is it just me?

Options
I can never eat my 1200 a day net. I normally have around 500-800 left a day. But that is with exercise included. I eat about 600 a day since I started my diet 36 days ago. And I M now 28lbs lighter. Is this just me or do you do this too. I'm afraid if I eat that much I will gain weight. TIA tammy

Replies

• MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Noo, I tend to do this too sometimes. :(
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I have a difficult time most days meeting the 1200 count. :( I'm usually way under even without exercise.
  • bethanylaugh
    Options
    this will catch up with you and won't be sustainable in the long term... i would recommend inserting a handful of nuts or a glass of skim milk in between meals. i know the feeling of the fear of your weight loss halting... but trust me, you have to have a sustainable diet in order to keep it up!!! slow and steady is worth it in the end. :-)
  • Linda09189
    Options
    you can't tell me your not hungry because if you weren't then you would need myfitnesspal to lose weight....it's like going drastic measures from one extreme to the next....you eat whatever you want and then gain weight, then when you decide to lose it you have to make your calories so low and say I'm not hungry......fat ppl don't get fat cause there hungry it's because we make bad choices......I believe whatever works for you just do it.....but losing weight is more to me about being healthy....good luck
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    UMMMMM no. Because I have common sense =)
  • Selk68
    Selk68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have days when I get busy and forget to grab something to eat every two hours (which is what I am for - to keep the hunger at bay and my energy going...) and sometimes have days when I'm "down and out" 'n just don't feel like eating... Those days I will sometimes not meet my 1200 NET calories.... BUT I keep Greek Yogurt, Nuts, Chocolate Peanut Butter flavored Protein mix, Apples and Bananas at home all the time... Near the end of my day, if I'm not within 100 calories or so of my NET calorie goal, I will eat whatever combination of the above foods (or something else, if desired - but those are my "go to" staples haha) to bring my NET at least near my goal... I've lost almost 80 since early January, so it seems to be working... and I am almost never "starving" like a lot of my friends are... ;)
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I think that the jews in concentration camps were fed more than that. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/Holocaust/auconditions.html

I had a friend kill her metabolism with that type thing.
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    you can't tell me your not hungry because if you weren't then you would need myfitnesspal to lose weight....it's like going drastic measures from one extreme to the next....you eat whatever you want and then gain weight, then when you decide to lose it you have to make your calories so low and say I'm not hungry......fat ppl don't get fat cause there hungry it's because we make bad choices......I believe whatever works for you just do it.....but losing weight is more to me about being healthy....good luck

Um, that's rather rude. Not everyone has to eat and eat and eat to be overweight. There are such things as slow metabolism, or having a condition that makes it hard to actually lose weight even when you eat what a "normal" person eats. Please think before posting, because you really can hurt someone with those kinds of words.
  • KelleyRob
    KelleyRob Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I wish I was under calories every day. I guess if I exercised every day it would be easier. I'm so glad you don't have an issue with the hunger. Makes it easier. Keep up the good work girlie!!!:flowerforyou:
  • tamia11
    tamia11 Posts: 28
    Options
    Thank you
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    What MorbidMander said. That wasn't necessary.

I was actually NOT that hungry when I was eating about 1400cals a day AND exercising (not eating my exercise calories). I would have to force myself to eat. Just this past week I have increased because I am lifting weights. While I was a bit scared I would gain, I didn't... and I'm STILL struggling to eat to my goal day.

I just don't get hungry sometimes, I am just SO busy sometimes that I forget to grab a snack or pre-cook my lunch to take with me to class. Nobody is perfect.

That said, if you ARE hungry - eat! Eat healthy snacks! Nuts, a banana, cranberries - those are my go to snacks. (though I am getting burned out on almonds).

Don't be afraid to eat more, because honestly, it's a combination of what you eat AND exercise/your activity level.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Wow, a little judgmental? This is a common phenomenon with people who are losing weight, especially those who have lost it before and gained it back. (I have been down and up and down and up through two pregnancies, and every year that passes it gets harder for me...) You see your success and are so afraid to lose it that you start to eat less and less.

And for the woman who said above, "don't say you aren't hungry," well how do you know how she feels? Eating more protein and complex carbs DOES make you less hungry. I personally gained weight from eating blindly, regardless of hunger, so once again it comes down to psychology. People don't overeat and get fat because they feel so good about it, and nobody is ever so hungry that they need to eat double or triple what their bodies require to get through the day. If we only ate to satiate hunger, NOBODY would be fat - it happens in spite of ourselves, and there is a lot of personal baggage that comes into it.

Now, to the person who said to sneak in a small handfull of nuts or whatever (I add olive oil to my veggies when I come in low), that was excellent advice. :)
  • tamia11
    Options
    Thank you to those who were NOT rude to me and helping me. No I don't eat and eat and eat! I never have. I just didn't eat healthy. I'm kicking butt not eating that much. But was just curious if other people were in the same boat. I joined on here because I heard people were actually nice and supportive. Guess I was wrong! Again thank you to the people that actually do care and have a heart!
  • Sub30RAT
    Sub30RAT Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue but it is generally due to that amount of training that I do. Someone suggested some skim milk or a handful of nuts to bring that up a bit. I second that. When I first started to drop pounds I had to be careful not to way under eat.

Good luck and stay strong.
  • spiraldonut
    Options
    Your bmr will be at least 1300 calories per day. This is what your body burns if you do absolutely nothing all day long, Ie, what it needs just to stay alive. Including any activity you will use a lot more than this. Having your calories so low (600 will send your body into starvation, even if you are not physically hungry). Your body will try to compensate for this by slowing your metabolism and as it thinks there is not much food, will try to hang on to as much fat as possible. While you will lose fast at the start, you will end up having huge difficulties maintaining later on. Your body will also likely start eating into your muscle mass. 1200 is an absolute minimum and is too low for many people whose BMR is a lot higher. A good rate to eat is your BMR, at that rate everything you burn each day, even light everyday activities is contributing to weight loss while your body is told it is eating enough to cover basic functions and not to try to compensate.

Good luck!

As a note, when I was anorexic I was limiting myself to around 500-700cal a day, so do be careful.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options

Wow, a little judgmental? This is a common phenomenon with people who are losing weight, especially those who have lost it before and gained it back. (I have been down and up and down and up through two pregnancies, and every year that passes it gets harder for me...) You see your success and are so afraid to lose it that you start to eat less and less.

I guess I am, but it's true. Why would you purposely eat that little and expect to keep the weight off? it's just silly! I have been pregnant, I have kids, I have a thyroid disorder, I don't make excuses. I am becoming more HEALTHY and when the weight comes off, it comes off. Main point, I'm not rushing it and this is about being healthy, not getting weight off ASAP. I am in this for the long haul, not looking for a quick fix. Sorry if you find that judgmental, but to me, it's truth.
  • tamia11
    Options
    Morbid didn't say it. It was linda
  • tamia11
    Options
    Just because I dont eat it all does not mean I am not healthy. I am healthy but was asking for people with the same issues. Not for rude comments.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

Um, that's rather rude. Not everyone has to eat and eat and eat to be overweight. There are such things as slow metabolism, or having a condition that makes it hard to actually lose weight even when you eat what a "normal" person eats. Please think before posting, because you really can hurt someone with those kinds of words.

LOL @Both Comments.
  • KatFerrie
    Options
    There are some days I'm not as good about it as others. Before I started my 90-Day Challenge I wasn't getting the best and most nutrient-dense food I could for the calories ingested. Now, I know what I need to fuel my body and I don't even have the slightest desire for the sugary, empty-calorie foods I used to. I actually crave raw apples or celery (with a little PB) or pretzels or wheat crackers with some neufchantal cheese. I have my protein-based nutrition shakes for breakfast and lunch, a delicious supper, and good snacks in between each and I don't have to focus my day on counting calories. My body is figuring out what works best. I seem to do better when I make sure that my snacks have a little fiber and protein and I have at least a couple cups of water or a glass of milk. I hope you have better luck getting the calorie thing under control. I've heard and experienced a bit of that "starvation mode" because of not having enough to keep my metabolism up. You'll get it!