Food Cravings

Options
Hi,

I am on day nine of my healthy eating and I have had cravings for chocolate/sweet food and fatty food for the past two days. It is really annoying and all I am thinking about is the bad food which is frustrating because even when I have eaten I still want it.
Does anyone have any tips to stop food cravings? Its quite difficult for me as I am in the house all the time as I am out of work. I haven't given in so far, but I am scared I might go on a binge one of these days.

Thanks

Replies

• fletchleg
    fletchleg Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Focus on why youre doing this...or allow yourself a tiny bit of chocolate so you dont feel deprived.

Chewing sugar free gum helps me as well with sweet cravings.
  • missiet
    Options
    Try adding more water dense fruit into your diet - apples, grapes, oranges, grapefruit. That always helps me cut the sweet tooth. I also am trying to add in a piece of dark chocolate when the cravings get overwhelming.
    I hate that I think about food all the time! I wish I could make that go away!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i go for a low cal hot chocolate when i fancy some chocolate but dont have the cals for it.

apparently if you distract yourself for 20 minutes the craving should go away!

just make sure that you are getting all the nutrients as sometimes cravings can be your bodys way of telling you that you are missing something you need!
  • sans1307
    Options
    Hi,

I have been more healthily and doing exercises since July and have lost 9lbs, if I have a craving for chocolate fizzy juice or anything else that I crave I work the calories into my daily allowance. I do not see any justice in not eating anything you crave as it's your body's way of telling you what you need, just don't overdo it lol. I believe in eating any kind of food that you want (within limits) and not going hungry or cutting things out completely, hopefully if you try this then you won't feel the need to binge.
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I agree you sometimes have to give in, probably better to give in on the chocolate than the greasy foods! I found these great chocolate cherry bars from KIND. Sold in health section of my grocer Wegmans, Tops, and at health food stores. They totally feed my sweet & chocolate cravings. So much so I order them by the box ! There are also some great chocolate yogurts out there that may fit the bill for you.

Does being home equate to more TV watching? The food commercials can be a trigger without us realizing it! (Fitbit just had a story on this.) I know it's one of my downfalls! therefore I try to DVR anything I watch to skip over the KFC and Dunkin donuts Ads!!!
  • KrayKira
    KrayKira Posts: 230
    Options
    I have lost 40kg + since I started this.
    I still have chocolate.. It's all about portions.. Have a couple pieces instead of a whole block!

:happy:

You can do this
  • vanillapot
    vanillapot Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I tried to make an healthy option to...chocolate.
    1/3 cup of berries, 1/3 cup light soy milk, 2 tbsp of carob powder. I put everything in a blender and then 2 min. in the microwave. ta daaaa: hot chocolate (well...kind of) with just 90 calories! Try it, I loved it (obviously it doesn't taste like the real deal...)
  • tabithacate
    tabithacate Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the ideas & comments. I decided that if I have the calories I am going to treat myself to a chocolate bar once a week not a big one. A normal size one. I used to eat so many sweets and crisps before that my body still thinks I need it.
    When I get some more money on Friday I am going to invest in some low fat hot chocolate and some more fruit. I have run out of fruit in my house and don't have any money to get more until Friday so its a bit harder when I haven't got anything healthy for puddings.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Eat good fats, like avocado, coconut oil, ev olive oil, fat from meat and fatty fish. They will cancel sugar cravings.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Eat sweet juicy fruits! They're designed to satisfy your cravings and they're healthy! It's win/win.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Have a spoonful of rich chocolate ice cream.

A little of anything won't hurt you. You're changing things in your life long term. If you try to deny yourself, you just think about it more. Have some. Really enjoy it. Count the calories. Let it go.
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    When I get cravings like that, I eat a single square of the individually wrapped Ghirardelli dark chocolate (the 72% kind) with a few almonds on top. It almost.....almost!....tricks my mind into thinking I'm eating a Hershey's bar.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,718 Member
    Options
    I get greasy fast food cravings and find some fatty protein takes care of them--ie a boiled egg, or a small tuna or beef steak. I don't get sugary cravings, but some friends who do say cutting down carbs helps reduce the pangs.
  • EdTheGinge
    EdTheGinge Posts: 1,616 Member
    Options
    I've just cut it all out, so all my intake consists of is fruit, sandwich, dinner and maybe a yoghurt. I just know that if I allowed myself to have a small amount of the 'naughty' foods I'd do it more and more often until I gave up on the 'lifestyle change', I do hate that wording haha.

Other than that extreme measure I'm clueless.
  • Lisamar74
    Lisamar74 Posts: 114
    Options
    There are some very refrained people on here, eating just one bit of chocolate! If Tabitha is anything like me, she'll want the whole lot. Never can understand anyone who can eat one bit and keep the rest tucked away in a cupboard. I so envy your willpower and need some of that! I refrain from having chocolate in the house for this very reason. Bit it's pizza that's my downfall and I make sure I treat myself to one (sometimes two if I've done masses of exercise) a week.
    If you want to eat chocolate, try and fit in loads of exercise before you reach for it. That way you won't feel so guilty and it makes doing the exercise all the more easier when you know you have your reward!
  • foxtree16
    foxtree16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I find that when I'm craving chocolate, I'll make my own low cal hot cocoa. It's 2 tablespoons of baking cocoa powder, non-calorie sweetener to taste (I like dark chocolate, so I only use 1.5-2 packets of splenda), a drop of vanilla extract and then warm milk (I use soymilk because it adds protein and has a good bit of calcium too!) I will also eat a low calorie granola thin with dark chocolate, or eat a small square of dark chocolate. If I eat the chocolate, to prevent any more cravings, I drink a big glass of water. The taste of the chocolate goes away (mostly) I don't crave it as much. Hope that helps!
  • okcareys4ku
    Options
    I have single servings measured out in baggies (for work) of dried cherries, Dark chocolat M & Ms, mixed nuts. I allow myself to have 12 of the M & Ms (43 calories) but I eat them slowly really savoring the flavor. Some times I mix the cherries and nuts and M & M and have just half of the bag. I use to crave chocolate and chips all the time but slowly those cravings have gotten better. I started using mfp in june and have lost 38 pounds.