Afraid of cottage cheese...

Options
Lyra89
Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
Okay, so I eat healthy already, but I really would like to get into cottage cheese as I'm pescatarian & sometimes struggle with eating the same protein sources all the time (fish, yoghurt, protein shakes, nuts, seeds, eggs etc) plus I'm looking for something that is low in fat as well as high in protein for days when I go over in fat from avocado/eggs/salmon/almonds etc (good fats but still, don't want to keep seeing red there!)

Any good recipes or tips on how to make it taste good? I'd like to try it for dinner tomorrow so how could I prepare it or what could I pair it with? Should I get the plain, the low fat, the one with added pineapple...I'm just so lost lol I've always been terrified of it as the texture seems so strange! :laugh:

Replies

• Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You know, I had been scared of that my whole life. A couple months ago I was at my aunts in ND and she serves it with every dinner. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was!
  • Gremlinz
    Gremlinz Posts: 3,259 Member
    Options
    Just put green onions or chives in it, and grind some black pepper over it!
  • shelbiejo
    shelbiejo Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I just add salt and pepper or season salt to mine. It is good plain though too.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I usually buy the 1% kind (the no-fat tastes funny)- I like the large curds over the small ones as well.

I like to put Western dressing on mine - Yum!
  • french_press
    Options
    I was the same way until last year when I finally caved and tried it, and now I love it. I put fruit in mine sometimes, but mostly I just use salt & pepper. My favorite kind is Fiber One, low fat, high protein, and fiber all in one :)
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I love the cottage cheese doubles with peaches
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    It's interesting to see savory recipes for cottage cheese, as I always eat it with something sweet (strawberries or blueberries).

I tried it for the first time earlier this year, thought to myself, "This is what dieters eat!" and it's really grown on me.
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    http://www.hannaford.com/product/Breakstones-100-Calorie-Cottage-Doubles-Pineapple/850650.uts#

Not the website so much, but a picture. I hate cottage cheese usually, but I loooove these. They have a few different kinds, or I'm sure you can make your own fruit sauces from fresh fruit. Love them.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is commonly used as a substitute for ricotta in lasagna, so try it in a baked pasta dish maybe? You could blend it to a smooth texture and eat it that way.

I prefer small curd, so if there's a large piece I smoosh it up.
  • wigglemish
    Options
    There's a few different things I like to do with it, for example cutting up pineapple chunks into it, stirring it into tomatoey pasta dishes, adding spring onions, salt and pepper to make a yummy jacket potato filling, or very finely chopped chilli if you want a spicey kick. I think the trick is to experiment with it, it's a very underated food :)
  • NuggetLovesEdie
    NuggetLovesEdie Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I use it as a lower fat substitute for ricotta cheese when I make lasagne.
  • gpoliver
    gpoliver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I love cottage cheese, but the curds can sometimes "gross people out". I will eat it several different ways. First try it with small curds, as it is a better consistency. I will eat mine either with salt and pepper, or paprika (that is my favorite). I will also put it on a bed of lettuce and slice some pears on top of it. I like to add my own pineapple to it as opposed to the ones already in them. Sometimes I will put pecans in mine.... and hmm i will also put some on top of thick sliced tomatoes with salt and pepper.....
  • Sassymama66_75HARD
    Sassymama66_75HARD Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I put a TBSP of light italian dressing and 6 (rinsed & chopped) green olives in a cup. YUMMY!
  • malystrasza
    Options
    I like to mix in a tablespoon of peanut butter for the extra protein. I use the natural peanut butter, so sometimes I add in a little honey or stevia if I'm craving it sweet.
  • birdieaz
    birdieaz Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it with fruit, but will eat it with black pepper and tabasco. As others have said it works great in lasagna, although I use half ricotta half cream cheese.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I LOOOVE me some cottage cheese on a veggie/black bean burger topped with salsa! So good! you can put cottage cheese on salads.... or put fruit with it.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    A brain wave told me to add a little home made jam to it. Just a spoon full adds a nice bit of sweetness to it and really made it yum!
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I like onions and peppers in my cottage cheese...sometimes with fruit as well
  • Pamelaniamh
    Pamelaniamh Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Blend some with eggs when making an omlette or a spoonfull in a shake is nice too :smile:
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    My favourite way of eating it has got to be as sort of prawn cocktail

Slightly heaped teaspoon of tomato puree, some cayenne and black pepper and a good handful of prawns. Packs a good protein punch!

I eat it as it is but its good on crackers or as a salad