Swollen fingers during and after exercise

Options
My fingers always get swollen after exercising, usually when I run. Why does this happen?! It's really distracting. Does it have to do with my diet? Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• cmVT208
    cmVT208 Posts: 19
    Options
    That happens to me when I walk or jog. I figured it was because of an increase in blood flow. I recently came across this article. It gives a good explaination and tells you how you can prevent this from happening.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/211317-why-do-my-fingers-swell-when-i-run/
  • teemarania
    Options
    Thanks for the link!
  • Big_Daddy6
    Options
    I heard it meant good circulation and that it was a good thing.......but idk really.
  • hjay07
    hjay07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Probably nothing to worry about. Mine do it too- I always take my rings off before exercise. According to Livestrong.com, when you exercise, you increase blood flow and body temp, and your blood vessels dilate to cool you off. Especially if you sweat a lot, this is nothing to worry about.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    This happens to me as well when i walk with my arms down at my sides. It doesn't happen as much if I'm running with my arms up higher. It's just fluid pooling and is completely normal. Try raising your hands above your head for a few minutes and it should lessen.
  • chanixxx
    Options
    I wear gloves and keep my hands up higher, I got nuts when my hands swell *ick*:noway:
  • sh4690
    sh4690 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Circulation, usually going from hot too cold/cold too hot too fast :) x
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I think that this happens to a lot of people, I have it more during different times of the month and depending on what my diet is. If you are running for an extended period make sure to straighten your arms and open/close your fingers into a fist from time to time, I find that when I take these steps I get almost no swelling.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    It's normal.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen, and it happened even when I was young and thin and fit. Happens even more when it's hot. It's annoying as ****

Off to read the link posted above
  • bimbaz
    bimbaz Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that link...........explains it well!!! Glad to know it's normal!!
  • mjohnson1999
    mjohnson1999 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Happens to me too.. best way to walk and run is to raise your hands above your head and gently let them fall down into place and keep hands loose and open. It will help
  • LC_TX
    LC_TX Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to eat less salt. Idk.