My fat has changed

Options
Yes this is a strange subject, but I thought I would share to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I have spent the last 4 years hovering around 280 pounds, but the fat on my body was solid. If I wear a sleeveless shirt, my arms are big but not flabby, my thighs were the same...solid, not cottage cheese looking. I'm not dense enough to think it's muscle, I know better then that. Now here I sit and I'm down 23 pounds in two months by working out and eating right, but my fat is different. I have lost over 4" off my hips alone, but everything is jiggly now. My arms are flabby and my legs are soft. I know there is muscle building under there, but I'm still 260 pounds so it will be a while before I see it. I've been doing lots of cardio with some light weights, interval training and aerobics. Nothing heavy yet. I might also add that I'm 37 yo, 5'6" female.

Has this happened to anyone else??

Replies

• marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    The short answer is yup! I read an explanation somewhere for this. I've noticed that I get particularly squishy before seeing a drop on the scales.
    Congratulations on a great start, btw!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly what you're saying. When I noticed it, I was told that the "under layer" (for lack of better words) the layer mostly surrounding organs etc. is the most dangerous type of fat and that is what you lose first. Leaving the top layer squishy! It's a good thing! lol
  • scagneti
    scagneti Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Oh, yeah -- I went through that!

I blamed that my skin had stretched and hadn't caught up with the weight loss. I compared it to having 10lbs of whatever in a sack built for 10lbs. Now take 2lbs out -- the stuff inside moves around.

It's much better now :wink:
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    not only what everyone else said, but your skin might not have shrunk yet... especially if you've lost the weight quickly. give your skin time to adapt :p
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I have noticed that as well. I just commented to my husband yesterday that my fat around my belly feels different.
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    oops hadn't read the one above me yet!! sorry for reiterating!
  • jazzyali
    jazzyali Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Yes!

But it will change as you continue your ftness program.

Now my body is firm again!
  • recee96
    recee96 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly what you're saying. When I noticed it, I was told that the "under layer" (for lack of better words) the layer mostly surrounding organs etc. is the most dangerous type of fat and that is what you lose first. Leaving the top layer squishy! It's a good thing! lol

Oh that's good to know! I noticed the same in my arms and thighs!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    It means it's working, good job!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What she said ^. Your fat will appear jiggly until your skin shrinks around it, which may take a while, but don't be discouraged. Drink lots of water, eat high quality protein, green vegetables and high fiber foods. The combo of diet and exercise will keep you looking good. Don't be afraid of the heavy weights, either. You'll see results quickly and be stronger faster once you start going up with the weights. That will firm things up, too. And you will never look like a body builder, if you're worried about that, because that takes special eating, working out all the time and maybe even illegal hormones for a woman to look that way. As hard as you can work, you will still look like a healthy, toned, strong woman. Go, girl!
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    Science wise, it makes sense because you can never LOSE the fat cells your body makes when you gain weight. They only shrink. As they shrink, you'll probably feel squishier because the cells are less full, which is a good thing. Makes way for muscle :)
  • tessa175
    tessa175 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    It's good to know I'm not crazy. I was just thinking the same thing yesterday. I also started around 280 and am down 27lbs, things just jiggle around right now...
  • Tricialew32
    Tricialew32 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    This is not the first time I've read about this on MFP but it's the first time I've experienced it! Just last week I noticed how squishy I've gotten and from all the responses from the other threads, I'm actually kind of excited about that...progress, right?
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Me, too! It's sort of discouraging, but I figure winter is coming and I can cover up while my body continues to change! LOL
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness. I really thought I was nuts. Thank you all for your support. I guess i should look at it as its just another motivator to keep going. Woo hoo!
  • cork1961
    cork1961 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Well - this is a relief! I was getting worried! Thanks for all the posts on this issue!!!
  • ChristyMomx3
    Options
    I have noticed this as well. I have a lot of belly fat and I have lost 2 inches there but only 11lbs over all. I figure the fat underneath is shrinking and the skin has to catch up. I take it as a good thing.
  • SarahJCotton
    Options
    I was trying to tell someone about this the other day, I wasn't sure if I was imagining it or not! Glad to find out I'm not! :D
  • ewestsca
    ewestsca Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I noticed the other day that my stomach looked different. Glad that I wasn't imagining it.