Recipe Request: Hummus

Options
mommyshortlegs
mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
(The less tahini involved the better, considering it can be hard to come by and isn't necessarily affordable.)

Replies

• LadyBuell
    LadyBuell Posts: 164
    Options
    I recently ran into a WW pumpkin hummus recipe. Has 2 tbsp tahini. I may make if for our Halloween pumpkin cook-off if we have one this year. I'm not much into hummus but I work with lots of people that are.
    http://ww-recipes.net/2008/11/weight-watchers-pumpkin-hummus-recipe-2-points/
  • lesliefb
    lesliefb Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I don't use any tahini in my hummus. It's just one of those ingredients that I don't use for anything else and it goes rancid before I get a chance to use it up.

So my hummus is 1 can garbanzo beans, a drizzle of olive oil (up to 1/4 cup), clove of garlic, juice of 1 lemon and cumin (optional). You can also add a tiny bit of red pepper flakes if you like it spicy. If it's too thick, you can add a small amount of water to smooth it out. All the ingredients are relatively cheap, so try your own variations and see what you like best.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I use a Vita-Mix and this is my recipe:

1 can Garbanzo beans
    2 tbsp sesame seeds
    1 clove garlic (or to taste)
    juice of half a lemon
    1/4 tsp salt
    dash of pepper
    about 1/4 cup olive oil

Add all ingredients in order. Blend on HIGH about a 45 seconds. Taste. Adjust seasonings and add oil if necessary to reach desired consistency (or, you can blend in more oil when serving if desired.) Makes about 1-1.5 cups
  • Valm0n
    Valm0n Posts: 88
    Options
    I made hummus yesterday :P
    Here's my recipe:

-1 can Chickpeas
    -4 tbsp olive oil
    -6 tbsp water
    -2 tsp lemon juice
    -1,5 tsp Chili Pepper powder
    - salt

First I put peas and water in the bowl and blend for about 30 sec. then I add the oil and lemon juice and mix with a fork. Then I add the spices.

The whole bowl is about 480kcal and enough for 2 meals (with some meat & veggies)
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    Thank you, everyone! :) For my first-ever hummus batch I ended up with this combination of ingredients:

1 can chickpeas (439g), drained
    1 T. ea. minced garlic and extra-virgin olive oil
    1/4 tsp. ea. salt and ground cumin (Thanks, lesliefb; I love the bit of kick!)
    1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
    45g orange bell pepper (what I hand on hand)
    1/4 c. + 2 T. water

= 1.5 c., or 3) 1/2 c. servings at 189 cal./serving

I think I could reduce the olive oil further -- like lemon juice (which I omitted entirely), I am sensitive to the taste in certain amounts. Ideally I would also double the bell pepper (and in that case, probably omit the 2 T. water), to help stretch the end product.

Never was 50g baby carrots and 15g celery stuffed down so easily! Thanks to you folks, I may have found my new hobby: hummus-eating...er, -making. ;)
  • girlnamedlee
    girlnamedlee Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My recipe really isn't any different except that I roast my red bell peppers & garlic. It adds a wonderful flavor & the oil that's used for that process is plenty for the whole recipe. Also, I find that if you heat the garbanzo beans for a few minutes before adding them, it's smoother, less gritty texture.

I love hummus & it's so easy to get creative with it without adding a lot of calories. If you're feeling really experimental you can make egg free cookie dough dips with the same technique (check chocolatecoveredkatie.com).
  • mommyshortlegs
    Options
    Great tips, girlnamedlee! I am a fan of Chocolate-Covered Katie, as well. :)