Do you have a secret ingredient you use when cooking?

Options
67butterfly
67butterfly Posts: 76 Member
Just wondering if anyone would like to share your secret ingredient or tricks for recipes you may have. Here's mine... I add a cup or two of lelftover coffee to my seasoned beef roast that i'm going to cook in the crock pot all day. It makest the gravy so good and rich! That would be black coffee. No cream or sugar-:drinker: if you were wondering.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,129 Member
    Options
    Silly me. I add wine to mine. Shhhh. Secret.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Not so secret but I add garlic to almost everything.
  • sweetbippy
    sweetbippy Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I add a good, chunky salsa to everything from mac and cheese to spaghetti. It kicks up the flavor, adds some veggies, and is cheap. I also add cauliflower and flax to my mac and cheese. Yogurt and applesauce to any baked item. Fresh garlic and parsley in most anything is So good.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    My "trick" with bean salads and dishes is cumin...People always comment on how good my food tastes but they can't figure out the secret spice...haha

I also use wine A LOT in cooking or another type of alcohol.

The other trick is to always saute and season the vegetables first for any soup, stew, or chili before adding the liquid ingredients. Adds tons of flavor!
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    my traditional recipes include a tempering of cumin,mustard,curry leaves,turmeric and garlic in a tbsp of olive oil.
  • georgie_lou
    georgie_lou Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's not an ingredient...but I ALWAYS use baking paper when using the oven. No need for oils ever!!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    My secret ingredient is love!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Lemon juice is my secret for perking up almost any dish.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options

Me too! Can't get enough garlic, plus it goes perfectly with almost everything! haha
  • muddyroads
    Options
    Curry, cumin, cayenne, paprika- especially with vegetables
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Buggers.

Just kidding!

I really love adding cooked onions and garlic to a lot of my recipes.
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    My secret ingredient is LOVE! It makes even the flops of trying a new recipe that didn't turn out quite right taste a little better. I too use garlic and wine but never thought of coffee in gravy. I will have to try it. My must have magic ingredient is pure dry powdered vanilla. Not the vanilla flavor stuff but pure vanilla. I like it better than the liquid alcohol based kind. I add it to smoothies, baked apples, sugar free muffins, coffee, ice water, dessert mixes, sugarfree pudding, fruit salad, etc. I buy it online and it is much better and cheaper than what I was using before.
  • RubyRubixcube
    RubyRubixcube Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    everything I cook has brown onion, a tbsp or more of garlic fresh crushed garlic & olive oil.

And just a dash of anger to make it more zesty :P
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    If you are going to boil something, boil it either in chicken broth instead of water... or add saffron to the water... makes a WORLD of difference!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Add this to your rice, broths and marinades

6a00d8341bfb1653ef016305ce9560970d-550wi
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options

Me too! Can't get enough garlic, plus it goes perfectly with almost everything! haha

Me three.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I salt the hell out of everything. Other people would say it's too salty. Tastes good to me, though!
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    A little EVOO, sea salt, cracked pepper, and my secret spice curry powder, on roasted veggies.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Salt. When in doubt, salt it out.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I literally use Tony's Chachere's in EVERYTHING i cook.