Vitamix blender, are they worth it?

Options
1a1a
1a1a Posts: 762 Member
I got to sample some blends from a vitamix on the weekend, a green smoothie and raw soup, it all tasted amazing, but they cost $700. Has anyone splashed the cash? Was it worth it?

Replies

• _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i am more-so bumping this than anything. my fiance wants one SOOOO BAD because Joe Rogan always ravvesssss about it. I know a few people that have it and swear by it. One girl i know said if her house was on fire and she could take one thing it would be the vitamix. hahaha so i'm debating going halfers or not
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I really want a Vitamix or a Blendtec. My ex-bf had a Blendtec and it was awesome. I am really balking on spending $500 on a blender though. Maybe if I get a higher paying job. Haha
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    if I had the money...prolly not. Since I dont..hell no.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love ours!!! Worth every dollar we spent on it... got ours off QVC on the 5 install deal so it was like 93.00 bucks a month.. We went with the 64 oz. model and only thing I would suggest is if you do not have the cabinet height (it will not fit under traditional height cabinets..) We have an island area for ours so it is no big deal.. But if you are going to keep it out on the counter then go with the model with the 48 oz. pitcher. the motor units are the same they just make it with the 48 oz pitcher to fit under cabinet.. We make all kinds of stuff in ours....... Best of Luck
  • maricash
    maricash Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Cook's Illustrated gave the Vitamix 5200 a great review, but they rated a cheaper blender, Breville Hemisphere Control, just as highly and it costs half as much.

gddrdld mentioned the Blendtec. They gave the Blendtec Total a terrible review and said it couldn't crush ice properly, while over-blending a smoothy to soup-like thinness.

I don't own any of these products, but I have found Cook's to be pretty reliable in their reviews.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I bought a 15 dollar blender, and it is still going strong 6mos later. Now, if it lasts me a year...it will still take me 46 and a half years to reach 700 dollars.

I use it to make smoothies (veggie, fruit, ice) and it does a darn good job. They aren't chunky.
  • mishomart
    mishomart Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used mine a LOT when we first bought it....as in every single day. Now we only use it once or twice a week. That being said, I bought it refurbished from the vitamix website for righ around $400. I live in northern Saskatchewan and it got here so fast!

It does work very very well, and you can do all sorts of neat things with it. I'd say that if you know you'll use it, go for it. If you won't use it very often...stil go for it. The warranty they offer is fantastic and lots of reviews I've read have said "I've had my vitamix for 7,10, 12 years and it's still going strong"
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    They are not 700 bucks people...... run about 450....... just sayin... lol
  • AnnaMC1977
    Options
    I would LOVE to buy one! I love them (rich friend has one), but I cannot afford one. A Ninja is a more affordable choice...
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I got mine at costco in Canada for $450, worth every single cent! I make everything from soup, to batter to smoothies in there.
    I've never actually seen them higher than $450, shop around.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    My mother in law is obsessed with hers.

This, of course, is enough for me to never even want to see one in person. You know, logically and all.
  • BlisterLamb
    BlisterLamb Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've had a vitamix for about 10 years and I just bought a blendtec. They both work pretty much the same, but the blendtec is easier to get stuff out of. I never used the vitamix as a food processor because the stuff I was processing would get under the blades and it was hard to get out. Its narrow at the bottom. Blendtec is much easier to get stuff out of and I use it more. Its lighter and takes up less space on the counter. And the container isn't huge. I always had a hard time finding a place to keep the vitamix container. They are pretty comparable to each other, but if I had to recommend one I would say go with the blendtec because it's pretty much the same and it costs less and is just more convenient overall.
  • gogonunubean
    gogonunubean Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    We got gifted a 20 year old Vitamix - they are awesome. Ice, frozen fruit - you name it, it blends it. You can also make soup with them, which you can't do with a normal blender!

We love ours :smile:
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    It is worth every single penny! I love mine. I use it for everything, every day and most days twice a day.
  • fuselighter
    fuselighter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I love mine, but bought it on Craigslist for $100. I do not use it too much because it is put away and a little hard to get to. I have a magic bullet that gets more use than the Vitamix just because it is so much lighter.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I never understood what the big deal was until I took a raw vegan cooking class where we used the Vitamix for every course. It is so powerful! Much like the KitchenAid mixer that I never thought I needed until I got one, it is probably worth having if you use the blender a lot because it works better and will probably last forever.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I've had a vitamix for about 10 years and I just bought a blendtec. They both work pretty much the same, but the blendtec is easier to get stuff out of. I never used the vitamix as a food processor because the stuff I was processing would get under the blades and it was hard to get out. Its narrow at the bottom. Blendtec is much easier to get stuff out of and I use it more. Its lighter and takes up less space on the counter. And the container isn't huge. I always had a hard time finding a place to keep the vitamix container. They are pretty comparable to each other, but if I had to recommend one I would say go with the blendtec because it's pretty much the same and it costs less and is just more convenient overall.
    BlisterLamb, what Blendtec model do you recommend as an alternative? (Sorry for the rabbit trail response, 1a1a.)
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a blend tech from Costco. {I think it was around $350} My son uses it almost every morning for smoothies. I have been experimenting with creamed soups, using non fat evaporated milk. I also made a couple different pasta sauces. Still experimenting, but so far I like it and highly recommend it.
  • DavidYates79
    DavidYates79 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have had a Vitamix for around 7 years now and I love it! I don't use mine daily because I don't keep it on the counter, but when I do, I use it heavily. I had a switch issue after about 5 years, called for repair and had it back in about a week. The customer service was fantastic, and shipped and repaired free of charge. My parents have a blendtec, and after seeing them use theirs, I am very happy I got the Vitamix. I sometimes wonder if it was actually worth the cost since I don't use it daily, but these things seem to last forever, and I would probably have gone through two normal blenders already while being less satisfied.