off to be able to put 20% down, pay most of closing costs (we did ask for some assistance from the sellers), purchase a new fridge, washer and dryer, etc. Then the dishwasher died, so we had to get one of those too. So prepare yourself for that. You can do it!!
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    1.) Have an emergency fund!

2.) Find a good mortgage lending professional! Find people who you trust who recommend someone.
    When we first looked, we just walked into one of our banks mortgage division. And the mortgage lender told us to buy THE MOST EXPENSIVE HOUSE we can find because "you will get a raise every year". HORRIBLE ADVICE! So glad we didn't listen to her. House repairs, emergencies, kids, and losing jobs - we went through them all & NO WAY could we have made it through with a higher mortgage payment.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Interest rates are great right now
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    I am on my fourth purchase.
    As others have mentioned, you can change the house but, you can NEVER change the location.

1: Drive past the house on the weekends and at 11:00 PM. Some neighborhoods can get really interesting at night and weekends.
    2: Get a GOOD inspector. Yeah, it sucks when he finds stuff wrong but, you can use that as leverage during the purchase and besides, he might find something serious enough to walk away from.
    3: If both of you are really handy, buy a fixer upper.
    4: Resist the temptation to roll your car payment into the house.