Side Effects of Our Journey

Options
I have two dogs and they use to love me and follow me and sit patiently for the end of meal time so they could have the scraps. Then it was off to the kitchen where they were fed leftovers that never even made it to anyone’s plate. Those were two of the happiest dogs you have ever seen.

When my wife and I started this journey a few weeks ago the dogs became confused, all of a sudden there were no treats for them at the end of mealtime and even worse the kitchen pans apparently were always empty. They were baffled by this. As time has continued to move forward I have sensed a little resentment and attitude being displayed at the end of mealtime; in fact, I would swear the larger of the dogs was thinking “Are you f#$%ing kidding me with this rawhide crap”, when I gave him a treat last night. The upside of this is that the dogs seem to be getting a bit less rounded in the tummy area, but the downside is I think they are conspiring to get into that big box with all the food in it and they just might figure it out.

On a slightly more serious note, I find it amusing that after dinner our plates are pretty clean. I think it is because since we are logging the food, and the calories are counting against our daily limit, we don’t want a single calorie left behind.

Last week I finished off a bag of oranges, I like oranges but I rarely ever have finished a bag; usually, I eat several and then by the time I get back to wanting one they are rotting. Tomorrow I will finish off my first bag, ever I think, of Peaches. Grapes have never stood a chance, lol. I think next week I will go for a bag of plums, in the past I usually threw 2 or 3 of them away.

Do Nothing and Regret it Later or Do Something and Enjoy it Later, Your Future Is In Your Hands.

Replies

• peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    lulz
  • Litlbeast
    Litlbeast Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    lulz

Way to give back man.
  • peuglow
    Options
    lulz

Way to give back man.
    :(
  • Litlbeast
    Options
    lulz

Way to give back man.
    :(

Aw! :happy:
  • Litlbeast
    Options
    At John (original poster), do you read The Oatmeal comic site, and if you do, have you read the most recent one about dogs? My net use is limited here but it would come up easily if you googled it. I think you'd laugh til you cried. :)
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    awe...nice story.
  • Ginnyesq
    Ginnyesq Posts: 109
    Options
    My kitty used to get little pieces of chicken or fish sometimes. But if I'm tracking that I'm eating every last bit of it if I counted it. No more delicious chicken for you kitty!
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I think you need a baby...babies throw all kinds of food on the floor.
  • MrsBrosco
    MrsBrosco Posts: 295
    Options
    Cute story =)
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    At John (original poster), do you read The Oatmeal comic site, and if you do, have you read the most recent one about dogs? My net use is limited here but it would come up easily if you googled it. I think you'd laugh til you cried. :)
    Holy hell thats funny
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    This really brought a need smile to my face!!! lol
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    My pug loves veggies and fruits. So really not a whole lot has changed there... when I chop stuff I'll "Accidentally" drop a piece for him. I also make extra eggs and wheat pancakes on the weekends and give him some.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the smile! I've been wanting to get a dog, I just feel guilty having one while living alone and not being home too often.
  • peuglow
    Options
    OMG that describes my dog nearly perfectly. Love it!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the story John - I think we have all been there at one point. Our dog loved sitting under or near the table at meals. Keep up the good work!
  • JohnMessmer
    Options

Thanks, I had not seen that before. Really funny.
  • falewis
    falewis Posts: 10
    Options
    Great story. I am always amazed at how much fruit you get for little calories - you can have a bowl of cantaloupe for less calories than an ounce of sun chips. Since I started this journey, I'm in a similar situation as you - no food ever left on the plate, because I want to eat each calorie that is getting logged. Portion size has gone down, and, so has the waist line and shirt size.

Keep up the good work!