Not healthy, but under the calorie count, is sufficient?

Options
This is a theoretical question: say, I eat a couple of sandwiches throughout the day(with cheese, bacon, chicken, and other calorie-rich stuff), and I get to my daily count of 1500 calories, will I lose the weight then? Since I stayed under the calorie count, I should lose the weight, but it is not healthy to eat sandwiches all day, right?

Or replace sandwiches with KFC, if that could make my case stronger ;)

Replies

• MrsDrk
    MrsDrk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Calories are not the only thing that cause weight gain, how are your carbs, sugars, sodium level, etc?
  • JuroNemo14
    JuroNemo14 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    According to MFP, my usual daily carb usage is about 150 g, and sugars more like 50/60 g(I eat a lot of fruit).

None of the stuff I eat tend to show the amount of sodium, and I don't really use salt(hate the taste).
    Besides that, my fat level is never over the daily limit.

This was more of a "what-if" question, but thanks for answering!
  • hannahjaques
    hannahjaques Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I think that to a certain stage, you would lose the weight. But, when reaching the 'final stages', you'd probably plateau because of the fat, salt, sugar and carbs content etc.

Don't see why the weight wouldn't come off to start with though. Might just be a slower process?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You may lose the weight depending on how much you have to lose... that is why there is a twinkie diet or cookie diet. You may be starving all day as the food won't keep you full long. Also, if you exercise, you won't be as effective. And depending on protein levels and exercise routine, you might increase the chances of your body catabolizing lbm.

BTW, if you are an active 18 yr old male, I would really hope you eat more calories than that. You want to cut fat, not muscle if you want a lean body.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    It is a simple question, with a simple answer "yes". If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    It is a simple question, with a simple answer "yes". If you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight.

This.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    One day won't have an impact. If you persist, you will eventually become nutritionally starved and will not be able to maintain the caloric restriction because the body will push you to eat more, since you are not getting nutrients you need. You can try a handful of pills and KFC, but won't you rather have your bacon, roast chicken or steak or salmon and a huge bowl of salad?
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In theory, yes, in practice, no. Because your body would be so screwy with health that it starts adjusting itself.
    If you're completely unhealthy, the calories you need to consume to lose weight will alter.
  • rnjive
    rnjive Posts: 17
    Options
    Yes because studies have shown over and over again it doesn't matter what you eat, it is based on calories in vs calories out. There was a guy who went on an 1800 day diet and he at ding dongs and chips, pop and he lost same amount of weight as those who hate balance diet. Now he might not have been getting all the nutrient required in a day but heck that's what vitamins are for right/:happy:
  • WhyLime113
    WhyLime113 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Yes because studies have shown over and over again it doesn't matter what you eat, it is based on calories in vs calories out. There was a guy who went on an 1800 day diet and he at ding dongs and chips, pop and he lost same amount of weight as those who hate balance diet. Now he might not have been getting all the nutrient required in a day but heck that's what vitamins are for right/:happy:

Mind posting links to these studies? Because I keep hearing this repeated on this board, but I have never seen such a study myself, and as someone who's interested in biology, I have a hard time believing it, but if it's true then I'll have to see about this.
    Vitamin's cannot supplement the entirety of a proper meal, though. They're meant to help, not to take over.