Not quite the "normal" success story

Options
keenercam
keenercam Posts: 321 Member
I realized again today just how fortunate I am to be alive and to be active. For almost 10 years, I'd suffered a debilitating electrical defect in my heart that was potentially fatal. It meant that I was constantly exhausted, often had "sparkly" vision that prevented me from driving, my "resting" heart rate was 142 bpm and when it spiked, it shut down EKG machines that registered the heartbeat as a malfunction in the medical equipment because it was over 200 bpm. I spent lots of time in the ER, the cardiac care unit, and ICU. Walking up the stairs to my bedroom was a once a day effort and I spent a lot of time on the couch or in bed. I gained a lot of weight.

Well into the progression of my condition, I was put on drugs of "last resort", the kind they give you to keep you comfortable and give you some quality of life without regard for long-term side effects (because the expectation is you won't be around to suffer them). Then we fpund a doctor who everyone called a "cowboy" - he was a pioneer, really. Remarkably, my health insurer approved my trip "out-of-network" for my third surgery in the hopes that his advances in electrophysiology would provide a cure. That surgery failed. When there was literlaly nothing left to be done, he tried again in what we all agreed was a risky venture, but what the heck, right? He succeeded in curing me 9 years and 11 months after I was diagnosed. I went home from the hospital 2 days later and tore up the "goodbye" letters I'd written to my husband and kids. And I embarked on a journey to get healthy. That was more than 7 years ago.

This morning, when I was stressing over the fact that I've lost no significant amount of weight after the 70 I'd lost in the first few years after my "cure", I had a lightbulb moment. This can't just be about a number on the scale for me. I have a LOT of weight to lose still. If I had my eating under control, I'd probably be positively thin by now. But I'm not. I struggle with my love of food and my overeating habits every day.

However, I am so much healthier than I've ever been in my life. And I am remarkably fit, especially for someone of my size. I actually have a hard time getting my heart rate up during my cardio workouts now because my endurance is so great. My family doctor told me last year that I am more fit than most of his patients who weigh a lot less than I do. Of course, we both agree that I'd be even healthier if I could lose another 40-50 pounds, but he keeps telling me not to beat myself up. That he'd rather I continue to go to the gym 5x/week than to step on the scale every day. Maybe that's my success.

I love to exercise. I love to walk. I love being at the gym, surrounded by like-minded people who are also working to get fit or stay fit. Is that a NSV? Maybe it's the 9 half-marathons I've completed or the more than 20 5ks and the countless other distance races. Getting myself to the start line. Standing on my own two feet and healthy at the finish line. Maybe that's my success.

In just the past 5 months, I've exercised 9,696 minutes. I have to call that a non-scale victory too.

I've been wishing I had a success story to share here. This morning, I realized that every day I get out of bed and head to the gym for a good workout or I help coach Special Olympics distance walking and running program, or I register for a race and get to the finish line, that's MY success.

Believe me, I'm not saying it's an excuse to be overweight. I have a long way to go. But there can be many successes along the journey, and they aren't all measured on the scale.

Replies

• chelmo50
    chelmo50 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A great outlook!!! Congratulations for all of the successes you HAVE had! NINE half marathons!!! That's awesome!! Life is too short to not find a balance between being happy in the moment and celebrating where you are yet still striving for your goals and dreams. It sounds like you know that better than anyone!
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    so happy for you!:smile:
  • janetb21
    janetb21 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think you are amazing!
  • niecyc23
    niecyc23 Posts: 402
    Options
    What a great story I'm glad you are so much better and you are so right this is more then a scale victory!!!
  • Jen5588
    Jen5588 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Made me teary eyed reading this! You are an amazing, big hearted person we need more people like you! Good luck on your journey!
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    very inspiring story...our success can't be counted in pounds only, quality of life and enjoying that life counts for something also!

Keep up the good work.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I am a heck of a lot more than just a number on the scale. I think every day we are more active, live better and chase big goals (nice work on the runs), it's a success to celebrate.

"A year from now you may wish you'd started today." Karen Lamb
    What were you doing a year ago?
  • healthynotthin
    healthynotthin Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    This was so inspirational to read. You've really done some amazing things and I love hearing all of this. You are doing so wonderfully and I know you have the greatest mindset you could! You go :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I usually look under the "Success story" heading because I find the before and after pictures inspiring but your story is even better.
    Really puts things in perspective.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    This is absolutely a success story. You've come a long way and should be very proud.
  • keenercam
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone, for your kind words. I think we can sometimes get so hung up on the number on the scale that we forget about the importance of our overall health and other numbers, that may be other good indicators of our progress and small successes.
  • Deisel1974
    Deisel1974 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    May I ask, what was your condition and what did the Dr. do to fix it ?
  • keenercam
    Options
    May I ask, what was your condition and what did the Dr. do to fix it ?

My condition was originally random episodes of ventricular tacchychardia. Then it became "sustained VTach" and ultimately "continuous VTach". It was caused by an electrical malfunction in the heart and looked like a "comet" racing around through the heart.

The first two ablations (my surgeries were done through catheters at the carotid artery and from the groin) required extensive "burning" in the heart to destroy the tissue where the circuit was connecting. Unfortunately, through the first 3 attempts (each of which took more than 8 hours), I was not under general anesthesia and the procedure was painful because of how extensive the "burns" were. In those three attempts, they couldn't get all of it, so the "comet" regenerated itself and got progressively more powerful.

Ultimately, the fouth surgery was done under general anesthesia (for the first time) so that they could respond quickly to any cardiac arrest that might be precipitated by the procedure and so that the medical team would have the "luxury of time" in mapping the heart and the circuitry and burning at a controlled pace without me suffering through it (as I had when I was only "twilighted" in the first three attempts. That surgery took almost 10 hours and the electrophysiologist ultimately had to go into the interventricular septum (sort of the wall separating two sections of the heart) to "chase" the "comet" and to burn it until it was dead. Since this had never been done, there was an expectation that the malfunction might re-generate, and there was no experience from which to determine just how much of the "burning" the human heart could endure and still survive.

At best, we were hoping for a respite from the condition and that my heart wasn't so damaged that it might not survive the next reoccurrence. Fortunately, it was my own personal miracle. The condition never recurred and while I had all sorts of side of effects from all of the radical medications I was on during those nearly 10 years, my heart is very healthy and the scarring never caused any problems.
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    you are very inspiring.....I'm glad you are here!
  • RubyWare
    RubyWare Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Very inspiring story and happy you shared!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!