Freezing Food

Options
I just started freezing excess items that i can not use right away such as egg whites i baught from Costco.

What other things do you freeze then use? I think this will be a big help to me!

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I cook lots of lean protein and freeze it in zip lock bags that can be taken out and thawed when I need them.
  • lhergenr
    lhergenr Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I peel bananas, cut them in half, then freeze them. Just put them in a freezer bag and they'll be fine. This works great for me since I mainly use bananas in my protein shakes and I never have to throw over ripe ones out anymore.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Chicken pot pie filling. I make a double batch. Cook and serve one then freeze the other.

Anything I can make a double recipe of such as crockpot stuff.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I just started freezing excess items that i can not use right away such as egg whites i baught from Costco.

What other things do you freeze then use? I think this will be a big help to me!

I had no idea you could freeze egg whites...thanks for the tip!
  • IbiH
    IbiH Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I peel bananas, cut them in half, then freeze them. Just put them in a freezer bag and they'll be fine. This works great for me since I mainly use bananas in my protein shakes and I never have to throw over ripe ones out anymore.

Throw rippened bananas...... never. I use them in baking, a substitute for margerine.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    For about half of my meals, I cook in bulk and put the extras in the freezer!! (Check out onceamonthmom.com -- they design meal plans for a whole month at a time using meals that are all freezer-friendly)

I freeze soups (French Onion soup freezes really well and can double as a cooking base when making French Dip sandwiches), southwestern egg rolls (baked, not fried)
    Skinnytaste's Easy Garlic Cheddar Biscuits (which taste just like Red Lobster's)
    chili
    The list goes on and on!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    A lot of stuff can be frozen that we don't usually "think" can be frozen, but if Michelinas et al can package pasta and freeze it for 6-12 months with no ill effects I can certainly freeze lasagna, goulash, mac and cheese etc for about a month and not have it effecting the texture etc.

Cook up a big batch of pancakes, they freeze great as "aunt jemima or Eggo's would agree" just separate them with wax / parchment paper or freeze them first in a single layer on a cookie sheet so they don't "stick together"

Soups / stews freeze great, we will buy a club pack of chicken cook it usually without spices and freeze them again individually by the time lunch comes around they're usually thawed enough to use with minimal reheating depending on what they're going with.
  • IbiH
    Options

Throw rippened bananas...... never. I use them in baking, a substitute for margerine.
  • IbiH
    Options

• TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Pretty much anything can be frozen bar complete eggs (though the whites and yolks can be frozen separately).
    Most veg have to be blanched first and potatoes have to be completely cooked.
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    Yesterday I cooked my meals for the rest of week (excluding breakfast) and put most of it in the freezer. Apparently a lot of people do this so I think most things can be frozen.
  • Chopshopcop
    Chopshopcop Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Take a look in the freezer case next time you grocery shop. Pretty much anything you see in there, you can make at home and freeze.

I've got a chest freezer, the full length side with the frig and the top of another frig stocked with soups, meats, veggies, pastas, fish, rice, breads, beans...you name it, I probably got it. Some is pre-packaged (meats mostly) but over 1/2 is stuff I've cooked and frozen. I also have about 4 cases of bottled water frozen and distributed among the freezers. They will help keep things longer in the event of a power outage.
  • CherylO75
    Options
    i bought a food saver vacuum and sealer this summer and it is AWESOME! i freeze SOO many things. I buy a big bag of carrots and a few things of celery each week. i clean and cut these up and each day my DH gets them in his lunch. i then cut the celery into chunks and freeze for dinner. i cut the thick ends of the carrots into coins and freeze them, they are my teen sons fav veggies, steamed. i buy blue berries when they are on sale and freeze them to put on yogurts, i freeze half the can of soups, beans, broths, you name it. The food saver has a jar attachment and i use that to freeze soups and chili for the DHs lunches as well.
    if it is left over, i almost ALWAYS freeze it. even a little bit of pasta, it gets frozen, microwaved with some butter for the teen when we have something he doesnt like. AND i just started freezing potatoes for the hubby!!! barely blanched, separated into individual packages and a 5 pound bag lasts forever!!!