My fat has changed

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Yes this is a strange subject, but I thought I would share to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I have spent the last 4 years hovering around 280 pounds, but the fat on my body was solid. If I wear a sleeveless shirt, my arms are big but not flabby, my thighs were the same...solid, not cottage cheese looking. I'm not dense enough to think it's muscle, I know better then that. Now here I sit and I'm down 23 pounds in two months by working out and eating right, but my fat is different. I have lost over 4" off my hips alone, but everything is jiggly now. My arms are flabby and my legs are soft. I know there is muscle building under there, but I'm still 260 pounds so it will be a while before I see it. I've been doing lots of cardio with some light weights, interval training and aerobics. Nothing heavy yet. I might also add that I'm 37 yo, 5'6" female.

Has this happened to anyone else??

My body changed quite a bit as I lost fat. Weight lifting is very important for many reasons. I write about my experience with weight loss and building muscle here --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout and http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/752246-i-m-afraid-to-try-an-new-weight-lifting-program-now
  • nicolio8699
    nicolio8699 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i am a floppy skin sack these days. lol. but, heyyyy! i suppose it's better than being 3 bills? ;)<3<3n-
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know exactly what you're saying. When I noticed it, I was told that the "under layer" (for lack of better words) the layer mostly surrounding organs etc. is the most dangerous type of fat and that is what you lose first. Leaving the top layer squishy! It's a good thing! lol

That's interesting! I feel like i'm fatter, but i'm not! I blame having 2 children close together, but maybe that's just made it worse!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Yep some of us, myself included, get a squishy and it sucks. It's my damn belly and under arm(more sideboob area).
  • uncarvedblock
    uncarvedblock Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks for asking about this, I've been wondering too. My upper arms and thighs are noticably less solid and my stomach is all squishy. It's all good if it's positive :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My husband told me that my butt jiggle has a jiggle. :laugh:

I've noticed that I have pockets of fat now rather than an even distribution.
  • MaybeAMonkey
    Options
    I noticed the exact same thing too, but I found that lifting weights (not crazy heavy, but enough to get my heart rate up and get a decent sweat going) helped improve that more so than doing lots of cardio - it built muscle and helped me look more feminine and less blocky (also, the muscles helped burn more fat even when I was at a resting heart rate). Fortunately, as a woman it's very hard to get super built like guys, so I still look feminine but just more toned. I hope you find that the same is true for you!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start to notice my fat feeling different (typically around my belly/hips area) I know it's time to bust out the tape measure. I tend to do this every 3 months or so and I always find that I've lost like 15 some odd inches all over my body. It's wonderful!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    Thank goodness. I really thought I was nuts. Thank you all for your support. I guess i should look at it as its just another motivator to keep going. Woo hoo!

EXACTLY!!!! I noticed it too but, i have felt myself getting stronger and feeling a bit of muscle under it so, figure it will work itself out. I am also using cocoa butter lotion to help my skin and my Dermatologist just put me on Biotin (helps hair, skin, nails) so that should help too! We'll get there and eventually be the tight and toned person we are always dreaming about! :-)
  • rubyjune27
    rubyjune27 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Lyle McDonald provides an explanation about this. It is evidence of successful weight loss.
  • lovebighair
    Options
    Yes, is there. It's so comforting to know that we all the same issues but don't talk about it, but now we have people and mfp that can help us on your way to our dream.
  • Goal_Driven
    Goal_Driven Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    omg thank you for posting this topic! I was just thinking the same thing last night while working out. My stomach definitely does have a squishier feel to it. I thought it was extra skin :( but hopefully it's just that my skin hasn't caught up with my changes. Hope all of our skin tightens up soon! haha :)
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My stomach is like this, this was the main place my fat collectively decided to gather.

Encouraging to know though that others have felt like this and it seems to be normal!

:D
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Yes this is a strange subject, but I thought I would share to see if this has happened to anyone else.

I have spent the last 4 years hovering around 280 pounds, but the fat on my body was solid. If I wear a sleeveless shirt, my arms are big but not flabby, my thighs were the same...solid, not cottage cheese looking. I'm not dense enough to think it's muscle, I know better then that. Now here I sit and I'm down 23 pounds in two months by working out and eating right, but my fat is different. I have lost over 4" off my hips alone, but everything is jiggly now. My arms are flabby and my legs are soft. I know there is muscle building under there, but I'm still 260 pounds so it will be a while before I see it. I've been doing lots of cardio with some light weights, interval training and aerobics. Nothing heavy yet. I might also add that I'm 37 yo, 5'6" female.

Has this happened to anyone else??

I am a 35 yo, 5'6" female who started at around 280. I can say that I am now at 216 and the jiggly is just now starting to get better. I totally understand what you are seeing and feeling. I have no idea if there is a medically explanation for it, but I can tell you that as I continue to lose, the jiggly gets worse, then better in a cycle as i lose weight. My plan is to get the weight off, then deal with the jiggles later. I know I'm building muscle and losing weight so the rest will follow suit soon enough. I've been losing consistently for about 17 months.
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Lyle McDonald provides an explanation about this. It is evidence of successful weight loss.

^^^That is really good and it makes total sense. I've seen that happen already. Thanks for sharing.
  • Mel2626
    Mel2626 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that I have pockets of fat now rather than an even distribution.

YES!! I keep commenting that my fat feels weird now. I can feel all the individual pockets of fat now instead of just giant blobs of it (for lack of better terms! lol). It definitely feels weird and I play with it often! :laugh:
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Oh, and breast shape changes as you lose too, but luckily corrects itself eventually as well!