Oatmeal....gross but healthy

Options
Hello...Ok, so I am 'supposed' to eat one packet of plain oatmeal a day (w/a little stevia and salt). The taste isnt the issue...its the texture. I have to choke it down I hate it so much. Slimey and gross. It is great for my body though; really keeps my blood sugars and hormones stable.

I just wish there were an alternative that had the great effects of oatmeal, but didnt feel like slime in my mouth. Any thoughts for just-as-healthy alternatives? I have considered healthy cereal bars as a maybe...

Replies

• pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Cream of wheat?
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Try oat bran. It has a more diverse macro profile as well. I just soak it overnight in milk.
  • hellohappylisa
    hellohappylisa Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Use less water! When they're not fully soft it's totally edible, trust me. ;)
  • Forensic
    Forensic Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Use less water or cook it less. If you cook it too long it goes rubbery and such, less and it's more soupy, but not disgusting....
  • moreORless50
    moreORless50 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    have you tried rough oatmeal cakes great topped with either a bit of low sugar jam or maybe a little dollop of peanutbutter
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I use oatmeal and add in 1 tbs of peanut butter for extra protein and it changes the consistency a bit (especially if you use crunchy). Worth a shot?
  • GCLyds
    GCLyds Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    If you have the time, make steel cut oats. It has nutty chewy texture. Its more filling and lower on the GI. You can make a big batch and then zap a serving as you need it. It should keep in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or you can freeze individual portions and do it that way.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    So don't eat it. There is no "supposed to eat a packet of instant oatmeal" legitimate dietary recommendation. There are a million other healthy sources of nutrition that you could consume instead. If you are unaware of what the basic guidelines of healthy food are, then I would suggest doing a little research there.

Stop eating something that you hate. I never recommend instant oatmeal to my clients as a healthy breakfast option. Who told you you are "supposed" to eat that every day anyway?
  • Caroline244
    Caroline244 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I got this "Apples and Cinnamon Quinoa" recipe today in my email and it looks delicious! While I'm not sure this has what you're looking for, quinoa isn't slimy at all and packs lots of protein for a grain:

Apples and Cinnamon Breakfast Quinoa
    Skinnytaste.com
    Servings: 4 • Serving Size: 1 bowl (1/4 of recipe) • Old Points: 6 pts • Points+: 8 pts
    Calories: 316 • Fat: 8 g • Carbs: 53 g • Fiber: 6 g • Protein: 9 g • Sugar: 20 g
    Sodium: 35 mg

Ingredients:

1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed well
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 tsp cinnamon + more for sprinkling
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1/4 cup golden raisins
    1 cup warmed fat-free milk for drizzling (non-dairy milk is fine)
    1 gala apple, peeled and diced
    1/4 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:

Combine quinoa, water, cinnamon and vanilla in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and let cook for 15 minutes until quinoa can be fluffed with a fork. Divide cooked quinoa between four bowls then stir in apple sauce, raisins, and pour in warmed milk. Top with fresh cut apples and pecans and a dash of cinnamon.

Source and Pictures: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/10/apples-and-cinnamon-breakfast-quinoa.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed:+weightwatcherspointsrecipes+(Gina's+Skinny+Recipes)
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I will never eat this stuff! like you I cant handle the texture, plus isnt it mosly carbs? eat fruit!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I used to absolutely HATE oatmeal also. For me, it was not the taste but the slimy gooey texture. But then I saw a suggestion somewhere that involved not cooking it, and it is much better! I use steel cut oats, and soak them in the fridge with almond milk overnight. Then I take them out the next morning and add a little fruit, and I love it! It has a much better texture that the cooked stuff. You can also do the overnight soak thing with traditional oatmeal. There are other things that you can eat for breakfast that are good for you too, but this might be worth trying. I eat oatmeal almost every morning now. It is very good for you, and CHEAP!
  • VegeLover
    VegeLover Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try old fashioned oats, cooked with less water (eg, 3 cups oats to 4 cups water). The texture is much more like rice. For added sweetness, add raisins while cooking the oatmeal. They're softer. We make a big batch and reheat as needed.
  • Starla_86
    Options
    I find that the 'large flakes' oatmeal is way better textually as compared to the quick oats kind. I think it is essential to add some fruit to it like banana...banana is so perfect. I don't think I could eat it plain now after having it that way....Mmmm it's my favourite meal of the day!
  • slogerot
    Options
    Try overnight oats. They get soft but have a much better texture. This recipe is a great one: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/09/skinny-pumpkin-overnight-oats-in-jar.html
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I will never eat this stuff! like you I cant handle the texture, plus isnt it mosly carbs? eat fruit!

They are both mosly carbs as far as I can see. The carbs in oatmeal burn slow and don't spike your blood sugar.(asuming you're not putting too much sweet stuff in)
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Use more water and blend it. or if your frisky use milk and chocolate (if it fits your macros)
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    never waste calories on something you hate, just because you are "supposed" to have it. I assume you are following a pre-made diet plan and that is why you aren't picking your own breakfast? IF that's the case ask for a substitute you do like or come up with your own. The suggestions above are good. I much prefer real oatmeal to the instant kind. Just takes a couple minutes longer. I also like the instant kind soaked in yogurt overnight and layered with fruit as a kind of parfait.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I'd just as soon not eat it. I can't gag it down.
  • promessongod02
    Options
    u can try to add nuts, raisins, dried fruit, milk, bananas, strawberries, blueberries
    bagels, etc
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I hate the texture too. That's why I eat it raw (instant, fruit flavored kind). My SO thinks I'm nuts. I eat it right out of the pouch like a horse.