How To Get More Protein

Options
I'm pretty new at eating healthy. I'm trying to move away from processed foods and eat more clean. I really want to focus on adding protein to my diet.
Other than the obvious eating more meat, what are some good ways to work protein in on a daily basis?

Replies

• kaiteboo
    kaiteboo Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is my new best friend! 18 grams of protein in 3/4 a cup of plain greek yogurt :). I usually buy plain and add in fruit and nuts. But if you have never tried it before you might want to buy a flavoured one or vanilla. The plain yogurt is actually a good replacement for any recipe that calls for sour cream, I make chip dip out of it adding garlic, onion, dill or french onion soup mix and have it with baked chips!

Some other things you might wanna try..
    - add chickpeas to your salads
    - tuna
    - hard boiled eggs
    - add beans to your pasta sauces
    - add nuts and seeds to your cereals and oatmeal
    - making protein shakes and baking with protein powder
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    greek yoghurt, cottage cheese, quark, eggs, nuts, pulses. peanut butter is great but high in fat - i just tried PB2 recently and its great, not much different from the real thing and meat obv (turkey is really high in protein/low in fat). :)

i second the greek yoghurt instead of sour cream.

scrambled eggs made with a tbspoon of cottage cheese instead milk and butter is good too.
  • TRUK
    TRUK Posts: 12
    Options
    Have you thought about egg whites or supplementing with whey protein shakes? I find for me its very hard to get .6 to 1 grams of protein per pound of body weight and keeping my other nutritional values in check without supplementing. Our goals maybe different but whey protein post workout might be a thought.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have lots of recipes on my blog with protein :0) http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com and adding many daily
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    3laine75 has a really good list. I add beans and lentils to salads, roast vegetables, pasta, anything I think they'll work with. Add eggs to various foods. Everyday I have a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese and 1/2 cup of greek yogurt as snacks. Between the two I get 25 g of protien. I don't eat a lot of meat and I would not meet my protien goals without them (still don't quite get there sometimes.)
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I used to eat egg whites for breakfast a lot. Low calories, good protein, and lots of ways to make it different. I'd put 2 or 3 eggs worth of liquid whites in a mug and microwave it about 2 minutes, then add salsa or spinach or just salt and pepper. I also love greek yogurt.
  • FluffyDogsRule
    FluffyDogsRule Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    yep...i also have cottage cheese and greek yogurt as snacks every day. i typically use plain greek and add a few drops of vanilla stevia and/or fresh fruit. yummy for dessert, too.

kashi go lean for breakfast almost every day as well...but i need all the fiber i can get...
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Beans,tofu, almond or soy milk
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty new at eating healthy. I'm trying to move away from processed foods and eat more clean. I really want to focus on adding protein to my diet.
    Other than the obvious eating more meat, what are some good ways to work protein in on a daily basis?

*Tips for busy moms:
    One night or day boil 6-12 eggs, and bake a tray of Boneless Chicken.

Eggs are ready for usage anytime of your week for snacks, add to salads, make an egg salad sandwich, etc..

Cut up Chicken into pieces for salads, soups, tacos, etc.. and put into containers
    Slice some for sandwiches and put in ziploc or container.

Prep is done & helps you get your protein, especially being a busy mom.

*Another prep time could be cutting up veggies for omelletes and soups, and slice into veggie sticks and wedges to go with your yougurt and cottage cheese, or just as a snack to go.

*Cook extra vegetables at dinner and use the leftover vegetables into eggs, salads, and soups, or have as a side dish whenver.
  • sscad
    sscad Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I used to eat egg whites for breakfast a lot. Low calories, good protein, and lots of ways to make it different. I'd put 2 or 3 eggs worth of liquid whites in a mug and microwave it about 2 minutes, then add salsa or spinach or just salt and pepper. I also love greek yogurt.

^THIS. Egg whites are amazing if you're looking to up your protein. I'd like to add them into my meals any chance I get, especially into rice, oats, and tuna. Other proteins like greek yogurt, cheese, fish, nuts, and seeds are good too, but remember, egg whites don't have the fat that's often associated with some high protein foods. If you're going to buy liquid egg whites from the supermarket, make sure what you get is 100% egg whites with no additives! But please don't be afraid to eat egg yolks either :wink: For breakfast, for instance, I usually have one egg mixed with egg whites (so it tastes like I'm having 2-3 eggs but with less calories/fat)
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I use peanut flour a lot in my recipes, it's high in protein (16g for 1/2 c I believe) low in calories and very low in fat. It's like pb2 without the sugar and with much more protein. I order mine on line. Just google peanut flour, it's delicious. I have used protein plus and Byrd mill, both are great. You can also mix it with a little water, stevia and a dash of salt and sub it for a lower fat peanut butter fix. I mix mine with my walden farms calorie free pancake syrup for my protein pancakes every morning and the list goes on....
  • Bean615
    Bean615 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    i drink some whey protein for breakfast, i also chew on almonds through out the day, i love hummus-that has a good amount of protein, also kashi makes some good all natural healthy snack bars that have a good amount of protein in them, peanut butter is awesome! i love having healthy PB&J sandwiches! keeps me full for hours!