fitbit to get one or not to get one? That is the question

Options
Hey I have been seeing all these pop-ups for fitbit and wanted to hear from people that have one if you like it or not and how it works or what is the best one they offer (the one that records sleep or not)?!?!

My biggest fear is that fitbit is a step counter that is easily trigred to count like the old ones back in the day as soon as you clicked it on it would count a few steps or if you bumped it, it would count as steps.

Any sugestions??

Thanks ;)

Replies

• stefanieanne14
    stefanieanne14 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I personally didn't like mine. It is basically a step counter that isn't accurate for anything that isn't "step" focused. Mine worked fine for walking, jogging, step class & zumba but for anything else I found it didn't calculate my calories burned correctly. I much prefer my bodybugg.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Ok so what is bodybugg? By the way I should add that I do have a HRM already now....
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, the current FitBit is on sale for $80 at most retailers, and there is a new one coming out at the end of this month. I ordered one on-line yesterday before I realized there is a new one, so I will exchange this one for the new one at the end of the month.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Thank you for this info if I do get one I will wait for the end of the month!
  • kb119
    kb119 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if you would be interested, but I would like to upgrade my Body Media Fit with a newer model and sell my other. The one I have is actually very new, I bought it in the spring time. It's the advantage model. I would sell it for $65… a really good deal! Anyway, I love it and can't stand working out without using it since it's so nice to know how much you're really burning. I used to really overestimate my burn and it helps me to be more accurate with my calorie deficit. Message me if you're interested in talking about it further.
  • abasmom
    abasmom Posts: 49
    Options
    I have had my fitbit ultra for about 6months and I LOVE IT, BEST 100 I EVER SPENT :) The ONLY time I take it off is in the shower. It counts my steps, my fave part because it lets me see how active or inactive I have been all day, when the # is low I know I gotta get moving. I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND GETTING ONE!!!!!
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit, which is similar to the Bodybugg. I have found it very helpful in my weightloss. It is very eyeopening to see how many calories I burn on a daily basis. The downfall is that it requires a monthly subscription fee. I just bought the Fitbit Zip and have found the calorie burn to be pretty similar to what my Body Media says. My subscription for Body Media is up in a couple weeks and I'm not going to renew it. I'm going to stick with the Fitbit.
  • annew1952
    annew1952 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love mine but everyone has their opinion. I didn't know they are coming out with a new one. You have. to decide yourself. I use the. Fitbit and mfp together. If calories seem way over I take the lower one of the two. I have a very active lifestyle so I
    have a good idea of what calories I burn. So for me I don't eat over two thousand calories a day. When I don't do a thing
    I eat 1200. Calories. Of course there are days at parties I eat the best I can.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    I have the Body Media Fit, which is similar to the Bodybugg. I have found it very helpful in my weightloss. It is very eyeopening to see how many calories I burn on a daily basis. The downfall is that it requires a monthly subscription fee. I just bought the Fitbit Zip and have found the calorie burn to be pretty similar to what my Body Media says. My subscription for Body Media is up in a couple weeks and I'm not going to renew it. I'm going to stick with the Fitbit.

Thank you for this information I am not looking in to spending more money on a subscription fee. That is why I left weight watchers I felt like I was wasting money and got no where. I LIKE FREE!!
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I love mine, the new one only adds water resistance(not water proof) and it will sync to your smart phone. If those features are important to you wait it out if not buy the ultra.
  • steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The zip also has the capability of syncing with Iphones and eventually Androids as well. It is $60 compared to $100 for the Ultra or One. It doesn't track sleep so if that is an important feature to you, then you would want the more expensive model.
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Well I know I don't sleep well already I move all around (my hubby says I sleep on my head) so I don't know if I should have that feature or not?
  • princessdartany
    princessdartany Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET IT.....JUST ANOTHER WEIGHT LOSS FOR PROFIT INSTRUMENT. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW MANY STEPS YOU TAKE IN A DAY AS FAR AS BURNING CALORIES. IF YOU ARE EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING THE GENERAL CALORIC LOST FOR EXERCISING IS ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN A CALORIC COUNT. THE RESULTS WILL BE SEEN IN THE MIRROR AND ON THE SCALE...NOT ON THE FITBIT. SPEND THAT MONEY ON GROCERIES AS HEALTHY EATING IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NOT.
  • dreilly501
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit Ultra since December and I love it. I use myfitnesspal to track my calorie intake and a whitings scale to track my weight. They both communicate with the Fitbit site. I use the Fitbit log to track my activities that do not use steps. Sleep tracking has really helped me. The only thing I don't like about it is that I can't sync it while traveling unless I bring a laptop along. The new Fitbit One takes care of that. The Fitbit Ultra has kept me on track. I'm not sure I would have lost as much as I have without it.

Btw, if you get one, get something to keep it secure. Some people use a pedometer strap. I bought some cell phone straps on Amazon and hook it to my house key when I go out.
  • trackercasey76
    trackercasey76 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    DON'T GET IT.....JUST ANOTHER WEIGHT LOSS FOR PROFIT INSTRUMENT. DOES IT REALLY MATTER HOW MANY STEPS YOU TAKE IN A DAY AS FAR AS BURNING CALORIES. IF YOU ARE EATING RIGHT AND EXERCISING THE GENERAL CALORIC LOST FOR EXERCISING IS ENOUGH TO MAINTAIN A CALORIC COUNT. THE RESULTS WILL BE SEEN IN THE MIRROR AND ON THE SCALE...NOT ON THE FITBIT. SPEND THAT MONEY ON GROCERIES AS HEALTHY EATING IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN NOT.

WHY ALL THE YELLING!!!!! Seriously she asked a simple question and alll caps is considered rude like YELLING at people
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    Thank you all for your input :smile:
  • CheekyRunner
    CheekyRunner Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I see you said you all ready have a HRM. Why don't you wear it all day and at the end of the day record how many calories you burnt and the next day just set that as a number to beat. I have read a lot of posts about the fit bit and it seems like it is a numbers thing...like taking more steps the next day, which = being more active (thats good right) . You could do this with your HRM but make it calories burnt...the more active you are the higher your number will be. Hope that helps. =
  • tekne1
    tekne1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I had a FitBit, but I ended up returning it because I was sick of it logging steps due to driving. You can edit that data, but it was just too fussy for me. Then I bought a BodyBugg SP (links with the iPhone) off eBay for about $50, but it was a crazy amount of money to get started on their website if you buy a used BodyBugg. You have to buy a "web only" subscription package, and then its $9.95 or so a month after that. So I sold it on eBay, and I bought a BodyMedia GoWear Fit off Craigslist for $15 (older model BodyMedia device). I'm finally satisfied. You get a free three month subscription on the BodyMedia website with no obligation, even for an old used BodyMedia device. After three months its $6.95/month, again with no obligation. Better yet, you can use free FreeTheBugg software with the device (does not work with BodyBugg SP or BodyMedia Fit Link bluetooth models) to avoid all subscription fees. The BodyBugg and BodyMedia devices do not link with MFP, but I simply log my gross calories on the BodyMedia site using an iPhone app at the end of the day. Not super fussy, and I have the data I want.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Im sorry what was the question...I have a hard time paying attention
  • VCWildberger
    Options
    I see you said you all ready have a HRM. Why don't you wear it all day and at the end of the day record how many calories you burnt and the next day just set that as a number to beat. I have read a lot of posts about the fit bit and it seems like it is a numbers thing...like taking more steps the next day, which = being more active (thats good right) . You could do this with your HRM but make it calories burnt...the more active you are the higher your number will be. Hope that helps. =

Thanks I may give this a try