Question for 50+ lb losers that started off at over 200 lbs

Options
Im currently 249, down 16 lbs from 265. My ultimate goal is 180lbs and go from there, I have never been skinny so I have nothing to go by as to what I would look like. My biggest concern is my "fatty pack".. you know, that fun bundle of jiggle below your navel? For those that have lost 50 or more.. what was your experience while losing weight? Did it come up to meet the rest of your stomach? Did it just deflate? Is it hanging for dear life? The unknown is scary, all I can see is me with a flat tummy, only to have this horrible squishy sack just sitting there. Im currently doing Jillian Michaels Body Revolution and plan to move on to combine other dvd's of hers once I finish. Any pics of before and after or even tips as to what I could do. I know results may vary because every body is different but any suggestions or just plain motivation would be great.

Replies

• waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I lost from 262 to 187 (75 lbs). I kinda looked like a deflated balloon for a bit. But I switched to a calorie surplus and bulked for a while afterwards to both wait it out a bit and increase my muscle mass to tighten things up (also because the loose skin made it hard to figure out how much fat I had left). It worked pretty well, 6 months ago was probably the peak of loose skin (it went down a little as I got into the slow going last 5 lbs), and I've been bulking now 4 months. Its a smidge looser than I'd like, but not noticeable at all really and I have a lot of confidence that a little more time is all that is needed. The deflated balloon look is totally gone.
  • SWilkins75
    SWilkins75 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

Anyways here's me at 240.. July 2005
    fat.jpg

I have to ask. What is going on in this picture? lol
  • klacount77
    klacount77 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I lost from 262 to 187 (75 lbs). I kinda looked like a deflated balloon for a bit. But I switched to a calorie surplus and bulked for a while afterwards to both wait it out a bit and increase my muscle mass to tighten things up (also because the loose skin made it hard to figure out how much fat I had left). It worked pretty well, 6 months ago was probably the peak of loose skin (it went down a little as I got into the slow going last 5 lbs), and I've been bulking now 4 months. Its a smidge looser than I'd like, but not noticeable at all really and I have a lot of confidence that a little more time is all that is needed. The deflated balloon look is totally gone.

Now that is excellent information!
    I have lost a little over 60 pounds and currently deal with the ugly deflated sack ( I call it the apron). I have similar worries regarding the skin never shrinking ...

Great post!
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have lost a hundred pounds over 3 times with each pregnancy and yes it is a scary thing to face but I use Jergens body firming lotion and it helps immensely when I get below 200 pounds.
  • RellaBelle
    RellaBelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing ladies, I really do appreciate it! Congratulations to everyone on what they've accomplished so far. What Ive learned is it's pretty much unavoidable but lotion and bulking at one point may help. Could someone explain the bulking/calorie surplus to me for future reference?
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have lost a hundred pounds over 3 times with each pregnancy and yes it is a scary thing to face but I use Jergens body firming lotion and it helps immensely when I get below 200 pounds.
    Sorry Palmers not Jergens.
  • heylittlesisterr
    Options
    That's a very, very good question that I've always wanted to ask because I've never been skinny either. Haha. You said, "fatty pack" and it cracked me up because I IMMEDIATELY knew what you were talking about. I call it my kanga pouch. XD

Anyways, to the point. It also depends on your height, girl! My heaviest was 265/267lbs and now I'm right under 200lbs. I still have one currently and I'm 5'11". But ( because I was 180lbs a few months ago ) at 180lbs I did finally notice it'd gotten smaller. We have a tendency to still see the image of ourselves in the mirror that we left behind a while ago. So yes, it does shrink. Mine is just not completely gone.

I wish I had a picture of me back at my heaviest but my computer crashed. But this was August of this year. 200lbs. Please forgive the pretentious tiara. It was my birthday and for the first time, I wanted to dress up and feel like a princess. ( I was trying to work on my self confidence. )

zulb9k.png

Now as you can see, my arm's still got flab and if you could see outside of the black, I've still got the pouch. Small, but yeah. It's still there.

55g6r.png

In this one, it's more visible. Same weight, just a few months prior. You can see the visible ring above the pants and yeah, the kanga pouch is below. Yeyyy for muffintops, right? Yeah. Greeeaaaatttt. But from the first picture, you can see that your collar bones will start to protrude and things like that. I was shrinking back ( it was the first time I'd ever taken a full body shot of myself and was nervous but doing it because a friend had asked months previous... he was trying to help me with my confidence lol ) in the second picture, so you can't see how your neck slims in that one. As far as your breasts shrinking? I personally don't know what people are talking about. As I lose weight, they get BIGGER. So if that happens to you, we might just be the rarity. When I started losing, I was a D. I'm a DD. Almost to the next level now. It's been three good years. =/

So as you can see, even at my height, I've still got a wayyy to go. More strength training. Tone up to catch up with all my cardio. I JUST got back into the groove of things ( you know how life gets ) and I haven't been taking in that many calories because I'm fasting with my church. But cardio about five times a week, strength three just as the lady above. Who looked GOOD! Dang, girl! You worked off so much! Good for you!

So be encouraged! It does go away. I, personally, suspect that at 170 the pouch will be completely gone for me. I just have to tone up because I drop weight quickly when building muscle. ( Muscle burns fat. ) So it's a struggle for me to keep that balance. Also, don't freak out if you weigh in and see you've gained after doing strength training. Muscle is twice the weight of fat. It sent me into hysterics when I was training to go into the military.

Good luck!
  • anewnam715
    Options
    Great question! I am just starting my weight loss journey and was wondering if the excess skin , that may still be hanging around after weight loss, will ever go away. I have the pooch :( I blame it on my c-section , lol
  • EZaccone85
    EZaccone85 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in late April

started 200 pounds
    now 170 pounds
    20 more pounds to go!!

before and after pictures
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/dracobabs69/911-912frontview.jpg
    http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h189/dracobabs69/911-912sideview.jpg
  • RellaBelle
    RellaBelle Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    @Vonalstyne: Don't apologize for the tiara.. you deserve to wear it! Whatever makes you feel good about yourself and helps build up your confidence. Hell, if I lose 65 lbs I'll put one on too and it wouldnt even have to be my bday lol. Im 5'4" maybe 5'5" but that definitely gives me hope. I didnt expect it to go away completely, it's been there far too long and has gone through 3 pregnancies with me, one being a twin pregnancy. What do you do for strength training? Is it just dumbbells or is it equipment at the gym? Between 4 kids, house work and a full time job, a gym is just not possible for me. Oh and about the boob thing, I already know mine will vanish. They've become more deflated with each kid so Im not even gonna get my hopes up in that department lol

@Anewman715: I've had 3 c sections, Im actually kinda afraid to see down there lol!

@Dracobabs69: You look really great and congrats on the loss!

When I started this, I new that excess skin would be part of the deal, just wanted to see what other peoples experiences were. Thanks so much for responding yall!!