DID YOU KNOW, 3500 cal = 1 lb...How to lose it!

Options
To lose 1lb a week one must burn around 3500 calories. It may sound like a lot but it’s not. How to do it?...Walking 10, 000 steps a day!
Get yourself a pedometer and clip it one the minute you wake up. If you have a desk job, like me, take your lunch hour outside and walk it off. Do the stairs instead of the elevator. The pedometer will also give you the push you need to finish your goal. Make your goal 10,000 steps a day at a minimum and if you work out more even better. But for beginners like me, set a simple goal that will achieve results. If by the time you get home you have not completed your 10,000 steps, you will get the motivation to just walk up and down your steps at home or go walk the door outside.
If you do this every day for seven days you have obtained your 3500 calories burned…in addition to eating healthy. Sometimes we overlook the small things we can do because we are concentrated on the big price and want faster results. Start slow, make it a habit.
Also, I think they might even have those fancy perdometers that will calculate the calories burned too.

Replies

• pinkfluff79
    pinkfluff79 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I hve the fitbit ultra and absolutley love it. Really has gotten me motivated to get up and move.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    The small things always lead up to big things...one small thing at a time:)
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Day by day is how I look at it. Soon, they'll add up to many good days and you'll see progress. Don't worry about 3 weeks from now. Do what you can today.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps is ~5 miles a day. That's quite a bit of walking.
  • azzkikin
    azzkikin Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Fitbit Ultra user here, and it has made me get out from behind my desk and move it.
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I love my afternoon walks. I don't have a lunch "hour" but just half an hour. And it takes me 15 minutes to walk around the building, through a park and back. So I do 1 or 2 of those laps, each lap is just over 1KM. :) It's a good little burn that you would otherwise spend sitting around.

I love my walking.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I hve the fitbit ultra and absolutley love it. Really has gotten me motivated to get up and move.

Me too!
  • BuckeyeBlubber
    Options
    My company has a walking program and I just hooked up the cheap pedometer we were given today for the first time. It's nice that it is free, but it counts steps even when I am sitting at my desk. I am trying to decide between a fitbit and just buying a cheaper, quality pedometer. Any advice? How does the fitbit know how many calories you have burned? Do you think it is accurate? I am a very numbers driven person so I could see that a plus.
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    LOL I have been known to pace around my house to get that last 1,000 steps before I go to bed. I'm glad I'm not the only one! :)

Yes, I have a fitbit as well. I picked it up this morning and it professed its love for me... The feeling is mutual, I adore my fitbit! LOL
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options

You must have long legs! For me, 5 miles is closer to 15k steps (walking to and from work).

I did a walking challenge at work and had to wear a pedometer for 3 months. Ended up averaging 25k steps a day. It's amazing how you'll find ways to get in extra steps when work pride is on the line!
  • HMToomey
    HMToomey Posts: 276
    Options
    My company has a walking program and I just hooked up the cheap pedometer we were given today for the first time. It's nice that it is free, but it counts steps even when I am sitting at my desk. I am trying to decide between a fitbit and just buying a cheaper, quality pedometer. Any advice? How does the fitbit know how many calories you have burned? Do you think it is accurate? I am a very numbers driven person so I could see that a plus.

I think it's very accurate, since I got mine, 42 days ago, I have lost 7 pounds!
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options

Me too!

Me too! Love it!
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I don't think you HAVE to burn 3500 calories at the gym you just need to have a 3500 calorie deficit. At 5'3 and 113 pounds it's really difficult for me to burn much more then 500-600 calories even when I run 7 miles in an hour and some change which is about a 6.5 mile pace...I'd have to to do that every day and then some to actually burn that many calories in a week, but my body already burn some calories on it's own so I'm pretty sure that counts toward the 3500 but I could be wrong.
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

WOW! Thats alot of steps/miles in one day every day...ill have to invest in a pedometer!
  • nturner612
    nturner612 Posts: 710 Member
    Options

Me too!

Me too! Love it!

what is the fitbit ultra?
  • Theresal77
    Theresal77 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

You must have long legs! For me, 5 miles is closer to 15k steps (walking to and from work).

I did a walking challenge at work and had to wear a pedometer for 3 months. Ended up averaging 25k steps a day. It's amazing how you'll find ways to get in extra steps when work pride is on the line!

I also am one who averages about 15K steps per 5miles, it means that your pace different. Just means we burn more calories :)
  • esthermarte
    Options
    It's really not that much once you see it on the pedometer. I'm at work, desk job, have one on and I have done 6009 steps so far without doing my lunch walk cuz it was raining. Moving around the building. By the time I walk to my car, get home and continue moving it will be well over 10,000 steps. And if you get a bit more activities even better. Give it a try and you'll be amazed how simple it can be.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have my fitbit and really love it. I've been wearing a pedometer off and on for years. It does motivate you to keep moving. My girlfriend was sure she was walking at least 10,000 steps a day so I gave her my old one and she realized she was barely getting 5000 a day. Now she is walking more and making changes.

I did 30 minutes on the treadmill and 15 minutes on the elliptical (just joined the gym this week) and I'm over 12,000 steps already. By the time I walk the 10 minutes to the bus and then to my car and spend 2 hours on my feet taking care of the family tonight, I'll be way over 15,000. Yeah! Now I don't feel so guilty about having that bagel this morning. :)