excercise and eating

Options
I'm new to the exercise and diet. Been doing it for about a week now and have a question concerning counting calories.
The site estimates I should eat around 1700 calories a day bit I have been eating between 900 and 1000.
And that is with the calories I burn working out which is usually 600 to 900 according to my polar ft hrm. This site says I should eat those calories back. Is this something that I should be doing or will the calories I'm consuming be OK because this app only let's me put in to lose two pounds a week. I'm just wondering if I should be eating more even if I'm not hungry to see different results.

As of right now in a little over three weeks I have lost 24 pounds doing it my way and using this site along with my exercise routine. Just don't want to be hurting myself in the long run.

Replies

• Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Depending how much you have to lose you can see a huge drop in weight loss on the scale by eating at a huge deficit from where you should be eating.. However to have a sustainable weight loss I would probably start eating more and raising your calories up to a level that MFP estimates for you..
  • jloew05
    jloew05 Posts: 14
    Options
    so if i burn 900 calories i should eat 2600 for the day it just seems really high especially since i am not hungry. i mean i could see eating 1200 or so which is my goal but wouldn't eating over the 1700 mark mfp suggest be counter productive even if i exercise and burn 900 calories?

And my goal is about another 20 pounds away from where i am at. I started at 266 and am at 242 right now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    so if i burn 900 calories i should eat 2600 for the day it just seems really high especially since i am not hungry. i mean i could see eating 1200 or so which is my goal but wouldn't eating over the 1700 mark mfp suggest be counter productive even if i exercise and burn 900 calories?

How much did you used to eat before you started to diet?
    Do you have any comparison of that 2600 on a workout day to compare to, besides the 1700 goal on non-exercise days.

So that 1700 already has a 1000 cal deficit in it - workout or not doesn't matter.

To maintain that safer deficit, if you burn more, you eat more.

That's exactly why your daily goal increases.

Bigger deficit is eventually very counterproductive. Use the search button for "stall" and "plateau" and discover what will happen eventually, especially fast with bigger workouts.

And you feeling fully fed is not the same as your body being fed fully for your level of activity.
  • chrisdykes
    Options
    Often when your calorie intake it too low, your metabolism slows down and this can make it harder to lose weight. Clearly this isn't happening to you now, but it could happen in the future. The exercise is likely helping. If you hit a plateau in the future on the same plan, you may actually need to start eating more.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    24 lbs..3 weeks. Healthy loss = 1-2 lbs per week. You are losing 8. You may be able to keep it up for another 3 weeks at which point you will crash from the lack of energy, go on a bender binge, give up completely or be back here complaining that you haven't lost any more weight. It's entirely up to you what you do.

There are hundreds of posts here explaining how to lose weight safely and KEEP IT OFF which most people can't do if they have lost it via low calorie diets. There are hundreds of posts which explain how to calculate the right number of calories for you, to figure out BMR, TDEE etc.. a search will give you the answer..if you can't eat stop working out - you are only hurting yourself in the long run.
  • Radly
    Radly Posts: 1
    Options
    What kind of exercise are you doing burning 900 calories? How long and what? I think there may be a miscalculation there somewhere. Id check that out before adjusting any calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm new to the exercise and diet. Been doing it for about a week now and have a question concerning counting calories.
    The site estimates I should eat around 1700 calories a day bit I have been eating between 900 and 1000.
    And that is with the calories I burn working out which is usually 600 to 900 according to my polar ft hrm. This site says I should eat those calories back. Is this something that I should be doing or will the calories I'm consuming be OK because this app only let's me put in to lose two pounds a week. I'm just wondering if I should be eating more even if I'm not hungry to see different results.

As of right now in a little over three weeks I have lost 24 pounds doing it my way and using this site along with my exercise routine. Just don't want to be hurting myself in the long run.

If I understand your post correctly, you are eating between <0 - 300 net calories (total calories minus calories burned through exercise) per day. That is too little for anyone not under a supervision of a physician. 1700 calories for a man will still yield weight loss. Try to eat closer to that. If you are truly full on what you are eating try to add more unsaturated fat to your diet as that will add calories without bulk. And your body needs fat to function properly.
  • jloew05
    Options
    I never really thought to count calories before i started the diet and exercise. and the 2600 is what mfp is telling me i need to eat for an exercise day which just seems really high and i would have to over double the calories that im taking in now. and my energy level is higher than it was when i was not doing either.

the 900 calories is from me doing insanity on my days off from the gym which today was a 60 minute interval training workout and i am using a polar ft7 hrm to get my calories burned from and from what i have read it is a pretty accurate way to do it. Also i do not burn 900 every day that is usually just the days i do the insanity workout.

I also intake on some days more that the 1000 calories probably closer to 1200 - 1300 its just some days i do not feel that hungry. i will try and consume more calories i was just doing this because i had a nutritionist that is a friend of a friend tell me what i was doing was ok and that i didnt need to eat all the calories i burned back.
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    If you want to lose weight and keep it off I would suggest that you increase your calorie intake. You're not even eating at your BMR...(I am guessing) unless you're a very small person. I would also recommend measuring your food. I find it hard to believe that you have lots of energy on 1000-1200 calories a day. If you don't mind the yo yo of losing and then putting it back on, you should keep up the good work.
  • heybales
    Options
    I never really thought to count calories before i started the diet and exercise. and the 2600 is what mfp is telling me i need to eat for an exercise day which just seems really high and i would have to over double the calories that im taking in now. and my energy level is higher than it was when i was not doing either.

the 900 calories is from me doing insanity on my days off from the gym which today was a 60 minute interval training workout and i am using a polar ft7 hrm to get my calories burned from and from what i have read it is a pretty accurate way to do it. Also i do not burn 900 every day that is usually just the days i do the insanity workout.

I also intake on some days more that the 1000 calories probably closer to 1200 - 1300 its just some days i do not feel that hungry. i will try and consume more calories i was just doing this because i had a nutritionist that is a friend of a friend tell me what i was doing was ok and that i didnt need to eat all the calories i burned back.

First, most nutritionist use a system that has been very standard where you figure out a daily goal that INCLUDES your planned exercise routine on a weekly basis, get avg daily, take deficit.

So for that method, they are correct.

But notice how MFP is different. Daily goal no exercise, take deficit. When you work out you eat more.
    Turns out the same when you look at the week, unless you miss workouts. Then MFP works better.

HRM is likely very inaccurate for you.
    Any idea what your HRmax stat is? The default it uses is 220-age. Ever gotten up to that HR in Insanity and didn't have to stop instantly and almost puke? If you did, that is probably your max then. If you didn't, it's higher, and you are being given inflated calorie burn.

Also, since Insanity is mostly trying to do intervals, some in anaerobic range, the HRM is very over estimating that, since it's intended for steady state aerobic HR range only, for calorie estimates anyway.

And yes, most folks have no idea how much they use to eat.

Pick out a couple of fast food meals you use to eat frequently and see how much was in it. Add some common snacks. You'll usually get the idea that 1200 used to be in 1 meal.

You only have to cut 1000 calories from what you used to eat, if you were at the point of maintaining before.
  • jloew05
    Options
    Well the max heart rate that I got to was 175 during this workout and it does use the age formula but how inaccurate could that be when it co es to the calories? And also before I bought this I was looking at what others have seen from coin. Insanity and some were around a thousand so it doesn't seem like its to far off when I was asking all out with the work out the whole 60 minutes. Also you can change your max if you know what it is. Are there any other ways to get more accuracy with it if its causing that big of a problem. I bought it so I could get a decent estimate for my workouts.
    And your saying drop a thousand calories so the roughly 1200 that I eat is probably were I should be and its probably plus or minus 100 or so depending on some measurement.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well the max heart rate that I got to was 175 during this workout and it does use the age formula but how inaccurate could that be when it co es to the calories? And also before I bought this I was looking at what others have seen from coin. Insanity and some were around a thousand so it doesn't seem like its to far off when I was asking all out with the work out the whole 60 minutes. Also you can change your max if you know what it is. Are there any other ways to get more accuracy with it if its causing that big of a problem. I bought it so I could get a decent estimate for my workouts.
    And your saying drop a thousand calories so the roughly 1200 that I eat is probably were I should be and its probably plus or minus 100 or so depending on some measurement.

I'm hoping at the least that 1200 is base calories that you eat on top of for your exercise, but for males, even that's too low.
    1500 is the recommended bottom level for safety reasons. But just like minimum building codes, it's for safety, not for longevity, performance, or aesthetics. Plus it's intended for Sedentary.

HRmax has almost half the bearing in the formula's.
    VO2max has almost the other half. If that's not a stat, then age and HRmax is used to estimate it.

So 196 if you fell within range. Luckily for us, as males, we do indeed have better chance of being within 10 bpm than outside that range. Sadly women almost opposite.

Anyway, despite estimate, you could have a diesel or a Honda heart, slow and powerful or fast and light. Genetics.

If you held at 175 for a whole 60 min, and your real HRmax was 210, that actually isn't that much of a workout to you, 83% of max.
    Now, if HRmax was really 185, then that was one intense workout for you, 95% of max (and couldn't sustain for 60 min, so bad choice of example numbers, but point is true).

So it has a big bearing on calorie burn estimates.

Sadly, most examples of calorie burn are going to be coming from folks that have HRM's that have terrible formula's for estimating calorie burn, and/or don't have them set up correctly with their stats.
    Ask your friends list, and if over 20 people, wouldn't be surprised if you asked who updated their HRM with their new weight, probably 5 would have forgotten. Or used to regularly forget until they got into a habit.

Spin bike ads at the gym have the same claim, you can burn up to 1000 calories an hr in class. That's great if possible. For starters, too bad the sessions are only 45 min not 60. Secondly, with 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down, so only 35 of potentially hard riding. 3rd, to actually ride at that level is incredibly difficult.

Anyway, claims are interesting.

So, here is couple methods to get your HRmax value, puke test and submaximal test. Since you enjoy pushing yourself, the puke test may actually be fun and interesting, though fun may not be the word to use. Near the end of the post is other test methods. 1 mile walk is interesting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/466973-i-want-to-test-for-my-max-heart-rate-vo2-max

And then to test your HRM for decent accuracy, walking level 3-4 mph has been found to be more accurate by calculator than by HRM. It literally takes so much energy to move so much mass so fast, and unless you have a club foot or walk super efficiently compared to everyone else, very valid.

So use this site to see what walking level at 4mph should burn for you. Then test before your next workout. 5 min warmup so HR settles back down, then do it for say 15 or 20 min. This will tell you how far off the HRM is. Oh, the HRM would be reporting Gross. But for purpose of eating back exercise, it would be Net.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Fun test here too, fiddle with the incline and walking speeds up to what you can actually do, and see how much incline you'd need to get 1000 calories in 60 min. And then try it for 10 min and see if you could really hold out.
    I'd have to do 3.9 mph at 14% grade. I might test that out to see how bad that is, but pretty sure 60 min ain't going to happen.

And finally, because I want to remind you of your worst homework days during school, here is a spreadsheet link in this topic post that has a HRM tab you should check out, especially if your HRM does have VO2max stat. And if it doesn't, that HRM tab has a Polar funded study formula that uses VO2max and you can get your own personal calorie burn chart. Also has some links for estimating HRmax too, calculator for estimating VO2max better than submaximal test, ect.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/750920-spreadsheet-for-bmr-tdee-deficit-macro-calcs-hrm-zones

Have fun with it. No due date, no need to show work either. ;-)