half iron man in March

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm going to do a half iron man in March...with that being said, I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as far as form goes for swimming and biking (I'm an experience distance runner - I'm running my second full marathon on Sunday, and I have completed 8 halves), nutrition, or training programs. If you have links, suggestions - I would love to hear from you. Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    that's really cool. I've only done sprint Tris before what distances do you have to hit? As far as form, if it''s open water practice your backstroke, so that you can alternate styles if you need a breather
  • johnlatv
    johnlatv Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    check out beginnertriathlete.com they have entire section of Half IMs.

a quick thing on form, with swimming, i made sure i could reach out as fas as i could with my hand in the water, it would turn you body naturally and when you bring your hand back make sure your thumb hits your waits before your hand comes out.

biking -- pedal like you are getting gum off your shoe, you'll know what i mean when you do it.
  • bighorsecreek
    Options
    Doing Beach 2 Battleship Half in 18 days.
    Swimming - the very best thing you can do is find a good swim coach and take 3-4 half hour lessons. You can learn a lot by watching UTube videos but nothing beats a good coach.
    Cycling - Can get answers to almost anything on this forum = http://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php

Good luck!!!
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I have done several sprints and a couple olympics and just completed a half ironman training group (14 week) program. I had a really hard time learning to open water swim distance. The thing that helped me was to learn to slow down and relax my core. Once I got past the mental block and fear of swimming ow it got much better!

I would recommend checking into a local triathlon club or training group. I think it's much harder to train alone. Find people who are above your level to train with and they will push you to get better. I train with multi-ironman finishers and they have pushed me beyond my own limits.

Happy Tri-ing!
  • Carmelinak
    Carmelinak Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input!! :) I will check those out!