Dumping diet soda

Options
I am currently on the road of no soda, I am on day 6, and I feel so much better!!! I have switched to tea, green tea and water only! has anyone felt better after they stopped drinking soda, mainly diet soda? I have a feeling its what screws up my diet (well and if I dont eat breakfast)

Replies

• evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    One of the best changes you could make. You won't regret it!
  • syndywindy
    Options
    Before I started losing weight I was pounding the diet soda down, I was drinking it morning noon and night. It was difficult at first giving it up(which I did cold turkey) but now I don't miss it at all. In the last 4 months I've maybe had a total of 2 cans and had no desire to have more. I don't know if I can say I feel better by not drinking it, but I certainly don't miss it. I drink only water with lemon or sparkling water now.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    To each their own, do whatever works for you! Personally I still drink 2-4 diet sodas a day & never eat breakfast. Neither have hindered my weight loss/maintenance/bulk.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I cant believe I once thought diet soda was ok! I havent had one in years!
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I had to give up diet soda when I had lap band surgery in August. Since I'm not having the carbonation any longer, my feet and ankles no longer swell up at all.

It's been 10 weeks since I had a diet soda. I took a sip of my husband's the other night and it tasted awful.

It was the best thing I've ever done for my health. I never drank any water before - only soda. I drank 6-8 cans a day easily.
  • lilsis10
    lilsis10 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    It's been 20 years since I've had a real caffeinated soda. Had to cut it out caffein for medical reasons. It's been 5 years since I gave up all carbonated drinks. Got tired of the bloat. I feel better but I wish I could still drink them. I still miss the fizz, but it's not worth the pain.
  • Kaiukas
    Kaiukas Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been a serious Diet Coke addict for years. Not that I drank a lot, but I had to have 2 cans a day.

Today is my second day of going cold turkey. I cannot say that I feel any better yet. And I do miss the fizzzzzz...:blushing:
  • jayres67
    jayres67 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I gave up sodas about two months ago.... The first week was really tough. I actually had dreams about eating cake. I'm guessing it was from the sugar withdrawals. Lol...

I don't regret it at all. I feel great now. Goodluck
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I barely drink soda now of days. Maybe 1 a week if I'm out for lunch. I don't drink coffee or anything caffeinated so it was quiet easy. Now my friend though is another story he's fixed on caffeine.
  • charelg
    charelg Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I switched from regular soda to coke zero this year. I only have like one soda a day, somedays none. But, I don't think I could give up the fizzy goodness :D. But of course, water is much better for ya.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    yep, stopped drinking it in june or july

i drink a lot of coffee and tea and water, with the occasional beer or mixed drink if I'm out

I haven't noticed any difference, but I can only imagine it's a good choice
  • kylebusch
    Options
    I have gone from periods of being addicted to caffine (migrane headaches if I didn't have enough) to quitting for periods up to 6 months. The problem for me is that I get bored with water after a while and want something else with some flavor to drink. With that being said it is hard to switch to a juice as they contain calories (would rather eat them!) and I switch back to diet soda figuring it can't hurt.

I know I can put stuff in it to flavor water but it feels like the same thing going down. I never thought of it as "missing the fizz" but maybe that is it. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive past a gas station and stop at the next as I could get a 52oz drink instead of a 44oz lol.
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    For those who have given up diet pop, what do you do for caffeine in the mornings..? I drink Diet Dr Pepper - - one in the morning and one around 3pm at work.......and i've tried to quit before, but then i'll have a night of not sleeping well, and need to be AWAKE in the morning for work.....not sure what to do (and please don't say exercise in the morning to wake yourself up - - i can barely get dressed......) lol
  • natbeach
    Options
    Good luck. this is definately on the to do list in the future!
  • jzrharv
    jzrharv Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oddly enough, diet sodas are an integral part of overall consumption and it seems to work pretty good for me. Proof, pudding, all that stuff.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Excuse my ignorance but I don't follow. I never drank diet soda because I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners, but I always thought a diet soda was essentially an equivalent of a glass of water.

What am I missing?
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    For those who have given up diet pop, what do you do for caffeine in the mornings..? I drink Diet Dr Pepper - - one in the morning and one around 3pm at work.......and i've tried to quit before, but then i'll have a night of not sleeping well, and need to be AWAKE in the morning for work.....not sure what to do (and please don't say exercise in the morning to wake yourself up - - i can barely get dressed......) lol
    Again, referring to my previous post, what's the damage drinking Diet Dr Pepper or coffee? I drink coffee because that suites my taste but how is ANY calorie-less drink relevant to the quest of losing weight?
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I used to drink diet soda. Drinking diet soda had no negative effect on my weight loss and maintenance, and it was a good way to transition away from sugary drinks. Now I have transitioned away from diet soda, too.

I stopped drinking ALL carbonated drinks because I found that the carbonation irritates my digestive tract - my doctor suggested it and it worked. So I do miss the fizz, but I don't miss the bad side effects - nausea, bloating, etc. I don't drink caffeinated drinks either because they give me heart palpitations and stomach aches. I guess I'm a sensitive person...
  • Taimarra
    Options
    I stopped drinking diet soda on accident. I had no intention of quitting, I just kind of did it. I was going through a 12 pack every 2-4 days .. most days I had a soda cracked and in my hand before I even let the dog out in the morning. We moved to our new place which has a fridge with the built-in water dispenser and every now and then I'd see the water dispenser and go "Hey, water sounds pretty good right now." Then after a couple weeks it got to be more of a hassle trying to find somewhere for the 12 pack than it was worth, and I started only keeping 1 can in the fridge at a time, replacing as I drank it. When my boyfriend pointed out the same can had been in the fridge for like 4 days, I called it a sign and came back to MFP - August 5th. (That same can, by the way, was STILL in the fridge this last weekend when a friend came over and asked if she could have it. I said YES! Please, it's been driving me nuts!)

After I quit soda, I dropped my coffee intake from 4-6 cups a day to 1-2. I hardly have any caffeine these days and I have SO MUCH MORE energy than before!
  • buzzcockgirl
    buzzcockgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Me too! I was a soda junkie-- drank it (almost) every day for years and years (25+) !! regular, diet..whatever. I gave it up about 5 months ago and to my surprise, the migraines I've suffered from (for about 10 years) have all but disappeared! Only 2 in the last 5 months!! I think the aspartame in diet soda could have been causing it!! I always tried figuring it out - was it chocolate, certain smells, alcohol, my 'time of the month', never could pin point it. But I am really thinking it was the aspartame!!!

Welcome to the NO SODA club!! Water for me from here on out! And the occasional cocktail!! haha!