I am feeling so defeated!

Options
I had been doing very well toward my goal. I logged every. single. bite. I stopped overeating because I didn't want to have to log it and "admit" that I'd gone over my calorie budget.

Then...I messed up. I started jogging. I love to run. I didn't know I could do it. I have asthma and remember running hurting (as in...it hurt to breathe) as a teen. It felt awesome though. Until the shin splints set in. So, I opted to do Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred. I actually enjoyed Level One. Level Two hurt. As in...I almost threw up kind of hurt. It hurt my knees and wrists. It became so anxiety-inducing that I started all over again with Level One, just doing the advanced moves, but quit again because of the same level of pain and frustration with level 2.

Then I injured my knee. Again. Add to that a lot of life stress...and I was back to eating emotionally and logging nothing.

I had wanted to lose weight and get healthier before my family goes to Disney next month. I began my journey toward better health at the end of last year. I had made so much progress...and I've lost it.

Some days I get motivated and want to LOSE ALL THE WEIGHT! (A la Hyperbole and a Half) and sometimes I just want to sit on the couch and get fat.

How do you stay motivated? How do you pick yourself up and dust yourself off to begin what feels like all over again? I'm very angry at myself for allowing this to happen.

I think part of it is that I don't have a lot of time available to me to work out. We live in a small town with no gym, so that's not an option. I have a kiddo who isn't in school yet, so I can't just jog/walk in the daytime while the bigger kids are in school. Before The Hubs leaves for work isn't an option because it's dark. (He leaves early.) After he and the kids get home from school and work is family time and I'm scrambling to fix the kids' lunches for the next day, get supper on the table, get our daughter to her band commitments, church, etc. I'm exhausted by then.

I can, however, do a Wii Active Workout, or some type of workout on TV. Any recommendations?

I'd really appreciate any ideas and support you might have for me. I was within 2 lbs of what my drivers license says I am...and I'd like to have to put a lower number there next time!

Replies

• jrbb03092
    jrbb03092 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What about putting your youngest one in a stroller and going for a walk together? Even if they squirm and complain the first day or two, they'll get that you're serious about doing it after that.

There's also Leslie Sansone DVDs for walking in place at home.

Wii fit.

I'm not quite in the same position but I have fibro and arthritis and I am really limited in what I can do. I walk in the morning for 30 mins, I walk with my daughter after school for another 30. I'm doing aquafit 3 times a week for 1 hour each time but I also have issues with my head from a serious concussion I suffered a while ago and the aquafit leaves me feeling dizzy and nauseated.

I am at the point where I am accepting that I am limited physically and that most of my progress is going to come from diet and then hopefull, as the weight comes off, maybe there'll be more I can do.
  • rjsimpson2002
    rjsimpson2002 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    It can be so exhausting having a young child so well done for making that change. Walking is great exercise and there are free workouts on you tube that can be done in 20 mins. Weights are a good way to change your body and can be done at home. I wish you all the best & hope your knee heals soon xx
  • shokes718
    shokes718 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is stop being angry at yourself. I know when that happens to me, I just want to eat everything in sight and forget the whole thing. You need to be positive that tomorrow is a new day. This is a journey and you don't get to your goal and everything is perfect. Even when we try to maintain a healthy weight, it takes discipline. Every time I make a mistake, I tell myself "so what?"....it doesn't define me. I'm defined as someone who cherishes health and will always strive towards it.

I stay motivated by picking up again. I remember how good freedom feels when I can fit in the size I want. I get up and exercise when I don't feel like it. Afterwards, I am so happy that I did it. There is never regret in refusing food or exercising. I suggest you take your child out with you. Get a jogging stroller if you can and just go. Your little one will love it. There are tons of DVDs out there. Just make sure you do something that you like to do. There is no need to injure yourself of be anxiety ridden because of a video. I personally love Shaun T's Rockin' Body DVD's. They're fun and he is so encouraging. Pick what works for you. If you fall down tomorrow, that's OK. The next day is brand new.
  • Haley_Diane
    Haley_Diane Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wow! That was fast! I very much appreciate the support and your kind words and suggestions. I've often considered getting a jogging stroller, I just never have. Finances are tight, but a jogging stroller would be a good investment in my health, and when Mama is healthy and happy, the family does better.

Funny thing is that we've never had a stroller with our son. I always wore him in a sling. Unfortunately he's too big to do that (he'll be 5 next month) because that would be a lot of calories burned. ;-)

You are so right. Today is new...tomorrow doesn't have any mistakes yet. I've done well with my calories today! My knee is getting better. I think I'll invest some time in myself after everyone gets home. Maybe The Hubs and I can leave our daughter in charge and walk together.

Thank you again, friends!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I can relate. I'm pretty sure there is some unspoken rule out there in the universe that says I am NOT allowed to start working out without getting sick and/or injured within a week or two (doesn't help that my asthma is exercise-induced so I know what you mean by the breathing hurting). I wish I were exaggerating but every time I get on the exercise train, something happens within two weeks (I guess maybe I should stop giving up so I can stop re-starting?!)

In any case, this used to frustrate me like no other!!! I felt like a failure and I felt weak and I wondered why I bothered trying. I especially felt like that after trying 30DS for the first time and having to quit after Day 8 because I seriously felt like my shins were going to just snap in half. I took a LONG time off, and tried 30DS again- I still can't get through the first level without my shins killing me. But this time I thought- "I guess that one isn't for me. Not yet anyway." So I started swimming again. And yesterday I tried a workout video I had abandoned a long time ago. I forgot how high-impact it was and for a second I panicked, thinking "omg I'm not going to be able to finish this!" but instead I just marched in place while they jumped, and I did the "hopping" exercises but squatting instead of jumping. And I still felt like I got a great workout!

Anywho, I guess what I'm trying to say is- don't beat yourself up when a certain routine isn't compatible with your body. That is NOT your fault, and there are always alternatives. Maybe spend some time researching at-home low-impact exercises. Trust me, I wish I could do Insanity and 30DS and all those too...but I'd rather avoid those (for now) and continue with exercises that don't injure me...than push myself too hard, end up injured, and have to stop exercising entirely.

Is swimming an option for you at all? That's such a great full-body workout, virtually no-impact, and is especially great for asthmatics- it even helps improve your lung capacity and strength.
  • jtukey
    jtukey Posts: 3
    Options
    Muscles typically get fit relatively quickly as compared to bone. Bone has to remodel along new stress lines that are placed on it with new activities.........this takes time. People typically get inspired to go jogging all of a sudden or in the spring. Their muscles get toned faster than their bones which results in micro-fractures we all know as "shin splints" ..........walking and slow exercise burns fat much better than really fast exercise which burns sugars and just increases appetite. People that worked all day long in the past worked at a steady fat burning pace.........and they had hard bones to boot. I used to run up to 10 miles a day but wore out my knees........so I know the love of running. Still walking and brisk exercise can elevate the heart, open the lungs and give one a feeling of youthfulness (or at least it helps me). My experience is to get people to go slower but more sustained. Few injuries, fewer sore muscles, less fatigue. The only down side is that we are all programmed that no pain no gain. That is fine if you want damaged joints due to a commando mentality. Even they only last for so many years. The other thing is that muscles and their enzymes (their machinery) take time to come to full efficiency just like warming up a car engine..........there is an optimal range of temperature. All athletes know this an wam-up accordingly. I find I do much better if I cut myself some slack- and feel much better after 10-15 minutes of non-max work.............the blood is now in my muscles and the metabolism is starting to peak.........then I feel much better. Now i enjoy exercising.

Make sure you are training at a pace that doesn't injure your body. It is fine it these very fit trainers push people but they are already hard not GETTING hard........you will eventually get to to your goals if you slow the rate of drive down and have fewer injuries than drive hard and land in the ditch from breakdowns so to speak...........I am a college professor and exercise physiology is part of what I teach. Cut yourself some slack and allow your injuries to heal.......your body to heal and you will be back into it in good time. Everytime you exercise you are doing something good for yourself, be it house work, walking with the stroller, etc etc etc........my wife stays trim as so many wives work 24/7----they have earned their exhaustion doing chores.

I am not trying to be a lecture, just encourage you........look at how far you have come..............injuries can be tough and pain can be very depressing especially as good as you feel when things are flowing along............unfortunately as an athlete..........(congratulations........you are one now).........the injuries do develop and you have a new area to train through.........injury protocols.........new experiences but you will prevail. I assume you are also consulting you physicial or physcial therapist.......they can be very helpful with sports injuries. Someone said stretches, yoga and swimming. Smart ideas
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Although I'm a big advocate of exercise BUT it's important to remember that weight loss can be achieved with out it. It's 80% diet 20% exercise. The first thing to do is to stay within your calorie goal - master that and you will lose weight. Going forward from there - start working in exercise. Walks with your little one and the Leslie Sansone DVD's are an excellent idea. I love Leslie. Don't stress over missing a workout, that's counter productive. Just fit in what you can!