Does it matter?

Ok, so I have a calorie goal of 1340 a day. I eat breakfast and lunch with snacks throughout, and tend to eat most of my calories at dinner. Does it matter how you eat the calories, as long as you stick with your calorie goal? What if I ate one meal that was 1340 calories and didn't eat anything the rest of the day, does that matter? Just curious!

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Don't make things harder for yourself than they need to be - eat your calories when it fits into YOUR lifestyle/routine.
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Don't make things harder for yourself than they need to be - eat your calories when it fits into YOUR lifestyle/routine.

^^^^ THIS!!

Seriously, do what works for you, and don't worry about what other people are doing.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    It doesn't matter when or how you eat them. I eat most of mine at supper.
  • sparkie51
    sparkie51 Posts: 98 Member
    I find keeping my blood sugar on level helped me with my weight loss and that meant 3 meals and 2 snacks per day
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Some will say it does not matter. As long as you are not running out of energy, feeling faint or hungry or have low energy working out. Some people do better with keeping a reasonable amount of fuel going throughout the day. I'm in the latter category.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    I eat a lot of mine at supper. It's just the way that works best for my family schedule.
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    I think even is a *little* better, but if it is working for you I would not mess with it
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member

^^^^ THIS!!

Seriously, do what works for you, and don't worry about what other people are doing.

Yep. I agree. I work nights. Sleep is very important to me. I tried doing broken up sleep and it just doesn't work for me. I need my 6-8 hrs of straight sleep. Because of this I sometimes eat all of my calories in 1 meal.
  • serenity216
    serenity216 Posts: 512 Member

^^^^^ Agreed!!!
  • I don't think it matters. Just do what works for you. If you are eating the majority of your calories at one meal and the weight loss slows down or stops then you can try eating smaller meals...
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    I eat about 1/4 at breakfast, 1/4 at lunch (or if less, I have a snack to make up the difference) and then about 40% at dinner so that I can have a dessert most days, or the whole 1/2 at dinner. Did this throughout my weight loss eating a 500 calorie deficit each day (approximately) and lost just under a lb per week.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    I think as long as it works for you, it works for you. I tend to eat a moderate (1/4 of my daily cals) for breakfast, a larger lunch (about 1/2 to 2/3rds of the remaining cals), a light snack (100 cals or so), and the remainder for dinner. I work out in the evening and having a lighter dinner in conjunction with my exercise helps me feel lighter in the morning, which I like. Usually I eat around my BMR, which is higher than my suggested calorie intake, but thats why I work out.

But I think that as long as your eating habits help you accomplish your goals, it really doesn't matter.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    your metabolism starts out strong in the morning and slowly slows down through the day. Its best to eat freq they say to keep it up, though I think three meals is still ok. Its easier to do three than six for a lot of ppl. Also, what you eat can affect it. I did not do much but count portion sizes of my junk food to start, but slowly started eating healthier. It will count at some point. The lower you go, the harder to lose.

One nutritionist (kimberly snyder) suggested at dinner its best to eat veggies before meat due to stomach acids weakening and food rotting if eatin after meat. I think stopping about two hours b4 bed is ideal. Though small late snacks are ok on occasion.

BUT - its said its best to learn to change ONE THING AT A TIME. TO MANY CHANGES AT ONCE CAN BE OVERWELMING. This can lead to ppl giving up all together or big cheats/mess ups.

Get use to the calorie counting first, you have time to learn the rest later. ;)
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    I agree with pretty much what everyone else has said....just do what works for you.
  • Do what works for you - with that being said though, I do notice that when I have most of my carbs/calories for breakfast then go smaller and smaller throughout the day and have a small dinner with less carbs around 5/5:30pm the scale does show less the next day.
  • sharleengc
    sharleengc Posts: 792 Member
    I don't think it matters. I am a dinner eater so I'm the same way! I keep my breakfast around 200 and my lunch around 300 then 200 for snacks/desert and the remaining 600ish for dinner
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    It is not true that you have to keep your metabolism going by eating several times. Most people prefer to eat several times but it is just that, a preference. If going for long periods without eating doesn't make you feel faint or need to binge then you can eat one big meal. It's just a matter of finding what works for you. I need to save a lot of calories for evening because I love to snack after dinner, so knowing that about myself helps me plan my calories accordingly. My husband can eat just one meal and be good for the day.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    I dont think it matters, but for me its better to spread my cals out over the day. I usually have a lighter breakfast and a big dinner, with a couple snacks, mostly because I find I get hungrier in the evening, no matter how big my previous meals were.
  • I think it's better to spread smaller meals throughout the day to keep your metabolism going and your temptation satisfied.