If you have not already purchased a HRM...

Options
....then RUN, don't walk to your nearest fitness store and buy one! DH got me one for Valentines' Day (isn't that romantic...a heart checker for Valentines Day ??? :heart: :love: ) I have used it yesterday while walking the dog (it was my off day, I swear!) and discovered I was burning more calories that I had been logging based on this site. Then tonight, I used it during a cardio kickboxing class and discovered I burned LESS calories than I had been logging under "Aerobics, General". So if you want to accurately track cals in vs cals out, especially if you are not loosing weight as quickly as you should be based on your MFP goals, then do yourself a HUGE favor and buy one of these amazing little devices.

Replies

• rmccully
    rmccully Posts: 319
    Options
    i really want to get one. i just have not found the one I want yet. for the money I have to like it. What kind to you get?
  • mhesterruns
    Options
    I also got a HRM for Valentine's Day and an electronic food scale. Both have proved worth their weight. When I wore it to run I was burning way less than MFP was giving me. It was alos good to see howmany miles I had run. The scale is the same story. I was using measuring cups for my mornign cereal and when I weighed it I was giving myself more than I was counting. I now use it for ALL food. It is really good when I want a half serving of cheese.

Both are great!
  • vctkell
    Options
    I have a Polar F6 and love it !! Got mine for Christmas and use it during all my workouts. It looks good too, people are surprised when I tell them it is a heart rate monitor. :smile: :happy: :tongue: :smile:
  • kels0724
    kels0724 Posts: 136
    Options
    I am looking for one~ possibly in a watch form that I can use in the water too?! Any ideas on if they exist and/or what kind would be best?
  • MichelleWagner50
    MichelleWagner50 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I just looked at the Polar F6 this weekend. I wasn't sure if it was worth the $110 price tag though! I really want to get one that is going to be accurate and I like that it is pink:blushing:
    I will have to ask for one for my birthday next month!!
  • geicko
    geicko Posts: 151
    Options
    kels0724 - Polar HRM are water resistant !
  • xonophone
    xonophone Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar F6. All the research I did, combined with the recommendations of the staff at REI, EMS & Sports Authority claim Polar is the most reliable brand. I like the fact that this particular model is coded, because this time of year I work out a lot in the gym,and so I won't get interference from other HRMs. I also wanted one that I can use in the pool, and according to Polar's website, it is safe to use while swimming. It also allows you to set which zone you want to work out it, depending if you want to burn fat, train aerobically or train anaerobically, which I like alot. Supposedly you can also upload/save your week's training data onto the polar website to track your progress but I haven't yet figured out how to do that yet - can any of you other F6'ers out there give me help with that? You can also wear it like a watch, which is nice.

Oh yes, and it's PINK! :bigsmile:
  • xonophone
    Options
    I also got a HRM for Valentine's Day and an electronic food scale. Both have proved worth their weight. When I wore it to run I was burning way less than MFP was giving me. It was alos good to see howmany miles I had run. The scale is the same story. I was using measuring cups for my mornign cereal and when I weighed it I was giving myself more than I was counting. I now use it for ALL food. It is really good when I want a half serving of cheese.

Both are great!

Wow, I never thought to weigh my cereal...I have been measuring it instead. Ugh, I better start tomorrow morning and make sure I'm not eating more than I think!
  • iamladibeast
    iamladibeast Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    xonophone I recently purchase the polar 6, and so far I love it...I have the same problem as you, not sure how to upload my workouts to the site...I have read the directions but all my efforts are in vain...is there someone out there that can offer any suggestions
  • geicko
    Options
    Supposedly you can also upload/save your week's training data onto the polar website to track your progress but I haven't yet figured out how to do that yet - can any of you other F6'ers out there give me help with that? You can also wear it like a watch, which is nice.

The first thing you have to do is to download a software to install on your computer which will allows the HRM to communicate with the computer. You can find it here: http://www.polar.fi/en/support/downloads?product=&category=Software&documenttitle=Polar+WebLink+Software&document=/gip/PKBStoGIP.nsf/web_cat/C225742500419A8AC2256F1E0027E01E

Then you need to create an account on Polar personal trainer website:
    https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/

That's where your HRM data will be uploaded.

When you're all set, you start the Weblink application you just installed on your computer, you log in using you Polar personal trainer credentials, you select the SEND option on your watch (that's the 4th option in the File menu, below Daily, Weekly and Total) and you start the transfer. Your HRM will make funny noises similar to what a fax machine does. Bring it close to the computer's microphone (yeah, you need a sound card and a microphone !) and you should see the progress on screen as the data is being transfered.
  • xonophone
    Options
    THANKS Geicko!!! I downloaded the software and couldn't find detailed instructions on how to transfer...I kept holding my watch up to the microphone and nothing was happening! LOL. I will try it later and see what happens.

Edited 30 minutes later to say...It worked! Thanks again for the help!
  • geicko
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    So you all recommend the Polar F6? I wish i could afford one right now but I am going to ask for one for my birthday at the end of march. You have liked this one?
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'm glad to hear such good reviews about this! I think I'll be purchasing one soon -- and how neat that you can upload your data to a computer!
  • mrsbeck
    mrsbeck Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I have the F6 (in PINK!!) and have had it since Christmas '08. I. LOVE. IT. I cannot imagine working out without it. It's waterproof, and worked really well when I was doing AquaRobics. Just remember, you cannot press any buttons once you're in the water, as that could allow water into the unit.

It was easy to set up, it has fancy features like the workout upload mentioned above, but can also be used simply to track calories burned if you don't want to mess around with all the extras. Best Christmas present ever.