Grams To Cup Conversion, Help!

Options
So, I am trying to find out what 85g of pasta is equal to in cups. I've searched everywhere and cannot find the answer, so I'm hoping someone on here would be able to help, thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• tigerlily8045
    tigerlily8045 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just googled a gram to cup conversion and it came up with .37 cup. So a 1/3 of a cup is aprox 85 grams.

The other conversion calculator for Pasta, fresh, cooked, said that 85 grams is 2.98 oz.
  • kyodi
    kyodi Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    There is no standard way to convert this as grams measure weight and cups measure volume. With that said you could weigh 85g of the particular pasta you want to know the volume of, cook it, strain it, and then measure it by the cup. It will be different with different noodle types; spaghetti vs macaroni vs linguine vs fettuccine.

I have an awesome food scale so I usually just weigh the pasta out first and then divide it after it is cooked. So if I make 3 servings I just divide it in thirds (I "eye ball it" LOL) after it's cooked and then add sauce, etc.
  • trs80
    trs80 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:

That's a tough one because grams is a measure of weight/mass while cups is a measure of volume.

I suppose you could take 85g of pasta (3oz weight) and put it into a cup.

I don't know of any other way to measure it. Maybe someone else can help.

Good luck.
  • hockeyfan87
    hockeyfan87 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I guess I'll have to invest in a food scale haha. For now, I'll go with 1/3 cup :p
  • OmegaGator
    OmegaGator Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ya, scales are life savers for measuring. There's no real way to guesstimate 9 times out ta 10 you'll be wrong sadly. Especially for pasta, they're all different shapes.
  • KateParker01
    KateParker01 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I always forget that most american homes dont have food scales as a matter of course when I read these threads. Every English home in the country has a pair of food scales, it's the only way we measure food. I find the differences fascinating and amusing :)