Has this site really helped you?

Options
I joined this site mainly because losing weight alone is never fun D: it's actually quite depressing lol. Being the only one counting calories in all your friends gets kinda embarrassing. So, I was hoping this community would help keep me motivated (: Has it really helped you with your weight loss goals? Why didn't you reach your weight loss goals before?

Replies

• flatblade
    flatblade Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    The site has helped. The most help, to me, is logging the food and getting an accurate calorie count. I mostly read the message boards for entertainment from like-minded people.
  • yesiam07
    Options
    I like this site because it helps you to see what really is going into your body and how much you are consuming. Of course just like everything you do its not an instant weight loss you have to put in the work to see the result but the people here hold you accountable and help support and motivate you through anything feel free to add me if you would like
  • heyshell79
    heyshell79 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    It has REALLY helped me. The connections are great, and to me the most helpful thing it has done is to help me see what I'm truly eating. I had tried to keep track before but the fact that it's all calculated for me is crucial. Try it out! I think it's great: 6lbs lost.
  • spragukr
    spragukr Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    It helped a lot! Before this site I didn't know how many calories I was supposed to be eating or how many were in the foods I was eating, or the proper portions for a lot of foods! It has taught me so much! It is SO helpful if you have the personality type that lets you log consistently. I've had several friends try it out only to end up quitting because they don't like logging everything they eat or having to remember to add things in, etc. So I think it depends on the person.
  • jmsjones2009
    Options
    It has helped me because logging in everything you eat and seeing it in black and white makes you very aware of what you're eating. There are so many helpful tools and reports to use. My doctor recommended it to me, I just had a baby and was wanting to shed the baby weight.....and then some :)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Has MFP helped? Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Yes!!!!! a thousand times yes.

Your Avatar says that you joined in 2008. Your profile only lists 1 friend. 4 years and only 1 friend? or is there something messed up with that date?
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    It has helped me make smarter eating choices. I know what to eat that will give me the most food for my calories. I could eat what I wanted when I was 25 and not gain an ounce. Now that I'm almost 40, it's not so easy anymore.
  • Jason_Patrick
    Options
    I've only recently started using it...more for the food diary component than anything else. For me, writing down every little thing I eat seems to help me not kill a whole bag of potato chips. I think this site can work in many different ways for many different people.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Has helped A LOT! I've always known logging food is a key sucess to sustained weight loss -- but I hated guessing my calories (obviously I underestimated!). This site and the forums has taught me a lot! when I need motivation, advice, anything - my friends and forums are always there! MFP was the turning point in my 15 year struggle to loose weight!
  • ssalmfp
    ssalmfp Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I apparently had no concept of portion size until I joined mfp. I think the most important thing for me was learning that I don't need to eat as much as I was eating to feel full. I don't need to be stuffed at the end of every meal. At the end of my meals, yeah I COULD eat more, but I don't need to.
  • SweetMe1
    SweetMe1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes! It helps me hold myself accountable for the choices I make!
  • joann1948
    joann1948 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    This website has helped me tremendously. The logging in, staying motivated, and good friends to help. I have lost 85 lbs and have 28 to go. I could of never done it without this site......Joann:drinker:
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    You get out of it what you put into it.

Last year, I was trying to shed the 20 pounds I had put on over the year. I was getting no where. I was going to the gym and trying to eat better, but I was not logging.

I have been logging since March, and I am now down 22 pounds with hopes of another at least 10. Yes it has taken me 7 months, but I am going slow and steady, lifestyle change.

Try it out, but it is a tool. Don't just rely on it to do the work for you. However, out of the tools I have used, this has been the most beneficial.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    This site has been both useful (in terms of helping track calories) and inspirational (check out the success stories). I got serious about this in January, lost all 25 pounds I wanted gone by April, and have been in maintenance mode and holding steady ever since. Along the way, I have met some very cool people as well.
    Good luck in your weight loss journey :)
  • Nouran
    Nouran Posts: 6
    Options
    I joined forever ago and then like never logged on again lol. This time I plan on sticking around though (:
  • TDub83
    TDub83 Posts: 21
    Options
    I lost a lot of weight before I got on this site, but I think it really does help. Keeps you accountable in so many ways. I recommend it to everybody I know wanting to better themselves.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Well, I lost @ 60 lbs. and 6 inches off my waist. I can out bike, outwalk, and outrun people 10 yrs younger than me. I can press my own weight for the first time in my life at 65. The weight has stayed off for over a year. My cholesterol numbers are good. my blood pressure is great. Back pains and acid reflux are gone.
    Yes.
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Has it really helped you with your weight loss goals? Why didn't you reach your weight loss goals before?

It didn't work for me because I didn't think that I even needed to lose weight until my Dr told me differently at my last visit. He told me about this site, I checked it out and really started to like it and get involved. I met people whose loss was much higher than mine and saw their determination and positiveness and that was it for me. I wanted to do and help others as well.

If you have a good group of people on the same path to health and fitness, it no longer seems like a diet :grumble: , it becomes a DO IT! :bigsmile:
  • DivaMoe40
    DivaMoe40 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I joined forever ago and then like never logged on again lol. This time I plan on sticking around though (:

YOU CAN DO IT!
  • cashcw
    cashcw Posts: 4
    Options
    Yes it quickly and easily helps me keep track of calories. It also lets me see if I'm getting enough iron protein and the other good stuff in my diet.