Whey protein at Sams Club?

Options
Hi all,

I was at Sam’s club yesterday and saw a 5lb bag of whey protein for only $33! I believe it said it was from Muscletech, and I'm not sure if EAS is the manufacturer. I tried to research it online and can't find any reviews, then I went to the Sam’s website, but it only lists EAS, and the bag I saw looks different. (Black bag)
So since I can't find it online to research, just a couple of questions......
1) Anyone else tried or is familiar with Muscletech Whey protein?
2) How's it taste?
3) Is it a fast absorbing whey protein, or slow release?
4) Did it help performance--see results?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Replies

• NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Would like to know too..
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    EAS is Muscletech. It's ok. IMO if can do the job but check the sodium/sugar/carb content!
  • RaeannePemberton
    RaeannePemberton Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    ok, so i have tried them ALL. :-) except this one.... and i seriously eyeballed it yesterday.... LOL so it's timely that you asked this.

opinions are like belly buttons, but here is my two cents:

1. look at cholesterol content, lower quality whey has higher cholesterol (do some comparison shopping on this one)
    Look at sugar content and artificial sweetener content to make sure that those align with your priorities
    consider the calories... can you get this same amount from a more naturally occurring protein source, and for less cals?
    look at the sodium.... you want it fairly low
    taste isn't everything, and you can pretty much make anything taste good with some fruit, etc. BUT most plain protein shakes have the same strange taste

2. companies have gotten really good at making their products sound great but read the label and judge from there

3. you want a protein ISOLATE, not a CONCENTRATE.... and anything that says "proprietary blend" is their fancy way of saying a little of this, and a little of that.

4. GNC has some really nice stuff, but it's pricey

5. Beachbody and other online companies offer great varieties but are only available online

6. at walmart, my fave is BodyFortress but even it has drawbacks

7. lastly... have you tried other sources? soy protein, hemp protein, egg protein, just to name a few... and there are lots of blends on the market. i really like trader joe's hemp protein... great calories, great fiber, great content overall.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • _GingerSnap_
    _GingerSnap_ Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    ok, so i have tried them ALL. :-) except this one.... and i seriously eyeballed it yesterday.... LOL so it's timely that you asked this.

opinions are like belly buttons, but here is my two cents:

1. look at cholesterol content, lower quality whey has higher cholesterol (do some comparison shopping on this one)
    Look at sugar content and artificial sweetener content to make sure that those align with your priorities
    consider the calories... can you get this same amount from a more naturally occurring protein source, and for less cals?
    look at the sodium.... you want it fairly low
    taste isn't everything, and you can pretty much make anything taste good with some fruit, etc. BUT most plain protein shakes have the same strange taste

2. companies have gotten really good at making their products sound great but read the label and judge from there

3. you want a protein ISOLATE, not a CONCENTRATE.... and anything that says "proprietary blend" is their fancy way of saying a little of this, and a little of that.

4. GNC has some really nice stuff, but it's pricey

5. Beachbody and other online companies offer great varieties but are only available online

6. at walmart, my fave is BodyFortress but even it has drawbacks

7. lastly... have you tried other sources? soy protein, hemp protein, egg protein, just to name a few... and there are lots of blends on the market. i really like trader joe's hemp protein... great calories, great fiber, great content overall.

GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm usually pretty ridiculous with researching something--but I was in a rush yesterday at the store so I didn't get much of a chance to read the label, and I thought--just find it online...nope!
  • whouwannab
    whouwannab Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    bump
  • spk15
    spk15 Posts: 2
    Options
    To say the muschle tech protein powder was bad is putting it nicely. It is absolutely horrible. It tastes just like it smells. It has a mediciney smelly and it taste mediciney. Now i realize that protein powder isnt supposed to be yummy is used for a reason but come on. EAS whey protein powder taste better in fact you dont even taste it. Im sorry they stopped selling the EAS at Sams Club and went with Muscletech. Now I have to run around looking for EAS. I am not in anyway affiliated way EAS just bought the Muscletech at Sams club because thats all they had and it was horrible. Bought 2 bags used one scoop and took them both back and got my money back. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.
  • spk15
    spk15 Posts: 2
    Options
    To say the muschle tech protein powder was bad is putting it nicely. It is absolutely horrible. It tastes just like it smells. It has a mediciney smelly and it taste mediciney. Now i realize that protein powder isnt supposed to be yummy is used for a reason but come on. EAS whey protein powder taste better in fact you dont even taste it. Im sorry they stopped selling the EAS at Sams Club and went with Muscletech. Now I have to run around looking for EAS. I am not in anyway affiliated way EAS just bought the Muscletech at Sams club because thats all they had and it was horrible. Bought 2 bags used one scoop and took them both back and got my money back. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE.
  • jbcondon33936
    Options
    You can buy 5 lbs of EAS whey protein online at Sam's Club for $37 and it includes free shipping. You can get vanilla or chocolate.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

Agree, tried it once and never will again. Tasted horrid and sickenly sweet!
  • 1swlg1948
    1swlg1948 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My sister just had gastric bypass and she uses it for her protein drink. It is great as far as I am concerned. You can just shake it up in your milk; whatever kind you use and it is smooth,creamy and no after taste. Hope this helps. Judy