Disneyland on a diet?

Options
I am going to Disneyland next week, and I don't want to blow my healthier eating habits. Obviously I'll be doing a lot of walking, which will help, but I want to make as many healthy eating choices as I can.
I figure it's a good idea to think of things ahead of time, so that when I'm hungry and need to choose something, I've got something to work with and am not just grabbing the first thing that looks good.

So, I know they've got lots of stands around with fresh fruits, which is good for snacks. And the River Belle Terrace restaurant has a really good fruit plate. And those chicken skewers at the Bengal barbecue place over by the Jungle Cruise aren't that bad.
I can get a hamburger and not eat the bun.

Does anyone have recent Disney experience they can share, on where to get things that are healthier and not as calorie-laden? Thanks!

Replies

• MelissaE1214
    MelissaE1214 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just recently went to disney world. i thought i was going to have a hard time staying on track, but in fact - there are alot of options. There are the fruit/veg stands. Also, i found a few quick serves that sold fish. just dont settle ..... find what you are looking for.
  • LeidaPrimal
    LeidaPrimal Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yeah, we got a hotel with a microwave & fridge, and I made a run to the grocery store every few days. I fed three from my gro runs. No problems, and helped me occupy the mornings before the DL opened.
  • ilanawithani
    Options
    Definitely try to eat breakfast (and lunch) on your own. If you go to the grocery store you will also be saving tons of money! and for dinner just get what you want within reason. but most importantly Enjoy your vacation!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    They have a list of all the restaurants that serve healthy selections. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/list/#/healthy-selections
    (Menus are posted on the right hand side, once you click on the restaurant.)
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to eat too little while doing Disney. They say that the average person walks 16 miles per day while at a Disney park so make sure you're eating enough to get through the day without making yourself so hungry that you end up making bad choices on the go. Otherwise, just enjoy your trip! Disney is magical and has so many great food options that you shouldn't deny yourself - just choose wisely.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I go to Disneyland two-three times a year and I've tried to do it the healthier way and it sucks. Not because I don't like the food or it's not available, but because it's Disneyland. It's the Happiest Place on Earth and they have some really amazing food to be enjoyed there.

So I stopped worrying too much about what I was eating and just enjoyed myself. The most I do is limit my between meal snacking. But a typical Disney day for me starts with a Mickey Waffle w/fruit and bacon (butter and syrup on the waffle), nebraska corn chowder and the chicken sandwich w/fries from Storyteller's Cafe (two slices of texas toast garlic bread, about four slices of cheese, beefsteak tomatoes, giant seasoned chicken breast, and caramelized onions) - oh and they serve hot cornbread and loaves of white bread to start. Then dinner at any number of places around the park, Rancho del Zocalo, Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, French Market, etc.

And somewhere in there, a churro. It hasn't hindered my overall weightloss journey and it sure makes Disneyland a lot more when you don't have to worry about what you're eating and if the place you choose to go has healthy options or not. :D
  • ipag
    ipag Posts: 137
    Options
    http://allears.net/dlr/din/menu/menus.htm

Here are all the menu's at Disneyland because grocery shopping is not fun for me to do on vacation. If you are going on vacation, I'd just have fun and pick up any dieting you are doing after you get back, unless you have specific dietary restrictions you are trying to follow. I'm an annual passholder, and I follow this advice even when I was going once a week.
  • knittermom07
    knittermom07 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I was sick as a dog from going to Disney and eating the food. I found it very hard to get healthy options but we were also on the dinning plan so that made it rather difficult as most items available to me were all of the fried, greasy, or disgusting variety. If I have anything to say about it, I would never return! Not worth being sick the entire trip. I hope you have better luck than I did.
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    I was sick as a dog from going to Disney and eating the food. I found it very hard to get healthy options but we were also on the dinning plan so that made it rather difficult as most items available to me were all of the fried, greasy, or disgusting variety. If I have anything to say about it, I would never return! Not worth being sick the entire trip. I hope you have better luck than I did.

Hmmm...your usage of the term "dining plan" makes me think you were at Disney World. And that plan also takes you to all of the cheapest places to get your food.

At Disneyland there some cheaper places with your standard "theme park" fare, but when you know where to look and what you get, Disneyland food is amazing. My husband and I have actually converted people from Disneyland haters to Disneyland lovers just by showing them the food options available when you know where to look. :)
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I was just in Disney World a few weeks ago - and there are definitely a lot of healthy options in both Disneys. Go on their website and check out the restaurant menus before deciding where to eat - that will definitely help a lot. Also see what the hotel offers - my hotel had an omelette to order station - it was expensive but worth it. The parks generally have lots of fruit stands! Make sure you drink plenty of water too because you will do a lot of walking! I was more exhausted every day after walking around the parks and my legs more sore than when I ran a half marathon!
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    You can't go to Disneyland, or live your life, on a diet.

Understand you need a lifestyle change in order to get and stay fit. Once you live your new lifestyle, it goes with you everywhere.

People on "diets" do lots of them, but never seem to make the connection.

good luck.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I just got back from 6 days in Disneyworld last week. I actually lost 2 lbs. 6 miles of walking on concrete and an hour in the pool, every day, you can lose without even trying. I didn't count a thing, didn't log anything, drank a bunch of beer, STILL..I lost 2 lbs. It's totally possible.
  • runannek
    runannek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We are headed to Disney World in 2 weeks. I have been stocking up on Costco bulk foods and will be bagging up single servings of healthy snacks for both myself, husband, and 2 boys. Also bringing Gatorade while though it does have extra sugar, we will need to keep up the electrolytes while we sweat them away. But I'm also thinking that no, I won't be able to keep track of everything I eat and heck, this is vacation and I'm going to enjoy myself. So if I screw up and eat a little less strict, my walking will be helping burn the calories and again, I'm going to enjoy myself. Just making some wise choices during the day and then splurge a little once a day.
  • wolfchild59
    Options
    Oh, a hint on the water consumption at Disneyland - bring a refillable bottle to carry with you all day. Then refill for free in multiple spots, the best being:

1. Any counter service restaurant that has a soda machine - just use the little water spout, it's really cold from there. (examples, Rancho del Zocalo and Redd Rocket's Pizza Port)
    2. The first aid station on Main Street, usually colder than the fountains in the park and they have cups there that you can use to top off the bottle if the angle you have to hold it under the dispenser doesn't allow
    3. The little walk-up window behind the French Market has a water spout that you can fill up at
    4. There is also a water spout near Tomorrowland Terrace, to the left of the windows
    5. At any sitdown restaurant just ask your waiter to refill your bottle, they will happily do it for you and it's usually with cold water
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Been to Disneyland lot's of times, just bring your own food your allowed to carry a backpack ect..
  • proudcanuck
    Options
    Disney Dining can definately assist you with this. If you call them (714-781-3463) they can provide info on their menu's, and if you make a reservation at one of their premuim restaurants, the helpful CM's can sometimes ask the chef to prepare a special dish for you. (As per Vegetarian Disneyland Mobile Kindle Edition - MouseWait)
    For snacks, the Bengal BBQ has some great choices. The Hungry Bear Restaurant has a great Fried Green Tomato Sandwich, and you can also get sweet potato fries with it. The Plaza Inn has salads, including an amazing Cobb Salad. on the DCA side, you can get Corn on the Cob @ Don Toma's stand near the California Screami'n ride. At the Fairfax market near the Alladin Theatre, you can get lots of fruit and vegetables there. There are also many great restaurants at the Disneyland Hotel and Grand Californian. What I would suggest is going to Mousewait.com and ask the many Disney fans in the lounge what they would recommend. They are very knowledgeable, and would gladly help you with their recommendations. Cheers, and have a great trip!
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    In January 2009 I went to Dizzyland & California Adventures.. So inside of the California Adventures there was this food court area. And at that food court they actually had a "Shrimp Louie" salad that was verrrrry good. And another cool thing there. I was in the area of that haunted hotel, and the little food area there had these different kind of hot dog... check this out ... with a option for a vegetarian hot dog... It was actually a portabello dog. No meat. And man was that good. One more thing I had while I was there.. A really good caramel apple. : )

Have fun!!! And you must go on this ride for sure.... GO ON THE SOARING OVER CALIFORNIA RIDE... I promise you will want to get back in line again immediately. It was sooo cool. Definately my favorite ride ever. As you smell the oranges, think of me.. Have fun.
  • aimeeinohio
    aimeeinohio Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    We went to Disney World in August, on the dining plan. I did just fine...

Now, I was ON VACATION so I didn't stress- except I have IBS and always have to be mindful of what I eat unless I want to be ****ting the day away, in pain.

We ate at the Coral Reef- seafood...mine wasnt fried, and I didn't eat all of the sauce. My tummy was fine.

Shutters- the appetizer we had was shredded pork lettuce wraps and FANTASTIC!!!! Tummy was fine. It's low fat, had a wonderful fresh veggie slaw with it.

O'Hana- the food was AWESOME, cooked over open fire....tummy would've been fine had I not eaten way to damn much. Ah, I couldn't stop myself.

I had the giant turkey leg and took an Imodium before I ate it just to be safe.

Had the Mickey head waffle twice for breakfast and was fine.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    California Adventure Park has healthier options. I am a Disney addict and had season passes when we lived in California. I eat only fish and am gluten free and clean food. Disney is getting way better at accommodating people with allergies. It is not impossible to find. I like the Rain Forest Cafe in Downtown Disney. There are other choices there too. The Critter buffet is wonderful at the Grand Californian hotel and Ariel's grotto is much better than it used to be if you and your kids want to have dinner with princesses. Goffy's kitchen is also fun if you want to have food with the characters and at the buffets you can choose healthy options. Disney used to be just awful for healthy food options but it has gotten a lot better. They also accommodate you if you have special preferences. I hope that helps. I am a clean food eater and was just there this past Summer. It was the easiest time I had finding food for myself. There is a Target nearby and at Target they serve fresh food which is really cheap like fruits and veggies. They also have big things of nuts you can take on the road with you. Disney allows you to take your own food in. We ate breakfast bought milk and cereal for the kids and packed lunch and had dinner at a restaurant or a cheap Mexican place in the area. Dennys is also an easy place to get something healthy or cocos. There are lots of good options if you look around. It is very expensive but you can do it on a budget if you do it the way we did it. Most importantly have a ton of fun!!!
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    We went for 4 days and the only thing we bought inside the park was ice cream a couple of times. The rest of it we ate breakfast before we went into the park. We packed our lunch and snacks, and then ate dinner in the room. We ate out one night. It is possible with a little thought and preparation to eat pretty healthily by packing your food.