Afraid of cottage cheese...

Options

Replies

• shierrarobin
    Options
    I eat it plain, but I can't eat the 2% or the fat free. I eat the 4%. If you are going to eat the low fat or the 4%, I suggest eating it with peaches or tomatoes. It's really good with peaches, though.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I don't care for it with fruit, but will eat it with black pepper and tabasco. As others have said it works great in lasagna, although I use half ricotta half cream cheese.

I never thought about having it with some Tabasco. I'm going to have to try that since I'm addicted to hot sauce haha
  • heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I want to try it too, but seem to not like the texture in the past.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many great ideas! Sooo weird that it tastes good with both sweet AND savoury, I'd usually never pair cheese with fruit/sweetness!

Cant wait to try it now. You guys are awesome :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I like mine with fruit, especially peaches. Honestly, though, whatever you like having with your yogurt is also generally cook with cottage cheese. The taste is fine, it's the texture that turns most people off. But if you can scarf down Greek Yogurt (especially plain) then you can eat cottage cheese. My grandma used to buy canteloupe and seed it. Then we'd stick cottage cheese in the middle and eat the whole half each! So good. A little bit of better is also good, especially with an acidic fruit or veggie.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I have much love for cottage cheese (4%, preferably large curd) and am perfectly content to eat it plain. However, I also enjoy it with black pepper or sunflower kernels. Some people like it with fruit.

If there is a food to be feared, it is custard...
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    smoked paprika!!!
  • agent99oz
    agent99oz Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Do you have a blender? Blend it till smooth, add 1 teaspoon of cocoa, 1 sweetner and some gelatin (melted) whip it up - makes a yummy dessert
    Also try low fat ricotta - this is really yummy :)
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    A brain wave told me to add a little home made jam to it. Just a spoon full adds a nice bit of sweetness to it and really made it yum!
    This is how my 4 yr old likes it :happy:

Me, I like it plain, with fruit, with a bit of protein powder, with tomatoes, with pepper...the variations are endless :bigsmile:
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I always add garlic powder and salt, then scoop it onto Melba Rounds. I am kind of a salt freak, some would say it is salty enough on its own...

You can also process/puree it with spices to make a dip for veggies.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I can't stomach it unless it's in a smoothie or protein pancakes :tongue:
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I like it with fresh black pepper and whole wheat crackers...
  • wannabthin65
    wannabthin65 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Its really good in a salad of your choice of lettuces or baby spinach, cottage cheese(i like 2% small curd) manderine orange, sliced almonds & lite italian dressing. I hated it before trying it this way but now i could eat it every day. Most of the time i eat it w/no sugar added sliced peaches(i cut them up in small pieces) packed in water. I luv it now!!
  • hippy2skippy
    hippy2skippy Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I eat mine with jalapeno slices too!
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I posted for some ideas for cottage cheese not too long ago and got some really good ideas. My favorite at the moment is cottage cheese with about a tablespoon of apple butter or pumpkin butter - mmmmmmm!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/744545-new-cottage-cheese-ideas
  • JackieT54
    Options
    i like it with some fresh pineapple!
  • hottiebikerchick
    hottiebikerchick Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    WATCH THE SODIUM LEVEL....it was part of my stall and plateau issue!!!!!!!!
  • Dr_Steve_Brule
    Options
    I'm afraid of puppets... buts thats either there or here

Enjoy
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I don't really like cottage cheese. I think I always expect it to be more like yogurt (read: sweet) and then it's just satly and weird. My boyfriend loves it though. I think he just adds some pepper and eats it plain. I've also heard of people adding pineapple? Not sure.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    If you're not a texture sensitive person, it doesn't taste half bad. But alas, for me it was the curds that I just... couldn't handle. :( And I really wanted to like it since it's so versatile and nutritious!