Lack of fitness - Cardio

Options
I'm tired of being embarrassed by my lack of fitness. In other areas of my life, I'm accustomed to being a high performer. When it comes to physical exertion, it is definitely not the case. I want to be a high performer in all aspects of my life.

Now that I've got my goal out there, here's the issue. I started working out at a boot camp a few months ago. I'm the fattest person there. But I'm going! Most of the workouts, I can hold my own. However, the cardio is another story. When we do cardio workouts, I'm the last person to finish. I can handle it occaisionally, but it's every time... and it gets depressing.

What things would increase a person's cardio abilities?

How to get pass the embarrassment of being the last one?

Am I just whinging and need to stick with it?

Replies

• madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    lose loads of weight, keep training and you wont be last.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    How to get pass the embarrassment of being the last one?

Most likely this is what's holding you back - your sense of shame and emabrrassment. Conquer your defeating thoughts and the rest will fall into place.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

Am I just whinging and need to stick with it?

This.

You will be amazed at how quickly your body will adapt it you just stick to it - supercompensation rocks.

If you want to quickly improve your fitness also throw in some high intensity stuff to complement your aerobic base once that is in place.
  • timvet
    timvet Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I say keep trying! Yea for doing it in the first place!:happy: I know it took me a while to build up my endurance and ability, boot camp isn't easy! I lost a total of 87 pounds, and honestly as the pounds come off it got easier for me.:wink:
  • Collidoscopekid
    Collidoscopekid Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Honey,I'm going to be honest, the only way to improve cardio is to keep doing it. You get stronger as you go. It will eventually start getting easier and you will be super proud of yourself for sticking it out.

As for the embarrassment question, I used to refuse to work out in the gym because I felt like I was being judged by the fit people there. I finally joined a gym, then I was too embarrassed to use the elliptical because I could only do like ten minutes on it without feeling like I was going to die. I forced myself to do it anyways. Now I am not only going faster on that elliptical than the same people I thought were judging me, but I'm going longer. Use that embarrassment as motivation to push yourself harder and to show people and yourself that you can do it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    What things would increase a person's cardio abilities?

The only way to improve your cardio is to do more cardio. Keep doing it week after week and you'll find that eventually you're not doing so bad and you'll actually enjoy it. I heard a song on the radio yesterday and my first thought was "I need this on my playlist for running. Can't wait to try this one out." That awkward period of itching badly, being last, and feeling winded doesn't last forever.

The other improvement is to lose excess weight. You're here and obviously working on that. I couldn't imagine doing my 4 mile runs with a 35 lb dumbbell but that's what I would have been doing at the first of this year. There's a snowball effect to all of this so don't lose hope. The more you do it the better you are and the extra calories burned help you lose weight. Weighing less you can have more stamina which helps you do more, which helps you work on more consistent weight loss, which helps you run better, which improves your stamina.....

You've got the ball rolling. Keep moving it along and you'll wake up one morning and realize "Hey, this wasn't that bad." but you need to keep going to get that result.
  • 120weeks
    120weeks Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Just keep doing cardio that you enjoy. Keep a tight watch on your intake. In no time at all you will be an athlete. Keep going!
  • jstandfield
    jstandfield Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and like everyone says just stick with it, it takes time. When I started I couldn't run 10 feet without falling out. I just started walking and when I could walk a mile I started using the elliptical, I still couldn't run on a treadmill, once I could do the elliptical for 45 minutes I moved to the stairmaster. Once I could do that for 45 minutes, I started taking spin classes. I was taking g those 4 times a week. Finally, I tried jogging outside. I would run a block then walk a block for 1 mile. Then I started running for 5 minutes. Every week I added minutes. Now I run for a hour at a time. That whole process took a year and a half but I stuck with it. If I can do it you definitely can do it.
  • DMW914
    DMW914 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Aww, I don't undersatnd why your ashamed. You should be proud as a peacock! You ARE out there DOING the dang thing & that's impressive! You have a goal & a purpose so don't second guess yourself. You'll build up to it just takes time. Just keep pushing and stop worrying about instant gratifiaction. Nothing comes for free. Keep at it! You probably don't even know how much you inspire some of the others out there watching you push through. Keep honoring yourself & continue to make that change. Just remember to keep your self expectations reasonable. I think you're my new inspiration! :flowerforyou: Good luck to you!:wink:
  • LetsDoThis103
    Options
    Stick with it! Cardio fitness doesn't happen over night, but one day, I realized, wow! I can actually do this, though it's never easy AND I am a slow runner. Just realize, it's okay to be slow. You have a different body than the other people in the group and you don't know how long they've been doing this or whatever else their stories are. Just stick with it.