I think I am losing weight a little to fast.

Options
Hi. I started here at mfp about 11 days ago and have already lost 9 lbs. I began at 300 lbs and am now at 291. I am a former Marine with lots of nutrition classes under my belt. I let myself go about 2 years ago after I got out and want to get back down to about 198 so I can keep up with my little girl.

I manage to get above 1200 cal everyday, but sometimes don't quite get to my 1970 mark. I know that 2 lbs a week is healthy and I have been at a 5 lbs per week rate so far. Makes me feel like I am going through recruit training again losing this fast.

Mainly just looking for some support and motivation among the community here. hope you add me, and good luck with you endeavors as well.

Replies

• USMC1968
    USMC1968 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Semper Fi... Marine. I am by no means an expert, but the weigh will just fell off to begin with. And that will slow down. Been doing this for 7 weeks and I started at 294 and the first 7 lbs in a week then 5, then 2 per week but I get my full cal each day and still cheat some :) Good luck and friend me if you like
  • Shelleybean29
    Shelleybean29 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Could it just be water weight? Seems like during the first couple weeks of starting you lose more than after your body gets used to the new diet.
  • eldrith1399
    Options
    I doubt it's water weight. I only drink water and lots of it. I drink about 2 liters per day.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Losing water weight in the beginning of a new diet does not mean you aren't drinking a lot of water.. You are losing weight quickly right now because a high amount of the weight loss IS water. It will slow down and should level off to about 1-2 lbs per week after the first 4 weeks or so.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Losing water weight in the beginning of a new diet does not mean you aren't drinking a lot of water.. You are losing weight quickly right now because a high amount of the weight loss IS water. It will slow down and should level off to about 1-2 lbs per week after the first 4 weeks or so.
    ^^^
  • eldrith1399
    Options
    Thank you for the info and the relief that I am not losing to fast.
  • tbruegg
    tbruegg Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I'm so jealous (but happy for you) I wish I had that problem. I'm 59 and my metabolism is so sluggish......
  • SexyBoomer
    SexyBoomer Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, I think you are doing okay. the more you have to lose, the more you lose in the beginning.. If you feel okay, stick with it.. Oh, and men always much faster than women.. so keep it up!
  • missjennifer1966
    missjennifer1966 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who started at 369 and is now 147. He lost weight fast, too, but it is normal to lose it fast when you are heavier. Good luck!!
  • pickledplatypus
    Options
    Completely normal, especially for a big dude. If, in a month, you are still losing weight this quickly, then it might be problematic. Make sure you are getting enough protein; it will help you keep your lean body mass while getting rid of the fat.
  • itsjilly
    Options
    It might seem like it is to fast.

Try a sample day of what you used to eat, and see what the calories were. Every person adjusts differently!

When I started 7 weeks ago, that's what I did. I really had a better handle on what I WAS actually eating for calories, so the new calories, and the scale made much more sense to me

Good luck with the new you!
  • claire_90
    Options
    take it from a chronic yo-yo dieter... the weightloss will slow down. your body is going from lots of food and little movement to a complete turn around. so you lose a fair bit... once it settles and gets used to your new routeine you will steadily lose at a slower pace :)
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Generally if you have a lot of weight to lose it will come off a lot faster at the beginning expecially if you have made a big change to your diet and exercise regime. Enjoy the early success and use it as motivation to keep going strong. Your weight loss should slow down and eventually plateau at a healthy level if you are consuming the right amount of calories. Congrats and good luck :smile:
  • bay415
    bay415 Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I'm Bay. Just signed up. Add me if you'd like to be friends.
  • gissalm
    gissalm Posts: 41
    Options
    yeah at the beggining you will lose more, specially the first 3 weeks, it was the same to me, not just water but also you change so drastically what you eat ....

in my case I was eating almost 3000 or 4000 cals a day! no exercise, i went to a 1500 cal intake and the pounds started dropping like crazy, the change was big so the pounds will be also dropping like h3ll.... it will slow after tho, your body will start adjusting and it will start losing a bit slowly .. keep up the good work! :smile:
  • crazylesty07
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about losing a lot of weight the first couple/few weeks. Any doctor or dietician I've ever spoken to stated heavier people lose more weight during the first few weeks, basically because they have more to lose. Props to you for starting out strong on your journey! Just make sure you're eating enough or that metabolism of yours will slow right down when you least expect it. Congrats!!
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Your initial weight loss will be the easiest and the fastest, even faster if you have more to lose. It should level off eventually. Good luck and welcome.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    It's pretty normal for heavier weighted people to lose a lot during the first few weeks. I lost 10# the first week, 20# the first month. Sometimes I miss those days of fast weight loss.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I started in January at 322lbs and the first month lost about a pound per day but it slowed way down after that to about a pound or two per week.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    Starting out I lost 17 pounds in 18 days, now I haven't lost any weight in a week or more, so I think anybody big as us just drops alot when they start, but I also think my week is just bad luck or alot of muscle gain.